Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Do you volunteer? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/do-you-volunteer-59799/)

angel222 09-01-2012 03:46 PM

Do you volunteer?

I see Volunteer Opportunities published in The Sun often... There seems to be many, many volunteer places available and I'd like to hear from all who do volunteer. Please describe the volunteer work, how long you've participated and why you do it...
Last year someone told me that groups like Operation Shoebox has too many volunteers...I don't know if that's true or not but it seemed strange to me..
Thanks!

BarryRX 09-01-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angel222 (Post 550174)
I see Volunteer Opportunities published in The Sun often... There seems to be many, many volunteer places available and I'd like to hear from all who do volunteer. Please describe the volunteer work, how long you've participated and why you do it...
Last year someone told me that groups like Operation Shoebox has too many volunteers...I don't know if that's true or not but it seemed strange to me..
Thanks!

I volunteer at The Villages Regional Hospital one day each week for 4 hours. I have a great job, driving the golf cart that transports folks from the visitors parking lot to the main entrance. I not only find it tremendously rewarding, but it also makes me appreciate all the play time I have the rest of the week. If you are interested, please pm me. I believe they are always looking for more volunteers.

asianthree 09-01-2012 06:16 PM

once i am done working i am doing what i want, when i want

borjo 09-01-2012 07:55 PM

When we first moved here I played and played, doing things I didn't do before, taking classes and being active. Well, the novelty wore off. I felt very self absorbed, selfish and unbalanced. Before we moved here I often was a volunteer in small areas during my working years and missed it. It wasn't until I began volunteering again with church related things, food pantry, Centisible Furnishings and as an officer in a club, that I felt I was more balanced and less lop-sided. I find volunteer work not only to be fun but essential. I CAN help so, why not? Find your niche, you'll be glad you did.

CFrance 09-01-2012 09:48 PM

Here is the web site for volunteer opportunities at Villages Hospital. Volunteering Opportunities | Leesburg Regional Medical Center and The Villages Hospital Are we allowed to post a web site? If not, just google The Villages Regional Hospital volunteer opportunities.

We too are going to be looking for volunteer opportunities when we start our 7-month stay. We volunteer at a supper house up here in MI. DH is a willing dishwasher, so all the ladies love him.

redwitch 09-02-2012 06:13 AM

I volunteer at the Mark Twain Library. The Mark Twain is an all-volunteer library located behind the Paradise Rec Center. All books, tapes, DVDs are donated. We frequently get best sellers before the County library does. I used to volunteer there once a week but my work schedule precluded that so now I volunteer as a sub and get to work at least twice a month.

One of the great things about TV is that there are so many options -- you can volunteer working with children at the schools or as a guardian ad litem; you can work with vets; you can work with animals; you can work with books; and so on and so forth. Figure out your interests and go from there. You can't go wrong and you'll know you're needed and appreciated.

Mimivillager 09-02-2012 10:06 AM

I love to sew. Therefore, I volunteer for charities which involve sewing.

The Giving Dolls makes dolls for children in distress like ERs and children's hospitals, adoption, etc. I make clothes for the dolls and matching blankets(crocheted).

I work in the sewing room at Operation Shoebox where we make the bags and stockings to send to the soldiers.

Busy Hands/Happy Hearts makes all sorts of things for various charities sewn,crocheted or knitted or whatever stitchery one chooses to do. Here again, I do sewing of baby kimonos for preemies, dolls for the hospitals, bibs and carrots for arthritic for nursing homes.

Bear Ladies make teddy bears for Boggy Creek Camp for critically ill children. We also give them to Toys for Tots and other charities upon request. I sew the teddy bears for this charity.

