Drivers with Medical Conditions

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2014, 06:22 AM

Although I agree with all previous statements, one must be careful when pulling another person's license. Case in point - I felt my husband no longer needed to drive (and doctors agreed), yet he continued to argue with me on this and said he would drive no matter what I did. I talked with the DPS about this and they told me that if I pulled his license and he continued to drive, we could be in worse trouble (especially financially if there were an accident). If there were an accident, insurance would not pay once they discovered his license had been pulled but yet he continued to drive. DPS advised not pulling his license as long as he was determined to drive. Not long after the DPS discussion my husband decided maybe he shouldn't drive anymore. I planted the seed but he felt he was in control because he made the decision. Had I not talked with the DPS first and just pulled his license, the outcome could have been worse.

Point I'm trying to make is be careful when pulling a loved one's license (especially if they are determined to keep driving). Trust me, I've been there and done that and this topic is not an easy one to deal with. I would have much rather had my husband in an accident with his driver license and insurance than without.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:43 AM
Sage

This problem is more psychological rather than physical in some cases. Physical problems cannot be denied, but some people insists on their being able to drive, as it takes away what they perceive as their "freedom".

They feel as they have been driving all their lives and can do it without having to think. However, taking their independence, is something they will fight tooth and nail, with the loving family member.

When my father exhibited signs that he could no longer drive, we took the car keys away from him. "We won the battle but lost the war". He subsequently would have no desire to go out of the house, and went quickly downhill from there!!! He died a couple of years later, from losing his ability to be independent.

One must careful as evaluating this type of situation is different for each person affected.

Another family member was driving in his nineties. He really couldn't see well. He would stop at a traffic light and have to wait for someone to blow their horn, before he knew it was safe to go. Fortunately, he stopped driving on his own, as he knew he was not a safe driver. A smart man who knew enough is enough, and quit on his own.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Gold member

In this area you really need to drive Defensively at all times! You never know what might happen next. Fortunately in the Villages most people are driving fairly slow.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsgypsylady View Post
Although I agree with all previous statements, one must be careful when pulling another person's license. Case in point - I felt my husband no longer needed to drive (and doctors agreed), yet he continued to argue with me on this and said he would drive no matter what I did. I talked with the DPS about this and they told me that if I pulled his license and he continued to drive, we could be in worse trouble (especially financially if there were an accident). If there were an accident, insurance would not pay once they discovered his license had been pulled but yet he continued to drive. DPS advised not pulling his license as long as he was determined to drive. Not long after the DPS discussion my husband decided maybe he shouldn't drive anymore. I planted the seed but he felt he was in control because he made the decision. Had I not talked with the DPS first and just pulled his license, the outcome could have been worse.

Point I'm trying to make is be careful when pulling a loved one's license (especially if they are determined to keep driving). Trust me, I've been there and done that and this topic is not an easy one to deal with. I would have much rather had my husband in an accident with his driver license and insurance than without.
Thanks for that information. I never would have thought of that.

Tal, what happened with your dad after the eye doctor had his license pulled?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.