Family Pools

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Default Family Pools

This is the first time my grandchildren have visited since warm weather and we were very disappointed at our experience at our nearest family pool. The rules seemed a little excessive and those in charge seemed to be a little overly agressive. We have little ones and were told that no pool toys were allowed. Really? In a family pool where children are expected? No one was really rude but rather extremely "eager" to make sure no rubber duckies escaped into the water. I'm a little confused and wonder if others could explain the reasons for such strictness. I understand the need for rules but small children with age appropriate toys should be tolerated IMHO.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Some toys are allowed. Noodles are for sure but not other floating devices. I know someone will tell us what is allowed and not allowed.

I guess they have to see that rules are enforced or they will be removed from their position. I know at Hadley the neighbors granddaughters, college age, were not allowed to have those things you lie on and float around on.

The weeks around Spring break we have the most guests and I guess the staff has been directed to see that rules are followed.

Helene and I are there frequently and the staff knows us, but we are asked for our ID almost every time.

I know this will vary from pool to pool, some staff members are more meticulous than others.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnrbec View Post
This is the first time my grandchildren have visited since warm weather and we were very disappointed at our experience at our nearest family pool. The rules seemed a little excessive and those in charge seemed to be a little overly agressive. We have little ones and were told that no pool toys were allowed. Really? In a family pool where children are expected? No one was really rude but rather extremely "eager" to make sure no rubber duckies escaped into the water. I'm a little confused and wonder if others could explain the reasons for such strictness. I understand the need for rules but small children with age appropriate toys should be tolerated IMHO.
The rules are the rules. They are spelled out in the telephone book and somewhere on the recreation web site (I could not find them). Trouble might be what is "age appropriate", what age or what is appropriate. Solves a lot of confusion if the items are predefined what can be taken into the pools.
My grandkids easily adapted to the rules and have fun with the noodles we always take with us.
Also, not sure what you mean by "should be tolerated" by whom?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:36 PM

Old 04-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Sage

Rubber duckies were not tolerated? I think water pistols aren't allowed.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Sage

Here are the rules - from www.districtgov.org. See the 4th page of the document, lower RH corner, for the family pool info:

http://www.districtgov.org/images/RecGuide.pdf

Bill
Old 04-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Here are the rules - from www.districtgov.org. See the 4th page of the document, lower RH corner, for the family pool info:
http://www.districtgov.org/images/RecGuide.pdf
Bill
These sound like reasonable rules to me, considering all the ruckus and aggravation I've seen for years at other pools outside of TV. Many parents today want NO rules for the "little darlings" who might become scarred for life if told the word "no".

Throwing things and playing catch and running after them makes life miserable for adults trying to relax at a pool.....like when you're lying on a lounge chair napping, and you get hit in the chest or face with a soggy tennis ball...and the parent says "you have no right to correct MY child". Monster in the making.

"Family Pools:
• It is requested that children 36 months of age and younger wear protective rubber pants.
• Running, horseplay and throwing of any objects in the pool or deck area is prohibited.
• Noodles, unbreakable masks, goggles, and small plastic buckets are the only items allowed in the pool.
• Please encourage small guests to take bathroom breaks. • Approved life vests are permitted. Infant and toddler floatation devices are allowed with adult supervision."
Old 04-25-2011, 05:15 PM

If I wanted to swim during a busy family week, I would make sure to go to an adult pool if I didn't want to be bothered by children playing. Running around and horseplay are quite a bit different than small children (ages 2 and 5) using pool toys. They can't swim and don't much care for noodles so that leaves them with nothing much to do in the water. Just saying.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
These sound like reasonable rules to me, considering all the ruckus and aggravation I've seen for years at other pools outside of TV. Many parents today want NO rules for the "little darlings" who might become scarred for life if told the word "no".

Throwing things and playing catch and running after them makes life miserable for adults trying to relax at a pool.....like when you're lying on a lounge chair napping, and you get hit in the chest or face with a soggy tennis ball...and the parent says "you have no right to correct MY child". Monster in the making.

