Exact age restriction rules to buy and live in the villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2016, 02:19 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Will someone link to the federal guidelines for an age restricted community?
snipped
Here ya go:

Here's the 'long form' re:
24 CFR Part 100
Implementation of the Housing for Older
Persons Act of 1995
Final Rule
http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/library/hopa_final.pdf

And here's the 'short form":
Housing for Older Persons Requirements
Federal Register 24 CFR Part 100; section 760.24-760.37 (4a), Florida Statutes

For a community to be considered "housing for older persons" as a 55+ community, the housing must be intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older and meet the following requirements:

At least 80% of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older.
The facility or community publishes and adheres to policies and procedures that demonstrate its intent to in fact be a provider of housing for older persons.
The facility or community complies with rules established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for verification of occupancy.
Housing for Older Persons Directory / Resources / Home - Florida Commission on Human Relations

Old 09-30-2016, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

IMO the needs to be clause. If you allow your adult child (over the age 19) live in your household and that adult child commits felonies proven in court of law on seniors over the age of 55 they immediately lose there right to live in 55 and older community.

Ok now the PC police and moochers can flame on.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran member

The most logical place to inquire for this question is The Villages Home offices.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:40 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO the needs to be clause. If you allow your adult child (over the age 19) live in your household and that adult child commits felonies proven in court of law on seniors over the age of 55 they immediately lose there right to live in 55 and older community.

Ok now the PC police and moochers can flame on.
Something needs to be done, not only in The Villages but in other 55 and over communities. I know of one such community which used to be tightly run but has recently come under new management - the residents (gulp)!. With the exception of caregivers one occupant of a couple is required to be 55 or older. What has happened is that more and more occupants are using a loophole, letting their loser adult children and grandchildren move in with them as "caregivers". These younger folks are druggies, alcoholics, felons, you name it and they are quite problematical in many ways.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-30-2016, 02:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I wonder if the OP is going to come back and respond to the answers to his post.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:45 PM
Sage
Default Exact age restriction rules to buy and live in the villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
...loser adult children and grandchildren move in with them as "caregivers". These younger folks are druggies, alcoholics, felons, you name it and they are quite problematical in many ways.
All I can say is...

Wow.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Where does one find the current percentage?
I bought when I was 51. They never said a thing (2 years ago). I asked about it - they told me they were at about 8% - nowhere near the limit.

Ed
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 10-03-2016, 07:06 AM

My wife and I bought when I was 46 and she was 50 and the age issue didn't really even come up. As far as old people living in TV....it's funny but it seems like people are getting younger every time we visit!
Old 10-03-2016, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Some old people are really not any fun. But I think they were never any fun.

I avoid them at all costs. I also avoid younger people who aren't any fun too.

Carry on.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:47 AM

We read about those "underage" folks picked up for DUI with addresses living in The Villages almost everyday in our Daily Sun.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Read the rule again folks. It is possible and legal, though extremely unlikely, for over 80% of the residents here to be under 55.

20% of the occupied units must be occupied by at least one person over the age of 55. That's what the law says.

Here's an example. You have 100, three bedroom units with six people living in each unit. In twenty of the units all six people are under the age of 55. In each of the other 80 units you have one person over the age of 55 and five people under the age of 55.

That gives you 600 residents 80 who are over 55 and 520 who are under 55. That's 87% of the residents under the age of 55. That would be perfectly legal under the law.

If you had all four bedroom units, the percentage of under 55ers could be even higher.

As I said, this is highly unlikely, but it demonstrates what the law says.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:05 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Read the rule again folks. It is possible and legal, though extremely unlikely, for over 80% of the residents here to be under 55.

20% of the occupied units must be occupied by at least one person over the age of 55. That's what the law says.

Here's an example. You have 100, three bedroom units with six people living in each unit. In twenty of the units all six people are under the age of 55. In each of the other 80 units you have one person over the age of 55 and five people under the age of 55.

That gives you 600 residents 80 who are over 55 and 520 who are under 55. That's 87% of the residents under the age of 55. That would be perfectly legal under the law.

If you had all four bedroom units, the percentage of under 55ers could be even higher.

As I said, this is highly unlikely, but it demonstrates what the law says.
As long as no house near me is loaded with illegal immigrants, used to manufacture meth or being used as a halfway house I am happy.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Sage

I may be wrong and sometimes I am but I never heard of anyone being refused to buy a home in TV, that was under 55.

Nuff said...........

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Doc - I think you have the percentages backwards:

Housing for Older Persons Requirements
Federal Register 24 CFR Part 100; section 760.24-760.37 (4a), Florida Statutes

For a community to be considered "housing for older persons" as a 55+ community, the housing must be intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older and meet the following requirements:

At least 80% of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older.
The facility or community publishes and adheres to policies and procedures that demonstrate its intent to in fact be a provider of housing for older persons.
The facility or community complies with rules established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for verification of occupancy.
Housing for Older Persons Directory / Resources / Home - Florida Commission on Human Relations

Old 10-06-2016, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Something needs to be done, not only in The Villages but in other 55 and over communities. I know of one such community which used to be tightly run but has recently come under new management - the residents (gulp)!. With the exception of caregivers one occupant of a couple is required to be 55 or older. What has happened is that more and more occupants are using a loophole, letting their loser adult children and grandchildren move in with them as "caregivers". These younger folks are druggies, alcoholics, felons, you name it and they are quite problematical in many ways.
Boy, talk about painting with a broad stroke. How about backing up your statement with some statistics?

Tags
villages, mls, agent, realtor, exception

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.