Elizabeth "Liz" Berning Welcome Wagon - Scam

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Default Elizabeth "Liz" Berning Welcome Wagon - Scam

Hi everyone!

I just saw a post I could identify with and my internet went down so I decided to post my experience to try and save everyone from the same annoying rigamarole I just went through. Unfortunately due to my lack of internet skills and my rebellion against technology, I am just going to have to start a new thread.

So First: I'm a newbie and fell into the trap of "The Welcome Wagon" I got a basket of fruit that came stacked with some hoopla about this, that, and the other. Mostly a bunch of appointments I needed to make to buy things. Who is this woman and how can she claim she represents The Villages? not only that but how did she know I just moved in?? She was prepared for me and had some information about my husband and I that made this look like somewhat official Villages protocol. Does anyone have any information about this woman?

Second: Next thing I know "General Electric" is coming to my house to tell me my water is horrible and I need to pay $8000.00 or get cancer and kidney stones and other bacteria that could send me to the doctor mighty swiftly. I didn't buy that for a second! I couldn't see General Electric having the budget for a lawsuit of that magnitude to come in my new home and tell me I would get sick from the water. I haven't even been here 30 days and already I have to put up with this nonsense.

I have a couple of phone calls into the General Electric legal department and I am awaiting their response. The company is not General Electric from what General Electric has informed me of so far. Hopefully I can enlighten them on this little charade and get this Tas TAS T A S whatever that stands for Environmental a nice fat seize and desist letter on their door.

Lastly: I hope we can talk about this a little, maybe compare stories and get this company to stop trying to take us for fools. I may be older, but with age comes wisdom, this whole preconceived idea that people think they can get one over on us because we are older makes me a little testy.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Platinum member

Good for you for taking action. I found it most annoying also and quickly figured out there was no welcome wagon.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:05 PM

Thanks Jojo appreciate the encouragment!

I learned this little tidbit too

Elizabeth Berning is the owner of this little Welcome Wagon scam...
or Liz Berning

THE-VILLAGES, Florida (FL) Political Contributions by Individuals - Donations to Congress, local, or national races, Republican or Democrat and other candidates

turns out her husband Michael Berning is the Sales Manager here??
Careers in The Villages

could this be how she is getting peoples information when they move in? A little bit of a conflict of interest?? I am on hold with The Villages corporate right now! Sat on hold for quite some time - anyone have a number I can call to inquire about this?
Old 04-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Veteran member

We had a visit from the Welcome Lady 4 years ago right after moving in. She wasn't pushy and came with several useful gifts including a nice coffee mug, discount coupons and a free Villages golf cart annual service. No hard sell and saved us about $100.

Water guys were a hard sell and we got rid of them pretty quickly. I think they did give us a $20 gift card.

Bottom line - if you don't want these folks in your home, don't let them in.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Sage

I was blessed when I moved here, to not have phone service, and quickly put my phone, on the "do not call" registry list when I did get one.

I didn't answer the door either unless, I had contacted someone, for an appointment.

I refused to give the sales office my cell phone number, so I would have to contact them, if I needed anything.

I got many calls from water testing people and they hung up, when my answering machine picked-up. One guy got thru, but I shot him down quickly, as he started arguing with me.

"CLICK" was my response.

Good luck, in trying to straighten out, these hunchback people.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGal View Post
Hi everyone!

I just saw a post I could identify with and my internet went down so I decided to post my experience to try and save everyone from the same annoying rigamarole I just went through. Unfortunately due to my lack of internet skills and my rebellion against technology, I am just going to have to start a new thread.

So First: I'm a newbie and fell into the trap of "The Welcome Wagon" I got a basket of fruit that came stacked with some hoopla about this, that, and the other. Mostly a bunch of appointments I needed to make to buy things. Who is this woman and how can she claim she represents The Villages? not only that but how did she know I just moved in?? She was prepared for me and had some information about my husband and I that made this look like somewhat official Villages protocol. Does anyone have any information about this woman?

Second: Next thing I know "General Electric" is coming to my house to tell me my water is horrible and I need to pay $8000.00 or get cancer and kidney stones and other bacteria that could send me to the doctor mighty swiftly. I didn't buy that for a second! I couldn't see General Electric having the budget for a lawsuit of that magnitude to come in my new home and tell me I would get sick from the water. I haven't even been here 30 days and already I have to put up with this nonsense.

