Do you like a walk-in shower?

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2016, 03:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts
Default Do you like a walk-in shower?

We are planning to have a designer house built and one option is a walk-in shower in the master bath. At first we thought it would be kind of nice, but then we realized it takes up more space in the bathroom and it makes everything more crowded.

We like the normal shower in the patio villa we are renting so we thought that would be OK for us in a new home.

Is there any reason for getting a walk-in shower in our new home, except for the fact that it would probably increase the resale value?

Thanks in advance for you opinions.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Sage

I assume you are talking about the Roman Shower. Yes I do think it would help with value. I've kind of always liked the idea of it so that if I need to put a walker in it to lean on or a shower chair that it would fit. It has a handicap bar also to hold on to. I just really like ours a lot. It also has a bench to lean on when shaving legs.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:25 PM
Veteran member

I enjoy ours very much. I've heard people complain that they don't like them when it's cold because the steam doesn't build up and create warmth. I got a portable heater for our bathroom, so that's not an issue.

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 07-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We are planning to have a designer house built and one option is a walk-in shower in the master bath. At first we thought it would be kind of nice, but then we realized it takes up more space in the bathroom and it makes everything more crowded.

We like the normal shower in the patio villa we are renting so we thought that would be OK for us in a new home.

Is there any reason for getting a walk-in shower in our new home, except for the fact that it would probably increase the resale value?

It certainly makes it easier to take a shower for someone who is not completely mobile. We added two extra grab bars and now have a very safe shower environment.

To be honest, even if we didn't need it modified slightly, I would still prefer a Roman shower.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post

I love my walk in shower & I still have plenty of room in my bathroom. No more washing shower doors & easy in & out. This is a personal preference. I am sure whatever you choose it will be beautiful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2016, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

I like any kind of shower. Not fan of bathing in my own dirty water
Old 07-06-2016, 03:49 PM

We love our Roman shower. We plan to be here 'til we croak, and were looking ahead to days when a step-in might be difficult. As another stated, the seat is very nice for shaving, and if a illness strikes, you can sit down and shower.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:51 PM

It was the number one requirement for us in a new home. Also try to get it on an exterior wall so you get the natural light coming in.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:57 PM
Platinum member

I wanted a Roman shower so badly - it was high up on my list of "must haves". We found a house that had so many other things including outdoor space that we fell in love with so I settled for the walk in shower. If I had the option in building I would absolutely put in a Roman shower. If all things were equal (which they never are) but if they were I would choose the house withe the Roman.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Sage

A walk in shower is a must for any senior ,if you happen to fall in a shower with sliding doors, you could get sliced up--it happened in a community in NC
Old 07-06-2016, 04:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Thanks for all of your comments. It is clear that all of you really like a walk-in shower and I understand your reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjam View Post
It was the number one requirement for us in a new home.
That is an interesting comment. Why did you want a walk-in shower so much? Why did you believe it would be better than a non-walk in shower?
Old 07-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

We were lucky enough to be able to build our house, and the one big mistake was NOT getting the second walk-in shower for the guest bathroom. These are great.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Platinum member
Smile Great choice.

We renovated our bathroom in Tampa a few years ago and built a Roman walk in shower with added grab bars.

Now, in a wheel chair I can still get up to the shower, use a walker to step in, and sit in a shower chair.

I am thankful that we had the foresight to design a shower that I can still use although disabled.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We replaced the tub with a walkin shiower. We have two other tubs we could use. Think disabilities, wheelchair, old age.

Last edited by rjm1cc; 07-06-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Veteran member

I am currently lot/model shopping. A walk in shower is number one on my must have list.
Closed Thread

Tags
shower, walk-in, thought, home, patio

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.