A doghouse for Fred

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2017, 08:27 AM
Default A doghouse for Fred

Are courtyard villas the only viable option for those with large dogs? Fred is a muscular 80 pounds. According to his trainer Fred's breed has a high tolerance for pain. So I am afraid that an electric fence may not stop him from chasing a rabbit or other small animal.

I noticed that the owners of some resales have created their own fence by growing hedges. However unless I was fortunate enough to find one like that I assume it would take several years to grow one.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomoe1954 View Post
Are courtyard villas the only viable option for those with large dogs? Fred is a muscular 80 pounds. According to his trainer Fred's breed has a high tolerance for pain. So I am afraid that an electric fence may not stop him from chasing a rabbit or other small animal.

I noticed that the owners of some resales have created their own fence by growing hedges. However unless I was fortunate enough to find one like that I assume it would take several years to grow one.
Frequent trips to the Villages area dog parks might work too especially if you are close to Southern Trace Shopping Center. The 10 acre Doggie Doo Run Run is a mile north of that on CR101 near where CR101 intersects with CR103. This is near CR466 and the Villages High School and the Walmart in Oxford.

I know some people who come there twice a day with their big dogs who need to run.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Platinum member

there is a street called Nash Loop where there are single family houses with fences and a section of Pine Hills that were built with fences. You can find some of the older courtyard villas with large yards.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:06 AM

I dream of a courtyard villa for my dog. If you have the opportunity to buy one from the start, go for it! They have some nice ones on corner lots with lots of grass )
Old 04-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

You'd have to get ARC approval to build hedges all around your back yard and the odds of that occurring are somewhere between slim and none. The homes with fences are a bit low to keep in a large dog, unless a non-jumping breed such as a Saint. And, you're right -- electronic fences don't work for all breeds. (Once watched a Rhodesian Ridgeback run right through his fence without even pausing -- wasn't even chasing anything. Just wanted to run.) Your best bet is a corner lot courtyard villa if you don't have the time to take your dog to a dog park.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Gold member

We bought our dog a villa - actually moved from a designer home. Everyone is very happy!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 AM

I believe the weight limit is SUPPOSED to be 20lbs per animal no, idea who polices it as lots of large dogs around. Villages has new houses for sale( not Courtyards) that are fenced all round. Worth checking.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:29 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboza View Post
I believe the weight limit is SUPPOSED to be 20lbs per animal no, idea who polices it as lots of large dogs around. Villages has new houses for sale( not Courtyards) that are fenced all round. Worth checking.
I don't believe all districts have pet weight restrictions. I know ours doesn't. All dog parks have a small dog section and a large dog section for dogs over 30 pounds.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

There is not a weight restriction on dogs. Not in any of the deed restrictions, therefore any attempt would be arbitrary and unenforceable even if someone did try. There is one home left at 3283 Wise Way (VNH#390111), an Aspen, that is a designer home with a fenced yard still left for sale. Beyond this, your choices are a resale CYV or home with a fenced yard or a CYV in Fenney. Our 2 Golden Retrievers are very happy with the CYV we bought for them. Also don't think the CYVs are too small, there are many over 1800 sq ft that are quite roomy and comfortable, look for an Arlington, Fairmont/Wyndham/Avondale which are the larger CYV homes, may of the newer ones are stretched and have 2 car garages.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:07 PM
Gold member

Please abide by all the rules and regs. concerning your dog. It will greatly appreciated by those with and without dogs.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:57 AM
Veteran member
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboza View Post
I've never heard (or read) of a weight limit for dogs here in TV.

We have two dogs who weigh in at 75 and 85 pounds so I guess your information is incorrect.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
I've never heard (or read) of a weight limit for dogs here in TV.

We have two dogs who weigh in at 75 and 85 pounds so I guess your information is incorrect.
Incorrect information....here....NO....please tell me that's not true!
Closed Thread

Tags
fred, fence, created, resales, owners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.