I have a couple of phone calls into the General Electric legal department and I am awaiting their response. The company is not General Electric from what General Electric has informed me of so far. Hopefully I can enlighten them on this little charade and get this Tas TAS T A S whatever that stands for Environmental a nice fat seize and desist letter on their door.

Lastly: I hope we can talk about this a little, maybe compare stories and get this company to stop trying to take us for fools. I may be older, but with age comes wisdom, this whole preconceived idea that people think they can get one over on us because we are older makes me a little testy.
GE Water Softener?

Village Welcome to Explain Water?

What's With All The Solicitation Phone Calls?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:41 PM

Wow - this is a lot of posts on the same subject and thanks so much for the links. So to summarize - How is the woman who owns the Wecome Wagon, Liz Berning married to the Sales Manager at the Villages - the Bernings have some explaining to do. So how does this work - is our information given out when we move in? Also TAS Environmental is NOT General Electric - why are they allowed to wear General Electric uniforms and say they are employed by GE... this is preposterous! As I said previously I have a call into GE's legal department and they said they are going to have an investigator call me back within 48 hours. How do we get to the bottom of the Welcome Wagon lady? I have a bad taste in my mouth and it isn't from the water.

Adding: logdog - I'm glad your experience wasn't offensive to you and you actually ended up saving you some money. I didn't enjoy my experience it made me feel apprehensive about the things coming from the Villages and I don't want to start my experience based on a bitterness. All I would like at this point is the truth, maybe it can't be stopped and maybe the Villages is allowing for it to transpire but I still would like the truth either way.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:00 PM

hmm

Last edited by loveinthesun; 05-07-2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: just would like it removed
Old 04-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

You may want to call these folks and ask.

Sumter County Office
Seniors Vs Crime Project
Sumter County Sheriffs Annex
8035 East CR 466-Suite C
The Villages, FL 32162

Open: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
Hours: 10:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.
Phone (352) 689-4600 Ext. 4606

Fax: (352) 689-4601
Old 04-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGal View Post
Wow - this is a lot of posts on the same subject and thanks so much for the links. So to summarize - How is the woman who owns the Wecome Wagon, Liz Berning married to the Sales Manager at the Villages - the Bernings have some explaining to do. So how does this work - is our information given out when we move in? Also TAS Environmental is NOT General Electric - why are they allowed to wear General Electric uniforms and say they are employed by GE... this is preposterous! As I said previously I have a call into GE's legal department and they said they are going to have an investigator call me back within 48 hours. How do we get to the bottom of the Welcome Wagon lady? I have a bad taste in my mouth and it isn't from the water.

Adding: logdog - I'm glad your experience wasn't offensive to you and you actually ended up saving you some money. I didn't enjoy my experience it made me feel apprehensive about the things coming from the Villages and I don't want to start my experience based on a bitterness. All I would like at this point is the truth, maybe it can't be stopped and maybe the Villages is allowing for it to transpire but I still would like the truth either way.
It is a common practice for welcome wagon to get their leads on new residents from realtors. Other vendors routinely get their leads from public filings which they can access online.

P.S. Don't worry about your water. Most people do not have a problem with our water at all. Many of us either buy bottled water or drink filtered water from the fridge.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Gold member

The best way to handle these people is to ignore them. Don't waste your time that can be spent on your personal matters. Tracking down these peopke will nit add to your quality of life.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the seniors vs crime information - I saw that on another post, that's great and I will follow up with that.

Indydealmaker - I agree 100% that lots of Marketing companies get their listings from realtors but seems very close to home to be getting leads like this, no? I fail to see how the villages would approve of this practice
Old 04-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

Very wise words from Village Jack above.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:30 PM

I agree with you but sometimes if we sit silent than we allow for a precedent to be set without meaning to. I know most of us like to protect our community, albeit a new one or one we have lived in for many years. I know that in the current state of things it seems as though our voices don't get heard, but I refuse to sit silent where I could be proactive. I know that may seemingly make me come across as petty, but it isn't that. This type of link and this ability to vocalize makes the gaps close a little bit and lets us set a standard for what we will and will not tolerate. Much love to you all.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Veteran member

Very interesting, NewGal. Keep us posted!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.