Experiencing Legionnaires Disease due to Water Heater?

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2017, 04:38 PM
Default Experiencing Legionnaires Disease due to Water Heater?

Getting over LD. I use my hot water for cooking & even drinking tea straight from my faucet everyday. WHAT I HAVE DONE!!! (at least I am still alive.) I had my W/H tank deep cleaned- OMG!!! How rusty my W/H water was just like in a video I watched. Mine is 10yrs old. How about yours? Anyway, my water is clean, antibiotics are working, and I'm feeling better now. Has anyone else experienced this? You may consider getting a deep clean. Have a clean water day!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBren View Post
Getting over LD. I use my hot water for cooking & even drinking tea straight from my faucet everyday. WHAT I HAVE DONE!!! (at least I am still alive.) I had my W/H tank deep cleaned- OMG!!! How rusty my W/H water was just like in a video I watched. Mine is 10yrs old. How about yours? Anyway, my water is clean, antibiotics are working, and I'm feeling better now. Has anyone else experienced this? You may consider getting a deep clean. Have a clean water day!
I found this on line about it. Kind of scary.

Legionnaires' disease is a type of pneumonia caused by bacteria. You usually get it by breathing in mist from water that contains the bacteria. The mist may come from hot tubs, showers, or air-conditioning units for large buildings. The bacteria doesn't spread from person to person.Oct 14, 2016
Old 02-24-2017, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

OK LBren, your post implies you got LD from the Villages water supply, do you have any proof? 10 years old for a water heater, is end of life, it should be replaced, and I find it very improbable that LD bacteria could exist there, it is TOO HOT! Now your AC system could be a source. The water supply here is so heavily chlorinated that I doubt there would be any way this bacteria could exist in it.
If you have any proof to your implications, please provide, or clarify your original post.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:36 PM

villagetinker, I went online to research how I even acquired LD. I exercise and eat right. The only thing I found that could possibly relate to me, was the video I watched on YT called look what we found in this water heater, which was in The Villages. In the description, they mentioned LD. At this point, I do not know how I got it. BTW my temperature is set at 130 deg. I read to kill bacteria i should turn it up to 160 for 1 hour. So I think it might be in my water heater.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

I've never heard of Legionella in a hot water heater, but it may be possible. However, Legionnaire's disease is generally a point outbreak from contaminated water. If it was "in The Villages water supply", we would have hundreds, maybe thousands of cases given the age of the population.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I found this on line about it. Kind of scary.

Legionnaires' disease is a type of pneumonia caused by bacteria. You usually get it by breathing in mist from water that contains the bacteria. The mist may come from hot tubs, showers, or air-conditioning units for large buildings. The bacteria doesn't spread from person to person.Oct 14, 2016
Oh, so maybe I got LD from taking hot showers. I think I did the right thing then getting my WH deep cleaned.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:50 PM
Sage

VERY irresponsible topic title.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

"Legionella is an aquatic bacteria that thrives in warm water environments, and is the cause of Legionnaires Disease. It is commonly found in potable water supplies, hot tubs, cooling towers, fountains, swimming pools, etc. and multiplies in warm conditions especially between 68 – 122 °F. The Legionella bacteria can spread to humans when breathed in."

Hot Water Heater Safety & Temperature: Legionella Prevention
Old 02-24-2017, 07:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
VERY irresponsible topic title.

Agreed, the water contamination is specifically local, not systemwide.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:11 PM
Default Skepticle

Quote:
villagetinker, I went online to research how I even acquired LD. I exercise and eat right. The only thing I found that could possibly relate to me, was the video I watched on YT called look what we found in this water heater, which was in The Villages. In the description, they mentioned LD. At this point, I do not know how I got it. BTW my temperature is set at 130 deg. I read to kill bacteria i should turn it up to 160 for 1 hour. So I think it might be in my water heater.
LBren, I just watched the video(s) on YouTube that you mentioned. There are two of them and were both posted within the past 3 days.
I did not hear or read anything in there about Legionnaires.

I would also like to know where you got that info that led you to that conclusion.

To me this looks like an advertisement for a particular plumbing company to scare up some business.

Last edited by HiHoSteveO; 02-24-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Unable to edit spelling of skeptical
Old 02-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

I use my hot water for cooking & even drinking tea straight from my faucet everyday

Why would anyone drink from a tank, hot or cold when you have fresh mains water?
Use fresh, and boil for cooking and hot drinks.
As for LD??
Old 02-24-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I use my hot water for cooking & even drinking tea straight from my faucet everyday

Why would anyone drink from a tank, hot or cold when you have fresh mains water?
Use fresh, and boil for cooking and hot drinks.
As for LD??
Thx for all of the input. I think I can conclude I got LD not from drinking the hot water, but from showering and breathing the stream from which my WH was contaminated. BTW was using less energy using hot water to heat up in the mic, or stove. Wont do that again.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Is someone trying to sell us a service, or a product? We have only had 2 water heaters in 27 years up north, no issues.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:31 PM

Most likely from a poorly cared for hot tub.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:36 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
LBren:

don't let these naysayers discourage you. sorry you are not feeling well but it appears you are healing well.

I am so impressed with your quick recovery for this normally long lasting illness that I would like to have the doctor that diagnosed and treated you for this disease in the event I contract LD.

Personal Best Regards:
Closed Thread

Tags
water, clean, deep, w/h, mine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.