E-Z Go vs. Yamaha Golf Cart

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Default Re: E-Z Go vs. Yamaha Golf Cart

I think the operating costs for electric are much more than a gas. We had to replace all our batteries within 2 years, at a cost of $650.00. We do about 15 miles a day, 5 days a week, so that's about 3800 miles a year, and I figure it costs about $2.00 to charge your electric, so yearly costs to drive 3800 miles is about $325 + $520 to charge the batteries, so that's $845 a year. In a gas buggy, At 40 miles per gallon, you'll use about 97 gallons of gas, at $3.00 a gallon,that's $300 to drive 3800 miles in a gas buggy. But the biggest thing is.............you dont' have to worry about RANGE, which is a problem we run into frequently.

Mark

Old 01-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Sage

Worm - Could you elaborate on the range issue. Where in TV do you live and why is range an issue? Many others have stated that they go play 18, then shop, then dine then go home with no issues.

Do you live on one end and have trouble getting to the other side?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Eternal Member

I am leaning toward a gas cart because of the range issue myself.

I don't really know how far the electric will go, but I know once it needs charging, it's 8 hours to get a charge. I know when my gas tank runs low, I only need to go to the gas station.

I am sort of odd when it comes to batteries, and I worry stupidly about things like my cell phone being charged, or leaving the dome light on in the car and having to jumpp-start. I know it's me, but what can I tell you.

I don't want to go to the store, play 18, come home and not be able to go out again because my cart's not charged enough to take me to the town square and back. Or maybe it's not.

So even though it's stinky and noisy, and lots of folks will not like me for it, I will definitely have a gas cart.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Doesn't someone make a gas car that burns cleanly? This must be an issue for gas carts everywhere. I have read that Par Car makes an electric with about double the normal electric range. I was thinking I read that most electrics go about 30 miles on a charge and the Par Car is about 60. I would have to think someone makes a gas that is quieter and makes less smell and therefor you might get the best of both worlds.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:12 PM

I have two carts. A four passenger gas Yamaha and a two passenger electric E-Z-Go. We prefer the electric and use it all the time. The gas is used only if we have company and we want to ride together. Same issues as everyone else--noise and fumes.

We have never had a problem with range on our electric. We live in Tall Trees and have ridden all around 466A and then to Spanish Springs and then play golf. At night the lights seem to make the batteries drain a little quicker but we truly have never had a problem.

Hope my comments make you more comfortable.

Coach
Old 01-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Sage

I have an electric Columbia Par Car which I absolutely love. lovehorse

I wanted something totally dependable as my husband (he who refuses to retire) is sometimes not around. My Par Car is dependable, quiet, great range, batteries easy to fill, on board charger, did I say mention very dependable?

Old 01-26-2008, 12:50 AM

We had to replace all our batteries within 2 years, at a cost of $650.00.
Mark, that is terrible if your batteries only lasted 2 years and cost $650 to replace.
We have 3 electric carts and never have we had to replace batteries that often. 5 to 7 years is the norm. We used Ken Spano and paid $425 for the batteries. It used to be no sooner then every 7 years but the repairman from Ken's says nearer to 5 years now because TV has grown so the carts are driven more miles.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

We have gas and I love it! The fumes don't bother me one bit. Since I'm in TV often without my husband I feel much more assured I won't get stranded with no one to call. Plus, I can tootle around almost all summer with only a couple fill ups. I absolutely love my gas cart!
Old 01-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Sage

Re gas carts, is it possible the noise and gas fumes are more bothersome to those people following the cart than the driver? Although I've heard that in a gas cart you can't have a conversation. :dontknow:

Since we live on a golf course, I love the quietness and lack of odour of the electric carts.
Somehow electric carts just seem to fit in with the whole TV lifestyle of cleanliness and consideration for your neighbours.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

I don't think any of us who own gas carts would view ourselves as inconsiderate people. I hope people's opinion of me is based on more than what type of cart I drive. There are personal reasons for each of us to choose either an electric or gas powered cart. I respect those reasons, whatever they are, and don't judge others by what they drive.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:26 AM
Sage

Sorry Brightspot. I didn't mean to imply that gas cart drivers are inconsiderate, and I find my own comments offensive! I do apologize, I misspoke. :redface: I know there are lots of reasons for choosing gas over electric. It is certainly a matter of personal choice. :bow:
Old 01-27-2008, 10:11 AM

Not to mention the gas cart drivers who are shouting at each other as they drive by your lanai in order to hear each other. :

Seriously, a key factor in battery longevity is keeping the batteries at the proper water level and charging regularly. Battery companies such as Surrette, Rolls and Trojan all manufacturers of heavy duty "deep cycle" batteries such as used in carts will tell you that if the battery is not allowed to discharge more than 80% of it's capacity it should be good for some 1500-2000 charge cycles. If it is allowed to go less than 80% frequently your number of cycles will drop dramatically, like in half (= $$$$).

Consult with a knowledgeable battery guy about what this means for your cart and how it relates to your gauge.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:20 PM

Russ.................We live in Mallory, and it's not umcommon for us to put 25 miles on in a day. They say range is what, 30 miles, but that's under ideal conditions. Say we make a trip to Spanish Springs, then run to the bank near the library, then run to Publix in the Colonial shopping center, that's about 24 miles. And I haven't even played golf yet !! It's going to get worse when Brownwood in finished. So that's why I feel range is a problem. If I had to do it again, I'd go gas.

Regards
Mark
Old 01-27-2008, 08:31 PM

Plan2beforever................Yes, replacing the bateries ever 2 years is terrible BUT........I talked at length with an engineer from Trojan (the battery manufacturer) and he did his calculations and says the way we use our cart (15 miles a day, 5 days a week) our batteries will only last 2 1/2 years. The golf cart salesmen either don't know, or are not telling us that how we use our carts determines how long the batteries will last. Each battery only has so many "Charge" cycles in it, and if you run the batteries down to 80% discharge before charging, you will have fewer charge cycles than if you charged it after the batteries were down to 20 % discharge.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I firmly believe that TROJAN has a problem with the reliability of their batteries. My friend has an electric that is 18 months old..........he's starting to have battery problems. Another friend has a PAR car..........he's having battery problems after only a year. I recently replaced my final 2 batteries and went with Exide batteries to see how they perform. Can anyone tell me where the Trojan batteries are manufactured ?

I'd like to hear about anyone's battery problems.

Regards
Mark
Old 07-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspot01
I don't think any of us who own gas carts would view ourselves as inconsiderate people.* I hope people's opinion of me is based on more than what type of cart I drive.* There are personal reasons for each of us to choose either an electric or gas powered cart.* I respect those reasons, whatever they are, and don't judge others by what they drive.*
To judge...or to be totally oblivious and uncaring about what goes on around us and our environment.* When I see someone dumping their ashtry out their window at an intersection - I can't help but judge.* When I see trash flying out of a Waste Management truck driving down the highway I judge.* When I see smoke and fumes belching out of any kind of motor vehicle, I judge.* Judge me for this. * There are personal reasons everyone has for doing whatever they do.* Nonetheless, these personal reasons do not make the action environmentally responsible, neighborly or considerate.*

There are circumstances where I would distance myself from an individual because of the vehicle he drives (based on my judgement).* For example, if he insisted on driving his oil-leaking vehicle onto my driveway.* Or if he frequently drove his straight piped Harley past my house setting of my security alarm with the 110 db exhaust racket and vibration.* In other words, there is a point when we would be stupid and masochistic not to "judge."* True, a gas-powered golf cart does NOT reach to that level.* They are only slightly annoying, but tolerable.*

I'm slightly annoying.* OK, very annoying.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.