Entitled walkers on paths

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
...They should call them golf cart paths and ban walking on them or at least state that walkers and runners do so at their own risk.

Calling them multi modal paths encourages people to walk and run on them and endangers the lives and safety of the general public.
If you want 100% safety, then stay home. Although that's not 100% safe either. Nothing is.

I'm glad they're multi modal paths...and that they will remain so.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred R View Post
There have been lots of times when I am riding in my cart on an MMP and encounter a walker, they won't even consider stepping off the path, especially if 2 carts are passing each other. I've had to slam on the brakes because of their selfish behavior. There is no substitute for courtesy.
Perhaps the walkers in your example were wishing that you would slow down and wait until it was safe to pass them.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred R View Post
There have been lots of times when I am riding in my cart on an MMP and encounter a walker, they won't even consider stepping off the path, especially if 2 carts are passing each other. I've had to slam on the brakes because of their selfish behavior. There is no substitute for courtesy.
Would you consider slowing down when you see walkers coming? Saves on "slamming brakes" That might be considered "courtesy" also "unselfish"
Old 02-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

It is obvious that there is an over riding view that "the paths" are for golf carts. Which, like it or not, they are multi modal paths....each mode having as much right to be there as the next.

I am a MMP walker and have been for the past 13 years....every day....2-3 miles.

Those who think walkers should get off the path or yield to oncoming carts are looking at it drom the "cart path" mentality.

Anytime I have encountered an issue it is very obvious the driver either could not see far enough to know someone was there or they were on their phone/texting.
99% of the time all users do what is right in the name of safety.......same as on the road.

It is unfortunate the discussions always are about the one percent that are at issue.

Another big help would be for some
cart drivers to know and understand there is no rule that states pedal to the floor at all times while operating!

MULTI MODAL PATHS.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Sage

If their licenses are taken away--they can not drive a golf cart--if they are legally blind they can't legally drive a golf cart
Old 02-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
It is obvious that there is an over riding view that "the paths" are for golf carts. Which, like it or not, they are multi modal paths....each mode having as much right to be there as the next.

I am a MMP walker and have been for the past 13 years....every day....2-3 miles.

Those who think walkers should get off the path or yield to oncoming carts are looking at it drom the "cart path" mentality.

Anytime I have encountered an issue it is very obvious the driver either could not see far enough to know someone was there or they were on their phone/texting.
99% of the time all users do what is right in the name of safety.......same as on the road.

It is unfortunate the discussions always are about the one percent that are at issue.

Another big help would be for some
cart drivers to know and understand there is no rule that states pedal to the floor at all times while operating!

MULTI MODAL PATHS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
As to the assertion of the walkers in the street that they had the right of way. No they don't and they were in violation of Florida law if there was a sidewalk available as you stated

316.130 Pedestrians; traffic regulations.—
(3) Where sidewalks are provided, no pedestrian shall, unless required by other circumstances, walk along and upon the portion of a roadway paved for vehicular traffic.

Nonetheless, that provision does not provide legal cover should you hit these misbehaving pedestrians

(15) Notwithstanding other provisions of this chapter, every driver of a vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian
Agreed for the most part (especially that people don't need to keep the pedal to the metal 100% of the time). I have no issues with walkers using the MMP. My concern is that as others have stated, there are walkers who insist on being right, but at the potential cost of their health. I was driving from Caroline toward Morse Blvd., taking the curve to go down to the tunnel and quite literally, found a walker right in front of me on the blind curve. Fortunately I was driving slowly and anticipating that someone could be there, so no accident. The walker was oblivious (he was either texting or looking at his MP3 player since he was also wearing earphones) and did not even flinch when I suddenly appeared in front of him (probably couldn't hear the golf cart motor). While the walker was walking toward traffic, he should have been paying attention to the path, at least until he got around the blind curve, or if he could do so safely, possibly even cross over and walk on the grass until he passed the curve.

While I have not seen 4 abreast walkers, I would suggest that this is rude when carts, bicyclists or other walkers are in the area all who have equal rights to use the path without obstruction by the walkers in this scenario.

