Experiencing Legionnaires Disease due to Water Heater?

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2017, 08:25 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
LBren:

don't let these naysayers discourage you. sorry you are not feeling well but it appears you are healing well.

I am so impressed with your quick recovery for this normally long lasting illness that I would like to have the doctor that diagnosed and treated you for this disease in the event I contract LD.

Personal Best Regards:
I must have missed the part of the post where the OP said he was diagnosed with Legionnaires Disease by a medical doctor and spent time in a hospital being treated.

Legionnaires Disease is not contracted by drinking hot water!
Old 02-25-2017, 08:43 AM

Water heaters, like everything else (including ourselves), require regular maintenance. There are many articles that can be found online that detail this, and will help extend the life of the tank. This includes regular flushing (simple) to anode or element replacement (relatively easy, but require standard tools). It might be worth a look.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 AM
Gold member

"Villages Water Experiencing Legionaires Disease"? LBren, with all due respect, assuming you are correct and you contracted this disease from your water heater, you did not get it from The Villages water system, you got it from your own water after it was infected by the water heater. The headline in your post is disingenuous and you should amend it.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:30 AM
Sage

Lots of hits on google about this. Here is one from OSHA:

Legionnaires' Disease eTool: Domestic Hot-Water Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
"Villages Water Experiencing Legionaires Disease"? LBren, with all due respect, assuming you are correct and you contracted this disease from your water heater, you did not get it from The Villages water system, you got it from your own water after it was infected by the water heater. The headline in your post is disingenuous and you should amend it.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:17 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Lots of hits on google about this. Here is one from OSHA:

Legionnaires' Disease eTool: Domestic Hot-Water Systems
biker:

thy are addressing large industrial water heaters used in hospitals, etc
Old 02-25-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post

I am glad that Administrator has changed the post title already. I did not know how to do that. Thank you for your advice.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:39 PM
Sage

The OSHA page I posted makes reference to domestic hot water heaters - those are the ones in your house. They do also reference industrial water heaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
biker:

thy are addressing large industrial water heaters used in hospitals, etc
Old 02-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBren View Post
I am glad that Administrator has changed the post title already. I did not know how to do that. Thank you for your advice.
That's very understanding, LBren. All the best to you.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBren View Post
And I hope you are feeling better.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:55 PM

After reading the OSHA link, it sounds like you had better get your hot water system flushed and treated, or you'll be sick again.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Is someone trying to sell us a service, or a product? We have only had 2 water heaters in 27 years up north, no issues.
That was my thought also.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:45 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I have never used the hot water from our hot water tank for cooking, making tea or coffee or for any other direct consumption for that manner.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I know you may think my advice is a little off here for various reasons. Please do not service your hot water heater. Replace it. I offer this advice as if you were a close friend or family member. Don't make me explain. Just go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy it and have them install it. No fuss no muss no disease no 2nd or 3rd service call. Its money well spent. To the OP I'm glad you survived Legionnaires. Many people in N.J. were not so fortunate.

Last edited by Nucky; 02-26-2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Spelling Again
Old 02-26-2017, 10:28 PM

My husband had Legionnaire's disease. He almost died. He lost 20 lbs in a week from sweating from continuous fever of over 104 for over 5 days. He was in constant delirium. At first they didn't know what he had. The only thing they could do was try different medicines and hoped one would work. Cipro on the 5th day was the magic. I thought he would never make it. They sent out a sample to CDC who, within a month stated it was Legionnaire's. He got it from being near an air conditioning unit that was being cleaned that was filled with mold. So if, there was mold in your water heater......that could be your answer.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulascorpio View Post
My husband had Legionnaire's disease. He almost died. He lost 20 lbs in a week from sweating from continuous fever of over 104 for over 5 days. He was in constant delirium. At first they didn't know what he had. The only thing they could do was try different medicines and hoped one would work. Cipro on the 5th day was the magic. I thought he would never make it. They sent out a sample to CDC who, within a month stated it was Legionnaire's. He got it from being near an air conditioning unit that was being cleaned that was filled with mold. So if, there was mold in your water heater......that could be your answer.

That’s what I had been going through! I went ahead and had my Water Heater deep cleaned through richardahhandyman dot com. You should contact him to get yours done.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, clean, deep, w/h, mine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.