emt/fire trucks

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2014, 11:23 PM

My recollection from prior threads on this subject is that paramedics are employed by The Villages Public Safety Department, are typically first responders, and are housed at the fire stations. EMTs are employed by the contracted emergency transport companies and are not housed at the fire stations.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Sage

I've always wondered the same thing. Thanks to the many responses I understand why and am grateful for all the help we can get.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
My recollection from prior threads on this subject is that paramedics are employed by The Villages Public Safety Department, are typically first responders, and are housed at the fire stations. EMTs are employed by the contracted emergency transport companies and are not housed at the fire stations.

Staffing on The Villages fire apparatus is both EMT's and Paramedics. Rural Metro ambulance service supposedly has one EMT and one Paramedic on each ambulance.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Default EMT/Fire Truck

I understand that the fire stations may be located closer and can get there before the EMT, but I still don't understand why they need to run an expensive fire truck and four or five men, that takes the fire truck away from the station when they might be needed for a fire call, which is equally important. Why not have one fireman with EMT ability respond in a small truck or SUV. I am the first that would want the best care in an emergency situation, but it looks like it could be delivered cheaper and just as well by considering cheaper options. I realize it is standard procedure, but following the lead of everyone else may not be the best option. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Sage

Like many of my fellow Villagers I have lived in many communities both large and small and in different States . My observation is that it has always been standard protocol for a special fire crew with a special emergency vehicle to be called to any emergency along with an ambulance service .

During my career I recall several emergencies where a co-worker collapsed . In each case the fire crew beat the ambulance to the scene and provided the initial first aid .
It seems to me a bit strange that writers on this site would feel that the well trained and equipped fire staff should not be part of the response team .

Some feel that it is a " waste of funds " others feel that it may take the fire crew away from a possible fire . Yet we all seem to understand that there are far more non-fire emergencies here in our community than the type of serious emergencies which happen often several times each day such as medical and accidents of all types .

So if I follow the recent threads it would seem that some Villagers feel that we should do as follows "
1] Eliminate Community Watch
2] Eliminate the Fire Professionals as First Responders to accidents and medical emergencies .
3] Some have even questioned the cost and necessity of the beautiful and seasonal flower plantings we all enjoy .

Very often the argument they put forward comes under the general heading of " Wasted Expense ".
Again I suggest that we should consider the Math . These expenses are spread over 45,000 homes . So if we eliminated all of the above what would one save annually ?

Let`s pick a number say $3 Million annually which I believe would be on the high side . Using the $3 Million estimated savings to eliminate each of the above services I reference would amount to $66.00 per homeowner annually or a grand total of $5.50 per month .
Now when you or a loved one has an unfortunate medical emergency and is laying in pain or has slipped into unconsciousness will that savings have been worth it ? Do you feel that you would wish that the well trained and equipped fire rescue team were at your door ?

Would you prefer not to have an Official looking Community Watch vehicle driving down your street several times each day and while you sleep ?

Would you prefer to save about $5 to $10 per year over being able to enjoy the beautiful and well attended flower plantings which add such joy and character to our special community ?

Whats next that some would propose to eliminate ?
The regular mowing and care of the grass and shrubs and trees which line our many road-ways ?

I have been reading such complaints and suggestions to eliminate something or other in order to avoid " wasting money " since I moved here 3 years ago . Yet I do not recall a single person who demonstrated the true math as to what the resulting savings might be at the homeowner level .

Many people constantly " carp " about the Developer . However from where I sit I say " thank God " that he / they still strive to keep high standards which make our community a beautiful and relatively safe place to live .

Further I am also certain that nearly 100% of the people who have chosen to live here did so because of the unique offerings and beautiful surroundings . I would go as far as to say that the many who complain proudly show off this community to their family and guests .

Personally I do not look forward to the time when the Developer turns everything over to be managed by elected representatives of the community . I could easily predict that the standards will be forced downward for the sake of " savings " of a few dollars per month per homeowner ---- what $10 to $20 per month ? But at what cost to the attraction , general quality of life and yes even resale value of our homes ?
Many have commented on this forum in the past as to why they were attracted to purchase a home in the Villages . Many compared the surroundings of other near-by retirement communities to the Villages and indicated that none-other compared .
I would suggest that we attempt to take a realistic view of how much would be saved in what amounts to HOA fees vs what we would be giving up .
Thanks for your time . Please let the angry , misdirected and irrational snipping commence . Best Wishes to All and a Huge Thank-you to the Developer . Buffalo Jim ,

Last edited by Buffalo Jim; 04-16-2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: grammar and punctuation
Old 04-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Sage