You asked why? It really makes me feel good to be doing these things for others. The doll clothes are fun to see the creations I can come up with and they are so cute. When I hear stories and see pictures of the children holding and loving the dolls, it really warms my heart to know I have helped to give some comfort to a child in distress. The bears are a challenge to sew and are also very cute when finished. The kids at Boggy Creek decorate them and get comfort from them.

angel222 09-02-2012 05:32 PM

Thanks to all that responded....I'm hoping more responses will be coming. I'm sure there are more than six volunteers in the villages ...lol!

lovsthosebigdogs 09-02-2012 08:34 PM

I'm not IN TV now so maybe you don't want to hear from me, but I volunteer now so I am sure I will continue to so it when I am not working full time and have more time to give. I am on the Library Board where I live and volunteer/fundraise, I foster greyhounds and volunteer with my greyhound group at meet & greets to foster greyhound adoption, I am a hospice volunteer with my Therapy dogs, and I help with an organization booksale to raise money, I fundraise for a residential center for developmentally disabled adults.
Why do this? Because I think when we step outside ourselves to help others we can better appreciate how much we really are blessed. It just feels right to do something bigger than yourself.

momesu 09-02-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angel222 (Post 550174)
Thanks!

I just started volunteering with Operation Shoebox. Yes there are a lot of people volunteering for them but I've never noticed anyone standing around looking for a job to do. Everyone keeps busy and every week there is more to do.

I moved to TV in October of last year and I have just began to volunteer on a regular basis. I took a while to sort through all the many opportunities. Right now I am working with Operation Shoebox, helping out with a 4-H group that is teaching sewing skills to youth, helping out with monthly craft sessions at an assisted living facility, and doing various sewing projects for various charities. I also try and volunteer in various positions at some of the clubs I belong to.

TV is a wonderful place to live and most of us have worked really hard in order to get here. As I see it though I worked hard I still am very blessed to be here and I want to pass on some of those blessings to others. I'm not sure I will stay with my current volunteer places forever, but I hope to be volunteering somewhere for as long as I have the ability to do so.

galeforce 09-03-2012 12:04 AM

I volunteer through our church and, I groom dogs for the local humane society. I drive my truck there when they get a biter no one else can handle. One of my bulldogs is a rescue and a therapy dog. He visits assissted living facilities and juvenilles in prison.

I'm glad this question came up. I have been considering starting a 501c3 that would rehab and find forever homes for dogs with disabilities, and dogs that are on death row in shelters across the country because of their disabilities from birth defects, injuries or abuse, such as the rescent burn case there in Miami. I would be looking for a few volunteers to help with therapy, and daily care, help with fundraising events, etc. This would take place at a store front.

I'll be making the decision by the end of the year. If this sounds like something that might interest any of you, please contact me.

CSilvestrucci 09-03-2012 12:05 AM

I volunteer at the Villages Hospital gift shop. I started in July and at first had 2 shifts per week because I was filling in for a lady who had gone north for the summer. Now I work Saturday afternoons only. It's a lot of fun and the people I work with are great. I felt the need to give something back because I feel so lucky and blessed to live in The Villages.

paulandjean 09-03-2012 07:23 AM

I use to volunteer with the county court system. Young teen males that had crossed paths with the police departments. These youths from troubled pasts where recommended by the local university in our community.Not able any longer...

Eve2278 09-03-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs (Post 550673)
I'm not IN TV now so maybe you don't want to hear from me, but I volunteer now so I am sure I will continue to so it when I am not working full time and have more time to give. I am on the Library Board where I live and volunteer/fundraise, I foster greyhounds and volunteer with my greyhound group at meet & greets to foster greyhound adoption, I am a hospice volunteer with my Therapy dogs, and I help with an organization booksale to raise money, I fundraise for a residential center for developmentally disabled adults.
Why do this? Because I think when we step outside ourselves to help others we can better appreciate how much we really are blessed. It just feels right to do something bigger than yourself.

"Why do this? Because I think when we step outside ourselves to help others we can better appreciate how much we really are blessed. It just feels right to do something bigger than yourself.

WELL SAID, thank you ...

Pooky 09-03-2012 02:12 PM

I volunteer as a driver for the Wildwood Soup Kitchen. I usually drive twice a month. It takes a total of about 1.5 hours start to finish. There are 4 routes and so some may take more time. My significant other goes with me but I have done it alone at times when he is not available. There is a need for cooks and others who help out in the kitchen and serve guests who come into the fellowship hall to eat. They are always happy to have new volunteers. I have done this for over 3 years. Snowbird volunteers are welcome.