rental questions

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Unhappy rental questions

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this...In the last two days I have been receiving phone calls and e-mails questioning what type of living room TV we have in our rental. They are also requesting the address, one is currently in the villages and the other person is taking a tour in March. Maybe I am being paranoid but whats to stop someone from checking the villages for rent website and seeing when the home is available and breaking in? would you give out the address? It could be innocent but then again...
Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Veteran member

That sounds very odd to me, especially if you have recently gotten more than one of these calls/emails. No, I don't think I would give them the address under these circumstances. It may be an honest inquiry, but to specifically ask about the type of TV raises a bit of a red flag to me.

Last edited by Skybo; 02-27-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Location: Brooklyn, NY Queens, NY Village of Summerhill, Village of Santiago

Just to clarify...you are the owner of a home that you rent out and have the home advertised on the villages for rent website.
If this is correct, I don't see an issue with people calling to ask about the TV's.
I was the owner of a rental home for 6 years and that is a common question.
Lots of people like to watch their sports on BIG TV's.
I don't know why they would ask the address though. Usually they only want to know which Village.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 AM

I am the owner of the home and have rented it out for 3 years now and I have never received a request about the size of the TV or whether it's older or a flat screen. It just raised some flags for me after it happened twice in 2 days. And also wanting the address for a drive by look.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Platinum member

We have asked about the type of TV the home has and the address if we are in The Villages and have an opportunity to drive by. All have been willing to give that information and it has helped us in determining whether to rent a home.

That which does not destroy you, makes you stronger- Nietzsche
Old 02-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Have had same questions asked you might want to list tv sizes and things so they don't have to call as much...and if they are in and would like to look I can unddrstand that too
Old 02-28-2013, 01:43 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Some rental listings have little info

If you don't want to give the address out then don't no reason to loose sleep at night. But the Television question is valid I think.

I don't know if yours falls into this catagory but some of the listings on 4 rent don't have info on whats in the unit.
We are concerned that an older smaller TV won't be able to get the channels that we like now everything is digital or Hd. I don't want to email every listing, I mean there are hundreds, and ask. So if it doesn't say it goes on the if we can't get something else list we will check list.

If owners would include first of all price. Second if they discount for multiple months. Also if it does or does not include tax.

Includes or does not a golf cart. Do you require us to get insurance for it?
SIZE OF BED IN MASTER

Model of unit ie an Elm or Lily or Austin or Amarillo etc.

It would make it so much easier for us that are looking. We don't need a long list of things to do in the villages I mean if we are looking at the villages 4 rent then we know or you can reference the villages website.

Sorry I have been looking at listings for a week and I am getting frustrated as the owners don't update the availability or info and I feel like I am on a treadmill.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Veteran member
Default rental listing info

When we rented a fabulous home last June, we had contacted the owner the previous October, when we were in the villages.
He said come along and meet me and take a look around
We did, and gave hime the deposit in cash there and then. We had a wonderful time, only 2 of us coming this time so have rented a smaller, but equally lovely home
It is nice to meet the owner if you have the chance. When we owned in Orlando, we only ever met one family.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I don't think asking for the address and doing a drive-by is all that uncommon. I've frequently shown houses to potential renters or their friends who live down here. It just gives renters one less worry -- they know the house is as advertised. (I have heard from more than one renter that the ad pictures were several years old and the house they rented had been awful, so they prefer to see the home first.)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
That sounds very odd to me, especially if you have recently gotten more than one of these calls/emails. No, I don't think I would give them the address under these circumstances. It may be an honest inquiry, but to specifically ask about the type of TV raises a bit of a red flag to me.
I have to agree on this one.

There will be another renter. Did you do a reverse check of the phone number? I don't know what you'd get from that.

I just like to know WHO I am talking to before I give out information like that.

If it doesn't FEEL right...don't do it.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Platinum member

I certainly wish we had seen what condition the house we rented sight-unseen in 2011. The house was in poor condition and not well kept. I think it's smart for the renter to see where they are going to live. The bed in the master bedroom was one of those huge high-off-the ground models....the kind you need a step stool to get into....if I had known that, I wouldn't have rented it.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 03-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Sage

Trudy M makes valid points. I would want to know all the things she listed that some owners forget to include, such as the type of internet, the size of the beds, taxes, etc. If all that were provided in the listing, it would save everyone a lot of work.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Trudy M makes valid points. I would want to know all the things she listed that some owners forget to include, such as the type of internet, the size of the beds, taxes, etc. If all that were provided in the listing, it would save everyone a lot of work.
I agree with Carla B and Trudy M. As a wannabee who has rented in TV a few times in the past couple of years to get an idea of what living in different parts of TV is like, the more information an owner can put in the listing, the better. Another piece of information for owners who are willing on rent on a weekly basis, is to post the weekly rental rates along with the monthly rental rates in the listing; some owners who indicate they are willing to rent on a weekly basis only post monthly rental rates.

I have been fortunate that all of the homes I have rented in TV have been beautifully furnished, and I have been very happy with all of my rental experiences in TV.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

the most interesting question i have been asked is by a older gentleman for my social security number and the name of my bank..... hummmmmmmm that didn't happen... any other questions after that seems normal to me

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.