Like many of my fellow Villagers I have lived in many communities both large and small and in different States . My observation is that it has always been standard protocol for a special fire crew with a special emergency vehicle to be called to any emergency along with
an ambulance service .
During my career I recall several emergencies where a co-worker collapsed . In each case the fire crew beat the ambulance to the scene and provided the initial first aid .
It seems to me a bit strange that writers on this site would feel that the well trained and equipped fire staff should not be part of the response team .
Some feel that it is a " waste of funds " others feel that it may take the fire crew away from a possible fire . Yet we all seem to understand that there are far more non-fire emergencies here in our community than the type of serious emergencies which happen often several times each day such as medical and accidents of all types .
So if I follow the recent threads it would seem that some Villagers feel that we should do as follows "
2] Eliminate the Fire Professionals as First Responders to accidents and medical emergencies .
3] Some have even questioned the cost and necessity of the beautiful and seasonal flower plantings we all enjoy .
Very often the argument they put forward comes under the general heading of " Wasted Expense ".
Again I suggest that we should consider the Math . These expenses are spread over 45,000 homes . So if we eliminated all of the above what would one save annually ?
Let`s pick a number say $3 Million annually which I believe would be on the high side . Using the $3 Million estimated savings to eliminate the above services would among to $66.00 per homeowner annually of a grand total of $5.50 per month .
Now when you or a loved one has an unfortunate medical emergency and is laying in pain or has slipped into unconsciousness will that savings have been worth it ? Do you feel that you would wish that the well trained and equipped fire rescue team were at your door ?
Would you prefer not to have an Official looking Community Watch vehicle driving down your street several times each day and while you sleep ?
Would you prefer to save about $5 to $10 per year over being able to enjoy the beautiful and well attended flower plantings which add such joy and character to our special community ?
Whats next that some would propose to eliminate ? The regular mowing and care of the grass and shrubs and trees which line our many road-ways ?
I have been reading such complaints and suggestions to eliminate something or other in order to avoid " wasting money " since I moved here 3 years ago . Yet I do not recall a single person who demonstrated the true math as to what the resulting savings might be at the homeowner level .
Many people constantly " carp " about the Developer . However from where I sit I say " thank God " that he / they still strive to keep high standards which make our community a beautiful and relatively safe place to live .
Further I am also certain that nearly 100% of the people who have chosen to live here did so because of the unique offerings and beautiful surroundings . I would go as far as to say that the many who complain proudly show off this community to their family and guests .
Personally I do not look forward to the time when the Developer turns everything over to be managed by elected representatives of the community . I could easily predict that the standards will be forced downward for the sake of " savings " of a few dollars per month per homeowner ---- what $10 to $20 per month ? But at what cost to the attraction , general quality of life and yes even resale value of our homes .
Many have commented on this forum in the past as to why they were attracted to purchase a home in the Villages . Many compared the surroundings of other near-by retirement communities to the Villages and indicated that none-other compared .
I would suggest that we attempt to take a realistic view of how much would be saved in what amounts to HOA fees vs what we would be giving up .
Thanks for your time . Please let the angry , misdirected and irrational snipping commence . Best Wishes to All and a Huge Thank-you to the Developer . Buffalo Jim
Old 04-16-2014, 03:52 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by billalexander View Post
I understand that the fire stations may be located closer and can get there before the EMT, but I still don't understand why they need to run an expensive fire truck and four or five men, that takes the fire truck away from the station when they might be needed for a fire call, which is equally important. Why not have one fireman with EMT ability respond in a small truck or SUV. I am the first that would want the best care in an emergency situation, but it looks like it could be delivered cheaper and just as well by considering cheaper options. I realize it is standard procedure, but following the lead of everyone else may not be the best option. Just my thoughts.
Dear Bill,
Your question is one we used to hear a lot during my career. A few reasons are that one person alone is not much more of a help. Also, taking that one FF away from a truck now hurts the efficiency of that truck. If there IS a fire call during an EMS response, they are free to "break away" as a fully operational unit to respond to any other fire or MVA call, etc.

Trucks need to be run, streets learned, and a unit to work well needs to stay together. The small savings you would get running a smaller truck cripples the response time for that larger truck. And as posted earlier, to increase chances of an EMS survival oftentimes you need that many hands.

The older I get the more valuable good Fire/EMS means to me. My taxes are still WAY lower then they ever were in NY, and I think I am worth it.

Hope that helps!

Respectfully, Frank
Old 04-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
Like many of my fellow Villagers I have lived in many communities both large and small and in different States . My observation is that it has always been standard protocol for a special fire crew with a special emergency vehicle to be called to any emergency along with
an ambulance service .
Let`s pick a number say $3 Million annually which I believe would be on the high side . Using the $3 Million estimated savings to eliminate the above services would among to $66.00 per homeowner annually of a grand total of $5.50 per month .
Whats next that some would propose to eliminate ? The regular mowing and care of the grass and shrubs and trees which line our many road-ways ?
Personally I do not look forward to the time when the Developer turns everything over to be managed by elected representatives of the community . I could easily predict that the standards will be forced downward for the sake of " savings " of a few dollars per month per homeowner ---- what $10 to $20 per month ? But at what cost to the attraction , general quality of life and yes even resale value of our homes .
Thanks for your time . Please let the angry , misdirected and irrational snipping commence . Best Wishes to All and a Huge Thank-you to the Developer . Buffalo Jim
I am dreading "Build Out" when the inmates will be in charge.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
I am dreading "Build Out" when the inmates will be in charge.
Challenger : It will quickly become very ugly --- a giant unrelenting food fight --
the tyranny of a very vocal minority which will result in a constant downward spiral of the quality of the Villages Life-style .
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.