Cottage Homes vs. CYV's

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Default Cottage Homes vs. CYV's

I am relatively new to these boards and hope I am doing this correctly.
I visited the TV in January and fell in love. I am, or rather will be, single by the time I hope to move down and so don't need a lot of pace. That said however I am a quilter and crafter and so am looking for three bedroom homes so I can have a dedicated sewing/craft studio and guest room. I really like the privacy of the Villa's but and also looking at Cottage homes since I am concerned that it might be harder to get to know neighbors if my yard is walled off from them.
When I stayed in TV in January I was staying with friends who had just moved into Pennicamp and they were always conversing with new neighbors while standing in backyards.
I know that Cottage homes seem to be a bit less expensive which is also something I need to factor in. I would love to hear if anyone has any experience or opinions to offer concerning CYV's verses Cottage Homes. It's scary when I think about having to make a decision as big as buying a home on my own after sharing decisions like that for 38 years......
Thanks for any opinion. Oh I am hoping to be able to visit TV again in June, July or August to choose a home.

S.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Gold member
Default front drives and street in CYV neighborhoods

In my CYV neighborhood, we hang out to talk to neighbors in driveways or the street. Start talking to one, and pretty soon another one of us is out there, then 5 or 8, then we set up a date for a driveway party. Backyards and lanais are very private, although many of us certainly entertain on them, just not usually the whole neighborhood, and only by invitation.

I do think it's true, though, that CYV neighborhoods have a higher percentage of snowbirds, but you will also find plenty of frogs.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:14 PM

We own a CYV and although we are part/part time.... (only there weeks at a time), we have found the neighborhood VERY friendly. One of the homeowners in our area will send out a monthly calendar of villa activities such as golf times, block party dates and ladies lunches. Our neighborhood is a very, very friendly place.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:20 PM

Hmmm....I didn't think about the fact that CYV's might have more snowbirds than frogs.....I will be living there year around and though I have nothing against snowbirds it would be nice to be in a neighborhood that had more year round residents. Just for consistency of friendships since I have no other consistency in my life. I'll have to investigate this more. Thanks for that input.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Gold member

I did not think about snowbirds and CYV. That is what we just bought. We already met 2 couples who bought on our street in Buttonwood..they were there looking at the homes they just bought just as we were. One is snowbirding and the other will be full time like us.
I still would not give up the CYV being fenced in. We do like the privacy and absolutely need the fencing for the furry kids. I am looking forward to having breakfast on the patio in my jammies and the fence will protect others from seeing me as the mess I am when I wake up.

I thought about other kinds of houses and underground fencing, but although that might keep the kids in, it does not keep other dogs out. With a little mini doxie, I would not feel she would be safe when another dog could come into the property.

When I lived in houses with fences before we all got to know each other. If you are interested in being friends with neighbors, as we are, there will be many opportunities to get together. It is more a matter of life style preference of being friendly than having or not having fences.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:20 AM
Sage

The difference, though, is that fences are prohibited by deed restrictions, which you receive when you contract to buy a home.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post

I thought about other kinds of houses and underground fencing. With a little mini doxie, I would not feel she would be safe when another dog could come into the property.
We have underground fencing and I don't worry about other dogs coming on our property, as I've never seen a dog running free in TV. Never.

However I would never leave my 10 lb. dog in the yard unsupervised. Even in a CYV, you might want to keep an eye out for circling birds. I'm probably paranoid, but there are eagles and hawks and I've seen them circling and looking for small prey.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

on nash loop in hemingway there are homes, basically cottage homes, with fences, just fyi.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
on nash loop in hemingway there are homes, basically cottage homes, with fences, just fyi.
True - but those were a one-time trial by TV development. They indicated they won't do it again. But who knows!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by momesu View Post
I am relatively new to these boards and hope I am doing this correctly.
I visited the TV in January and fell in love. I am, or rather will be, single by the time I hope to move down and so don't need a lot of pace. That said however I am a quilter and crafter and so am looking for three bedroom homes so I can have a dedicated sewing/craft studio and guest room. I really like the privacy of the Villa's but and also looking at Cottage homes since I am concerned that it might be harder to get to know neighbors if my yard is walled off from them.
When I stayed in TV in January I was staying with friends who had just moved into Pennicamp and they were always conversing with new neighbors while standing in backyards.
I know that Cottage homes seem to be a bit less expensive which is also something I need to factor in. I would love to hear if anyone has any experience or opinions to offer concerning CYV's verses Cottage Homes. It's scary when I think about having to make a decision as big as buying a home on my own after sharing decisions like that for 38 years......
Thanks for any opinion. Oh I am hoping to be able to visit TV again in June, July or August to choose a home.

S.
Momesu,

Keep us posted if you do choose a home this summer. I will be renting in TV in July but I'm still several years away from being able to buy in TV.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 04-22-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: word correction.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Gold member

Oh boy, another thing to worry about...eagles and hawks. I was glad moving from here and the coyotes who have howling debates with the kids. I will keep that in mind, that Gertie needs to be watched in the yard. Thank you for telling me about that, I appreciate knowing that now. When anything flies overhead here that is of concern she runs into the doggie door and into the safety of the house. Sadly, I did see a dog running unleashed when we were there on a LSP. That is why I nixed the idea of an unfenced house. I am a way too overprotective puppy mom....LOL
Old 04-22-2011, 03:01 PM

I would suggest that you select the home that you want and will feel most comfortable...not the one that you may be able to meet more people. After one month in The Villages you'll have more friends than you ever imagined.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Gold member

That's what I am most looking forward too. After all these years isolated in a small moutain town, I actually thrist for being around people!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default coyotes

barefoot, you probably don't need to worry about stray dogs but you do need to worry about the coyotes....gn
Old 04-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
That's what I am most looking forward too. After all these years isolated in a small moutain town, I actually thrist for being around people!
Your thirst shall be quenched and your cup shall overflow. You may even miss that quiet, lonely mountain.

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?

Last edited by Tweety Bird; 04-22-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: misspelled a word
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.