Memories of Train Whistles from Way Back ...

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Gold member
Default Memories of Train Whistles from Way Back ...

Good idea, barb! The trains here in TV seem to get mixed reviews (so to speak). Let's see what we remember from 'days gone by'.... I'll start with mine that came up on another thread:

When I was a little kid, my extended family's summer home was way up in the Laurentian Mountains, north of Montreal just outside a little town called Prevost. Wood, big to accommodate whoever in our large family would show up, kind of ramshackle place where the water pump was left in place even after running water was put in the house, and flypaper hung in long strips in the huge screened porch where we ate. On the other side of the road and down a steep hill was the river where we swam.

Across the fields behind the house were the CNR train tracks. Can't remember how many times a day the trains would go by (not as many as in TV), and if we kids were out back, we'd run closer to the train to wave, and the conductor would never fail to wave back to us and blow the whistle--long blasts. What a reminiscence! I'd been away for decades when I had occasion to go back to visit some years ago; the train tracks are long gone, and the Laurentian Autoroute (or another highway, not sure) was built on the former track bed. Progress, I guess.... And part of why I enjoy the sound of the trains in the distance in TV from our home in Village of Belvedere!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.