"Family Pools:
• It is requested that children 36 months of age and younger wear protective rubber pants.
• Running, horseplay and throwing of any objects in the pool or deck area is prohibited.
• Noodles, unbreakable masks, goggles, and small plastic buckets are the only items allowed in the pool.
• Please encourage small guests to take bathroom breaks. • Approved life vests are permitted. Infant and toddler floatation devices are allowed with adult supervision."
Old 04-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnrbec View Post
If I wanted to swim during a busy family week, I would make sure to go to an adult pool if I didn't want to be bothered by children playing. Running around and horseplay are quite a bit different than small children (ages 2 and 5) using pool toys. They can't swim and don't much care for noodles so that leaves them with nothing much to do in the water. Just saying.
Please tell us what kind of pool toys did your little ones bring and could not use? If you can be specific it would be a help to the rest of us so we can prepare the little ones in our respective families.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

The Morse organization has done a lot of right things in their planning of The Villages, but they may have fallen a little short in the planning of family pool areas.

In the camp ground we have been seasonal for years here in NY, they have an adult pool thats for 21 year olds and older. Right next to is is a separately fenced in area that has a wading pool with a fountain in the middle for the little ones where they can bring in their rubber duckies without any problems. The little ones have a blast in there. What parents have frequently done is bring their kiddies to that pool and the parents take turns going over to the heated adult pool while one stays with and supervises the kid(s).

Perhaps this family pool concern would be a non-issue today if they had thought when planning of doing similarly at the family pools in TV. Could it still be done; is there enough room to add it? I don't know the answers or if it would even be feasible, but it would be nice if they could!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 AM

This seems like a good time to vent about people leaving their shoes by the railing used to access the neighborhood pools. I generally need to help my 90 year old Mother into the pool and all these shoes by the railing are a safety hazard. We have to step over them to get her into the pool. Please leave your shoes by your chair or buy the ones that you can wear into the pool.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
The Morse organization has done a lot of right things in their planning of The Villages, but they may have fallen a little short in the planning of family pool areas.

In the camp ground we have been seasonal for years here in NY, they have an adult pool thats for 21 year olds and older. Right next to is is a separately fenced in area that has a wading pool with a fountain in the middle for the little ones where they can bring in their rubber duckies without any problems. The little ones have a blast in there. What parents have frequently done is bring their kiddies to that pool and the parents take turns going over to the heated adult pool while one stays with and supervises the kid(s).

Perhaps this family pool concern would be a non-issue today if they had thought when planning of doing similarly at the family pools in TV. Could it still be done; is there enough room to add it? I don't know the answers or if it would even be feasible, but it would be nice if they could!

I think...

That the planning was to make everything the best for us the residents with accommodations made for our infrequent guests. Children under the age of 19 can only visit up to 30 days per year.

So...all the pools are really adult pools, no life guards ever and no little baby pools. The ones at the rec center can have young guests but they must be accompanied by the adults.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-26-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Please tell us what kind of pool toys did your little ones bring and could not use? If you can be specific it would be a help to the rest of us so we can prepare the little ones in our respective families.
Perhaps the better approach would be to look at what is allowed, rather than what was not allowed. See Bill's post above for link.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm trying to imagine bringing my 2 YO grandson to a family pool during spring break. He wants his floating Mickey, a bucket (allowed) and at least one other bath toy. He'll be wearing his floaties (allowed) and I'll have his small inner tube (allowed). I'll have my noodle chair (allowed) and a couple of noodles (also allowed). My daughter will have another noodle chair (allowed). Another family brings their two grandchildren and 3 toys for each grandchild. And so on and so forth. That means every family is probably bringing at least 3 allowed items. That's going to make for quite a bit of things in the pool (besides the people). Now, imagine if other toys were allowed as well.

I understand your frustration but I also understand the reason for these rules. We all want to enjoy the pool and it really wouldn't be much fun if we constantly had to dodge toys (and kids don't put one toy away when they're ready to play with the next -- they would all be in the pool with them).

And I totally agree that a few wading pools next to the deeper family pools would be a truly great thing.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.