Electrical Problems

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2015, 09:30 AM
Default Electrical Problems

I am having problems with my AFCI circuit breakers kicking randomly. There isn't anything wrong with the breakers. I have heard that it's possible that a "Ham" radio operator in the area may be causing this.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:40 AM
Gold member

Some homes have had the breakers pop in mass. Some say it is a HAM operator but I have seen no real proof of that. I have had it happen once and there is supposedly a fix for it by calling the warranty department. Your problem seems a little different since it is only the AFCI breaker. It could be moisture, a faulty AFCI or even a wiring or grounding problem. If it is chronic a call to the warranty department or an electrician would be prudent.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Some homes have had the breakers pop in mass. Some say it is a HAM operator but I have seen no real proof of that. I have had it happen once and there is supposedly a fix for it by calling the warranty department. Your problem seems a little different since it is only the AFCI breaker. It could be moisture, a faulty AFCI or even a wiring or grounding problem. If it is chronic a call to the warranty department or an electrician would be prudent.

I thought it was only the AFCI breakers that were the problem. A ham radio couldn't possibly trip a standard breaker.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Sage

Call the Electrical contractor who wired your house, the Eaton brand breakers have a 10 year warranty--they've been replacing them free.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:37 AM

I called home warranty on two of my homes, one in St James the other in LaBelle. They covered it under warranty. The electrician said it was from Ham Radio operators. The breakers originally installed were to sensitive. Call Home Warranty.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:16 PM
Veteran member

Although the internet is full of info re: hams and CBs tripping, I notice many here have a hard time believing the cause to be ham radio operators. We all want to believe our neighbors “wouldn’t do that to me.” My personal experience with a Ham is a not good one. I find they are like pit bull owners, very defensive. They spent a lot on their equipment, enjoy talking to people around the world, and it’s legal. So if you have a problem with it, too bad. If my legal hobby causes you grief, too bad. That’s my personal experience with a ham operator. Obviously not all are alike, but I thought I’d share.

Is it possible there are one or more people with a mobile unit, riding around TV with higher than legal signal power, just having fun blowing CBs? Yes it is.

I wish that was not a possibility but yes, there are those that enjoy this type of prank.

I hope for all residents of TV this is not the case.

Best thing is to walk the neighborhood and look for large antennas. If you see one, knock on the neighbor’s door. Hopefully, it will not get slammed in your face as happened to me.

ARRL Helps Manufacturer to Resolve Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter RFI Problems
Old 11-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

I called Home Warranty and they confirmed that ham operators do impact the break at certain frequencies. As I understand it, the manufacturer has confirmed and is on board to replace the breakers providing other possibilities don't exist. The breakers that trip for me are the kitchen, laundry room, garage, 3rd bedroom......so far.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-25-2015, 04:30 PM

we have had breaker problems,now the co.that installed them are coming to replace them.perry villas,in collier for a few of us at no charge.we will see?
Old 11-25-2015, 09:29 PM

Ours were replaced about two weeks ago and one tripped again two days ago.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:39 PM
Default Old Saying

Old saying.... If you can't fix it with a hammer its an electrical problem for sure!
Old 11-25-2015, 11:40 PM
Default Old Saying

Old saying.... If you can't fix it with a hammer its an electrical problem for sure! Not sure if this will help you?
Closed Thread

Tags
breakers, problems, ham, radio, area, causing, operator, wrong, afci, circuit, kicking, randomly, electrical, heard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.