What's up with this forum??

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum member
Default What's up with this forum??

TOTV used to be a friendly forum where a lot of good information was found and folks were friendly with one another. It's changed a lot and a lot of folks are rude and downright mean with their comments. It's not very enjoyable anymore. Is this a seasonal problem?? .......or, what's up??
Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
TOTV used to be a friendly forum where a lot of good information was found and folks were friendly with one another. It's changed a lot and a lot of folks are rude and downright mean with their comments. It's not very enjoyable anymore. Is this a seasonal problem?? .......or, what's up??
Go ahead blame the snowbirds again
BTW I just do not see what you are seeing.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts

Go to a thread such as "breakers tripping" and you will find a lot of good information. I could names many others too. Sometimes "things" get a little heated regarding certain topics but the moderator does a pretty good job keeping "things" civil. Nothing wrong with different opinions----information and facts along with informed opinion is what this forum is about.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 PM

I'm a Villagers wannabe and I have received much valuable information and kindness here in the last couple of months. I love TOTV and its members!!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Sage

I have noticed these things tend to run in cycles. Eventually, it all straights itself out and sometimes the moderator has to step in. If one takes a certain amount off care to clearly present what they are trying to impart, it usually is well received.

There are so many wonderful, smart people on this forum that usually agree to disagree respectfully. I present my point of view in a non confrontational manner and I don't let anyone rent space in my head.

Life is too short to be too little.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
gerryann: I think it is because they removed the political forum....Just kidding. Actually I find this forum to be very friendly.

However, I can handle direct well. Direct but not rude or edgy fosters better communications. To some direct equates to mean.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I have noticed these things tend to run in cycles. Eventually, it all straights itself out and sometimes the moderator has to step in. If one takes a certain amount off care to clearly present what they are trying to impart, it usually is well received.

There are so many wonderful, smart people on this forum that usually agree to disagree respectfully. I present my point of view in a non confrontational manner and I don't let anyone rent space in my head.

Life is too short to be too little.
I love your analogy about renting space in my head. It keeps me from getting too upset about the little stuff.. It is easy to think about everything that is wrong. There is so much nice here, why hunt for the negatives?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Go ahead blame the snowbirds again
BTW I just do not see what you are seeing.
i would never blame "snowbirds"....I said "seasonal". By that I meant the weather...folks staying indoors more and vent their moods here.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Please don't tar a great forum because of a very very small number of incidents that don't measure OK on someone's "agree" meter!

btk
Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Platinum member

Idk

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

This is the most friendly forum of the several that I belong to. I don't know what you're talking about.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Sage

There's never been a forum that didn't have a small number of constant complainers, seeing the negative in everything. The percentage is smaller in ToTV than any other forum I've seen.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Just remember before you let a poster's "rude" comments get to you, go read all of their past posts. Usually you will see a pattern. They are just "rude" about most everything.

Some like to say they are "direct", not "rude", but in the world of the written word, perception is everything and these "direct" posters need more than a little introspection.

A simple rule of thumb for posters on here is to Say Nothing Anonymously That You Would Not Say Face To Face.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
I must disagree. I have been on this forum for 7 years and 2012 was the most friendly informative year of them all.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:05 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Over time, you may notice a personality or two that you find you get annoyed by. Someone who's thoughts, opinions or delivery don't mesh with yours in any way, shape or form. That might happen in ANY conversational gathering you may partake of.
Sooner or later you will recognize their avatar name (ahead of time) so, if they really get under your skin, you can choose to skip over their posts, or block them from your screen, for your own comfort level.
The administration also provides a flagging option ( red triangle) where by a particular post will be reviewed and dealt with if need be.

Sometimes certain topics will trigger frustration out there.
Sometimes posters aren't looking for civil discourse, they just want to tell others how it should be. Period.
That is diversity. That is the contrast from which new thought springs forth.
Not every child plays nice on the playground, even if they know how to do so.
Be of good cheer. Don't let the turkeys (and some may feel I'm one!) get you down ... and all that kind of stuff. Don't hesitate to post, for there IS much to be enjoyed on this forum.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.