Driving to TV with dog

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Default Driving to TV with dog

I'm driving back home to TV in January with my 8 ib yorkiepoo from NY. I have the first leg of the trip set up - NY to Richmond VA - and I have a good hotel booked but after that I'm lost. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions were to stay for the next leg of the journey. I'm thinking of driving about 6 to 7 hours then stop so I guess I'd be in SC in the southern part. After that I'm home free to TV! I'm traveling alone (woman) so safety is a factor for me. This is my first time doing this...wish me luck! I would have taken the autotrain but they won't take the dog...
Old 12-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel222 View Post
I'm driving back home to TV in January with my 8 ib yorkiepoo from NY. I have the first leg of the trip set up - NY to Richmond VA - and I have a good hotel booked but after that I'm lost. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions were to stay for the next leg of the journey. I'm thinking of driving about 6 to 7 hours then stop so I guess I'd be in SC in the southern part. After that I'm home free to TV! I'm traveling alone (woman) so safety is a factor for me. This is my first time doing this...wish me luck! I would have taken the autotrain but they won't take the dog...
la quinta hotels are pet friendly without surcharge. prices range from $59 and up.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:55 AM

The Hampton Inn on Hwy 21 , Port Wentworth, Ga. near Savannah, is nice and right off of I95, and, they do not charge a pet fee.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:48 AM

Go to the Holiday inn group website (IHG) and click on "find hotels on a route" and check the pet friendly box and it will give you all the hotels on your route that accept pets. Most Hiltons accept pets also. I'll try to add the website but Im not sure it will let me.
Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts | Book Hotel Rooms & Hotel Accommodations
Old 12-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Eternal Member

South of the Border accepted pets when I moved down here in 2001.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
We usually stay at La Quinta (we travel with two dogs). La Quinta offers a "free pets" policy.
We have also overnighted at Red Roof Inns. They also offer a "free pet" policy; but we find them less dependable as far as quality of rooms.
As a single woman, you may feel safer in a La Quinta as most offer interior rooms.
If you google La Quinta, you will find listings for South Carolina.

P.S. Some Marriott and Hilton Hotels advertise they are "pet friendly" but charge a hefty pet fee.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

We travelled in Dec 12 from eastern Long Island to TV with our 4 yr old beagle. We stopped in Fredericksburg and then next day drove to Port Wentworth,(Savannah area) Georgia. Hampton Inn as mentioned above was great, and no pet fee.

We left at about seven am and sailed on 195 even though it was a weekday.

95 to Ormond Beach, then 40 West to 19 South and to Marion County Road 42 into TV on Belle Meade up by Mulberry and bear right onto Buena Vista and straight on to Village of Hemingway.

Best wishes for a safe trip with your little one
Old 12-16-2014, 05:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We always travel with our pet. All La Quintas take pets at no extra charge. The newer inns are VERY nice"...some of the older ones, not so much. we have rarely been disappointed in la Quinta.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:59 PM

Thank you to everyone! Onslowe, I too am traveling from eastern Long Island to my home in Hemingway...thanks again!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Sage

Driving to TV with dog
I wouldn't let the dog drive. It doesn't sound safe. And how's he going to pay tolls. Have you thought this out?

Last edited by tomwed; 12-17-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
la quinta hotels are pet friendly without surcharge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
We usually stay at La Quinta (we travel with two dogs). La Quinta offers a "free pets" policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
We always travel with our pet. All La Quintas take pets at no extra charge.
I wish we'd discovered the La Quinta Chain years before we did.
When traveling with dogs, it's very hard to find a nice hotel that offers "two pets free".
One hotel (I think a Hyatt or a Marriott) said they were pet friendly.
They quoted an amount of $120 for a room plus an additional $80 per pet.
So be sure to ask before you book.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I wish we'd discovered the La Quinta Chain years before we did.
When traveling with dogs, it's very hard to find a nice hotel that offers "two pets free".
One hotel (I think a Hyatt or a Marriott) said they were pet friendly.
They quoted an amount of $120 for a room plus an additional $80 per pet.
So be sure to ask before you book.
That is so true, Bare. We have booked on Expedia, told them we had large dogs, and then when we pulled in late at night we were told they didn't accept pets or told there was an additional fee or told that our pets were too large. After several times having issues we decided to ONLY book at La Quinta motels and not take chances again. It seems some chains have different policies at different locations. Our dogs are large and we can't take the chance and we also don't want to pay the extra charges per pet. Our dogs don't bark and we don't allow them on the furniture. It seems so ridiculous to pay extra charges or be denied because of their size. Not worth it to me to search anymore so I stick with the one chain that doesn't play games, gives me rewards for booking with them and provides breakfast, all at a reasonable price.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

The other place that takes pets (once you get farther south) is Drury Inns. They have a free happy hour with enough food choices to make a meal out of (salads, baked potatoes, one main dish, free wine & cocktails) so that you don't have to leave the hotel to get dinner, which I think would be helpful for a woman traveling alone. No charge for pets.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Sage

Quote:

Many Hilton chain hotels accept dogs. Not do for Marriots though.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:15 PM

We have stayed at the La Quinta in Florence, SC several times.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.