» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Family Pools
Old 04-25-2011, 03:13 PM

Default Family Pools

This is the first time my grandchildren have visited since warm weather and we were very disappointed at our experience at our nearest family pool. The rules seemed a little excessive and those in charge seemed to be a little overly agressive. We have little ones and were told that no pool toys were allowed. Really? In a family pool where children are expected? No one was really rude but rather extremely "eager" to make sure no rubber duckies escaped into the water. I'm a little confused and wonder if others could explain the reasons for such strictness. I understand the need for rules but small children with age appropriate toys should be tolerated IMHO.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Sage

Some toys are allowed. Noodles are for sure but not other floating devices. I know someone will tell us what is allowed and not allowed.

I guess they have to see that rules are enforced or they will be removed from their position. I know at Hadley the neighbors granddaughters, college age, were not allowed to have those things you lie on and float around on.

The weeks around Spring break we have the most guests and I guess the staff has been directed to see that rules are followed.

Helene and I are there frequently and the staff knows us, but we are asked for our ID almost every time.

I know this will vary from pool to pool, some staff members are more meticulous than others.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnrbec View Post
This is the first time my grandchildren have visited since warm weather and we were very disappointed at our experience at our nearest family pool. The rules seemed a little excessive and those in charge seemed to be a little overly agressive. We have little ones and were told that no pool toys were allowed. Really? In a family pool where children are expected? No one was really rude but rather extremely "eager" to make sure no rubber duckies escaped into the water. I'm a little confused and wonder if others could explain the reasons for such strictness. I understand the need for rules but small children with age appropriate toys should be tolerated IMHO.
The rules are the rules. They are spelled out in the telephone book and somewhere on the recreation web site (I could not find them). Trouble might be what is "age appropriate", what age or what is appropriate. Solves a lot of confusion if the items are predefined what can be taken into the pools.
My grandkids easily adapted to the rules and have fun with the noodles we always take with us.
Also, not sure what you mean by "should be tolerated" by whom?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:36 PM

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Sage

Rubber duckies were not tolerated? I think water pistols aren't allowed.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Sage

Here are the rules - from www.districtgov.org. See the 4th page of the document, lower RH corner, for the family pool info:

http://www.districtgov.org/images/RecGuide.pdf

Bill
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Here are the rules - from www.districtgov.org. See the 4th page of the document, lower RH corner, for the family pool info:
http://www.districtgov.org/images/RecGuide.pdf
Bill
These sound like reasonable rules to me, considering all the ruckus and aggravation I've seen for years at other pools outside of TV. Many parents today want NO rules for the "little darlings" who might become scarred for life if told the word "no".

Throwing things and playing catch and running after them makes life miserable for adults trying to relax at a pool.....like when you're lying on a lounge chair napping, and you get hit in the chest or face with a soggy tennis ball...and the parent says "you have no right to correct MY child". Monster in the making.

"Family Pools:
It is requested that children 36 months of age and younger wear protective rubber pants.
Running, horseplay and throwing of any objects in the pool or deck area is prohibited.
Noodles, unbreakable masks, goggles, and small plastic buckets are the only items allowed in the pool.
Please encourage small guests to take bathroom breaks. Approved life vests are permitted. Infant and toddler floatation devices are allowed with adult supervision."
Old 04-25-2011, 05:15 PM

If I wanted to swim during a busy family week, I would make sure to go to an adult pool if I didn't want to be bothered by children playing. Running around and horseplay are quite a bit different than small children (ages 2 and 5) using pool toys. They can't swim and don't much care for noodles so that leaves them with nothing much to do in the water. Just saying.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
These sound like reasonable rules to me, considering all the ruckus and aggravation I've seen for years at other pools outside of TV. Many parents today want NO rules for the "little darlings" who might become scarred for life if told the word "no".

Throwing things and playing catch and running after them makes life miserable for adults trying to relax at a pool.....like when you're lying on a lounge chair napping, and you get hit in the chest or face with a soggy tennis ball...and the parent says "you have no right to correct MY child". Monster in the making.

"Family Pools:
It is requested that children 36 months of age and younger wear protective rubber pants.
Running, horseplay and throwing of any objects in the pool or deck area is prohibited.
Noodles, unbreakable masks, goggles, and small plastic buckets are the only items allowed in the pool.
Please encourage small guests to take bathroom breaks. Approved life vests are permitted. Infant and toddler floatation devices are allowed with adult supervision."

Worcester (Wistah) Massachusetts-52 years
The Village Of Amelia The Villages Fl -September 09-
June 10, 2013 Gilchrist
We are "Frogs" as of 08-21-2011
Old 04-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnrbec View Post
If I wanted to swim during a busy family week, I would make sure to go to an adult pool if I didn't want to be bothered by children playing. Running around and horseplay are quite a bit different than small children (ages 2 and 5) using pool toys. They can't swim and don't much care for noodles so that leaves them with nothing much to do in the water. Just saying.
Please tell us what kind of pool toys did your little ones bring and could not use? If you can be specific it would be a help to the rest of us so we can prepare the little ones in our respective families.
Closed Thread