Exact age restriction rules to buy and live in the villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2016, 12:33 AM
Default Exact age restriction rules to buy and live in the villages

I will be retired in less then a year and looking to buy/live in the villages. I (alone) am much less then 55 however. If the villages realtor allowed the exception, can an MLS agent as well if I found a resale home through them? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim05811 View Post
I will be retired in less then a year and looking to buy/live in the villages. I (alone) am much less then 55 however. If the villages realtor allowed the exception, can an MLS agent as well if I found a resale home through them? Thanks in advance.
Your age will not be a factor. Laws allow for up to 20% below the age of 55 to live in a retirement community
Old 09-28-2016, 04:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim05811 View Post
And neither will it make a difference if you buy from a Villages agent or a MLS realtor.

BUT you can't buy or live here if you are under 19.

I have noticed that there are a lot of old people who live here. Hope you enjoy old people.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:24 AM

In 2004 at age 45 I tried to buy a new home but was told they reached the 20% level. I was told you could legally buy a resale. So they sent me to First Village Realty which at the time was a Villages mls company. We bought a new home that was being flipped by a couple who at the time bought 3 homes. One to live in and 2 to flip. They closed in August 04 and paid 164k we closed in October 04 for 208k.....ouch! All worked out we sold for a profit and eventually bought a new home in TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2016, 08:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have noticed that there are a lot of old people who live here. Hope you enjoy old people.
No old people here, GracieGirl, just young people with a lot of experience :-)
Old 09-28-2016, 09:02 AM
Default Consider

You could consider Oxford Oaks which is just outside TV at 466 and 301 near the high school. They will soon be getting a community pool. The homes are the same models as TV homes however no bond.

Oxford Oaks | A Gated Family Community Near The Villages Florida
Old 09-28-2016, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuctba1958 View Post
In 2004 at age 45 I tried to buy a new home but was told they reached the 20% level. I was told you could legally buy a resale. So they sent me to First Village Realty which at the time was a Villages mls company. We bought a new home that was being flipped by a couple who at the time bought 3 homes. One to live in and 2 to flip. They closed in August 04 and paid 164k we closed in October 04 for 208k.....ouch! All worked out we sold for a profit and eventually bought a new home in TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will someone link to the federal guidelines for an age restricted community? We have lived here, owned here nine years and I read all news and communications faithfully and have a number of friends who are up to date and this is the absolute first time I have ever heard that anyone was refused because of age. Some couldn't get financing, but age was never an impediment to buying here. And they do keep track, they have to keep track about owners to keep their status as an age restricted community.

There seems to be a lot of posts in the last couple of days that are critical of Villages agents and some asking unusual questions and some bringing up controversial topics about MLS and Village Agents.

But it is nice to hear from a lot of new people.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Gold member

Due to federal housing laws there can be no discrimination due to age. The ONLY exception is a community in which there are at least 80% homeowners over the age of 55. If the Villages were to exceed the 20% under 55 limit we would no longer be able to keep this as a senior community and would have to allow anyone to purchase homes. I have a hard time understanding how someone could be told that they could buy a resale even if it exceeded the 20%...I get the feeling that there was some miscommunication. One of the posters stated that the 'agent' would allow the exception. No matter who the agent is, MLS or otherwise, the agent cannot break federal housing laws.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:27 AM
Sage

Where does one find the current percentage?
Old 09-28-2016, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuctba1958 View Post
In 2004 at age 45 I tried to buy a new home but was told they reached the 20% level. I was told you could legally buy a resale. <snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Will someone link to the federal guidelines for an age restricted community? We have lived here, owned here nine years and I read all news and communications faithfully and have a number of friends who are up to date and this is the absolute first time I have ever heard that anyone was refused because of age. <snip>
Please observe that the situation described by tuctba1958 occurred 12 years ago. It certainly does not exist today.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Where does one find the current percentage?
You can't find it. It's not communicated to the public in any way that I have observed.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Sage

No matter how many times this comes up, people still mis-quote the law. Possibly 80% of the people cannot remember what happened a week ago (me included ).

Nothing to do with ownership, nothing to do with population, they do not HAVE to allow 20%. Anyway, see question #3 here:

https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/doc...d=DOC_7769.pdf
Old 09-28-2016, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

There is no age requirement for resales.

Nobody keeps track of the ongoing day to day age mix present in TV. How would they ever know?

I know when we bought and had our home built there was some chatter that new sales had to adhere to a certain mix...maybe the 80/20 split.

Resales? Requirements....approved loan or big enough check!!!
Old 09-28-2016, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Your age will not be a factor. Laws allow for up to 20% below the age of 55 to live in a retirement community
So many people misunderstand this law in this way. What the law says is that in order to qualify as an over 55 retirement community, at least 80% of the HOMES must be occupied by at least one person over the age of 55. This is a federal regulation that applies to all homes in any over 55 community. It applies to new homes as well as resales. In fact it has nothing to do with sales. It is based on occupancy. Anyone can own a home here, even people that are not allowed to live here.

The Villages rule is that no one under the age of 19 may live in The Villages full time. No one under the age of 30 may use the adult pools.

It is possible, albeit extremely unlikely, that 80% or more of the residents in TV be under age 55.

The Villages keeps records by the amenity bills and resident passes that they issue. They do not make those records public.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 09-28-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I'll bite. Do you plan on living here full time? Do you have a lifestyle that would fit well into a retirement community?

I never felt the need to post my age, race, religion, or political party.

Tags
villages, mls, agent, realtor, exception

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.