I do have issue with walkers using the cart lanes on the road instead of the sidewalk. I am not referring to those who temporarily step off the sidewalk to avoid an active lawn sprinkler. I would like to see some warnings/citations being issued by the sheriff's department to walkers who stay in the roadway golf cart lane per the citation quoted above.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I think you missed my point. There are some who implicitly (and incorrectly, I may add) assume that golf carts have more rights on the MMPs than walkers. This erroneous assumption is most likely part of the problem; they don't recognize their responsibilities. This was an opportunity to set forth the facts. I generally prefer not to pontificate over what I think should be but try to focus on what is.
Absolutley agree with this. There seems to be a belief on the part of some that golf carts have priority and all others need to give way to them. I believe that there is a small minority of drivers that feel this way, and the majority of drivers drive responsibly and courteously. As for the others, if they have not realized by now that operating a motor vehicle on a path that is shared with pedestians involves certain responsibilities, we will not be able to change their thinking. Certain entries on this thread indicate as much.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
--if they are legally blind they can't legally drive a golf cart
There was a thread not long ago on which the OP is apparently too vision impaired to get a driver's license. Her concern is not that she might hit someone but rather that her insurance might find out that she is impaired and refuse to cover her.

I wrote the newly elected Florida State Representative, who used to be the head of the VHA, about proposing legislation prohibiting legally blind individuals from operating a golf cart in the street and he felt no such legislation was needed. Instead he suggested "how attentive we all must be when driving (even walking) around The Villages "
Old 02-05-2017, 02:57 PM
Platinum member

Can someone explain why people walk in the street when a sidewalk is available?
Old 02-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Veteran member

Always walk on the LEFT facing traffic SINGLE file - ALWAYS.......
Old 02-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Default Oh my

It comes down to common sense and common human kindness! So many times I see golf golf drivers flying around those curves, that alone tells me common sense NOT being used. So at this stage in our lives, let's just show human kindness and both parties giving a little for the safety of all!
Old 02-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

It would help safety if walkers would wear bright clothing and even more if they wore "reflective" type clothing.

A number of times I have observed people walking with the flow of traffic and also wearing dark clothing and thereby putting themselves in harms way on the multi modal paths. A few days ago I rounded a curve in my cart to see a lady walking two dogs with traffic and putting her dogs and herself in unnecessary harms way.

Finally, I see too many speeding golf carts with clubs on the back obviously in a hurry to make a tee time that are a safety issue to themselves, other golf carts, bicycles and walkers. Your retired so do yourself and others a favor by leaving home 10-15 minutes earlier. This could improve your golf game too. Just a thought.

Last edited by justjim; 02-05-2017 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 02-05-2017, 06:31 PM
Platinum member
Question Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
If their licenses are taken away--they can not drive a golf cart--if they are legally blind they can't legally drive a golf cart
I would be most interested in having you cite a Florida Statute to that effect.

I believe you are incorrect.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
Can someone explain why people walk in the street when a sidewalk is available?
Can someone explain why I saw a cart on a sidewalk on Parr Drive when there is a street available? While walking around town square daily I always wondered why I would see a very nice lady walking in the cart path instead of on the side walk. I know you are supposed to be on the sidewalk, but I never said anything, then 4 weeks age while walking not 5 minutes away from were I parked I tripped on some uneven sidewalk and was unable to correct my balance I went down on one knee and ended up with taking off up to 4-5 layers of skin, with the sidewalks being so rough.

So the easy answer is the roads are NOT uneven and I have 1 playground knee and the ground is harder as we get older! But I'm fine and I got up, went to Curves got a VERY large band aide,worked out and went home.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

I walk the mmp's a lot; I do wear bright clothing and I face the traffic staying to the right as much as I can. Here's is what I see as problems with SOME, NOT ALL, walkers - some of you wear dark clothing (what are you trying to be, a ninja warrior?) and cannot be seen before dawn or after dusk, when there's two or more of you, why do you refuse to go single file when a cart is approaching (I've encountered 2 & 3 abreast in the lanes with landscape medians who refuse to move over until they realize I can't get my cart any further over to the left)?, watch where you're walking (some of you look like you're watching your feet while walking and don't realize something is heading toward you that can injure/kill you) and lastly, to bicyclists - STAY OFF THE SIDEWALKS, the diamond lanes, mmp's and vehicle lanes offer plenty of places for you to ride.

Tags
cart, walker, problem, hit, walkers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.