Experiencing Legionnaires Disease due to Water Heater?

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2017, 07:02 PM
Veteran member

Here's another area I dealt with this weekend: If you have a side-by-side refrigerator with an ice dispenser in the door, you might be unpleasantly surprised to see what is under that control panel. My GE refrigerator is several years old, and the ice dispenser was acting up. Specifically, the door that opens and closes the chute was not opening and closing properly. Checking the internet and YouTube videos, I learned that there is a replaceable solenoid that can rust and jam up. Got a new solenoid from Amazon, and took the thing apart. The solenoid was badly frozen with rust from the moist environment, but there was also a lot of black (mold?) growing in the compartment as well. You can't see it unless you take the thing apart. Not a big job (if you watch the video), but certainly an area of concern. As you ice cubes come down the chute, they pass through this contaminated area. You will never see it unless you dis-assemble the ice dispenser in your door.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Well, all this got me thinking. I got the following off the OSHA web site. Based on this, I am going to do a good flush and then increase temperture 5 degrees. I don't have a real concern about contamination, but flushing the heater should be done periodically to keep the heater operting efficiently and 5 degrees will not cost that much. Concern goes to zero. Also, I'm not crazy about adding chemicals to my water system, so no 'deep cleaning' for me.

Q. Can Legionnaires' disease be prevented?

A. Yes. Avoiding water conditions that allow the organism to grow to high levels is the best means of prevention. Specific preventive steps include:
Regularly maintain and clean cooling towers and evaporative condensers to prevent growth of LDB. This should include twice-yearly cleaning and periodic use of chlorine or other effective biocide.
Maintain domestic water heaters at 60°C (140°F). The temperature of the water should be 50°C (122°F) or higher at the faucet.
Avoid conditions that allow water to stagnate. Large water-storage tanks exposed to sunlight can produce warm conditions favorable to high levels of LDB. Frequent flushing of unused water lines will help alleviate stagnation.
Q. Do you recommend that I operate my home water heater at 60°C (140°F)?

A. Probably not if you have small children or infirm elderly persons who could be at serious risk of being scalded by the hot water. However, if you have people living with you who are at high risk of contracting the disease, then operating the water heater at a minimum temperature of 60°C (140°F) is probably a good idea. Consider installing a scald-prevention device.

Q. What can be done if a water system is already contaminated or is suspected of being contaminated?

A. Special cleaning procedures and water treatment can reduce LDB in water systems. In many cases, these procedures involve the use of chlorine-producing chemicals or high water temperatures. Seek professional assistance before attempting to clean a contaminated water system.

Q. Can my home water heater also be a source of LDB contamination?

A. Yes, but evidence indicates that smaller water systems such as those used in homes are not as likely to be infected with LDB as larger systems in workplaces and public buildings.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBren View Post
That’s what I had been going through! I went ahead and had my Water Heater deep cleaned through richardahhandyman dot com. You should contact him to get yours done.
Now there's the pitch I have been waiting for!
Old 02-28-2017, 03:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Has the CDC published any results of the point of contamination yet? Once you were hospitalized and then diagnosed how long did it take and were you the only one diagnosed?
Old 02-28-2017, 07:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Now there's the pitch I have been waiting for!
Agreed. Why the push to clean water heaters when heat will accomplish the same thing?

And you would only need the extra heat for one day to kill any bacteria present in the heater. Then you can go back to the lower setting. If concerns persist, a monthly 'heat treat' should do the job. Also, I would be concerned about harsh chemicals causing leaks in older heaters.

Water heaters have been around a long time. If there was a problem, we would have heard about it long ago. Just not buying this.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Actually, I have a better idea. I think I'll go get some pool test strips. If I have chlorine coming out of my faucets, then I have no bacteria in my system. If I find zero residual chlorine then I will run the faucets, bringing plenty of new chorine into the house, until I see some residual CL. Seems like that should do it.

For my neighbors that have a second bathroom that seldom gets used, it is a good idea to flush the toilet and run the faucets in the bath and sink once a week or so. That will help keep the lines clear.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:18 AM
Eternal Member

No where did the OP say he had been hospitalized for Legionnaires Disease. I also saw in the advertisements in TOTV an ad for deep cleaning your water heater. Now, the OP is "hawking" a guy to do the service? Hmmm?
Closed Thread

Tags
water, clean, deep, w/h, mine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.