» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Sage

Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

The Morse organization has done a lot of right things in their planning of The Villages, but they may have fallen a little short in the planning of family pool areas.

In the camp ground we have been seasonal for years here in NY, they have an adult pool thats for 21 year olds and older. Right next to is is a separately fenced in area that has a wading pool with a fountain in the middle for the little ones where they can bring in their rubber duckies without any problems. The little ones have a blast in there. What parents have frequently done is bring their kiddies to that pool and the parents take turns going over to the heated adult pool while one stays with and supervises the kid(s).

Perhaps this family pool concern would be a non-issue today if they had thought when planning of doing similarly at the family pools in TV. Could it still be done; is there enough room to add it? I don't know the answers or if it would even be feasible, but it would be nice if they could!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"

Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 AM

This seems like a good time to vent about people leaving their shoes by the railing used to access the neighborhood pools. I generally need to help my 90 year old Mother into the pool and all these shoes by the railing are a safety hazard. We have to step over them to get her into the pool. Please leave your shoes by your chair or buy the ones that you can wear into the pool.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
The Morse organization has done a lot of right things in their planning of The Villages, but they may have fallen a little short in the planning of family pool areas.

In the camp ground we have been seasonal for years here in NY, they have an adult pool thats for 21 year olds and older. Right next to is is a separately fenced in area that has a wading pool with a fountain in the middle for the little ones where they can bring in their rubber duckies without any problems. The little ones have a blast in there. What parents have frequently done is bring their kiddies to that pool and the parents take turns going over to the heated adult pool while one stays with and supervises the kid(s).

Perhaps this family pool concern would be a non-issue today if they had thought when planning of doing similarly at the family pools in TV. Could it still be done; is there enough room to add it? I don't know the answers or if it would even be feasible, but it would be nice if they could!

I think...

That the planning was to make everything the best for us the residents with accommodations made for our infrequent guests. Children under the age of 19 can only visit up to 30 days per year.

So...all the pools are really adult pools, no life guards ever and no little baby pools. The ones at the rec center can have young guests but they must be accompanied by the adults.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-26-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Please tell us what kind of pool toys did your little ones bring and could not use? If you can be specific it would be a help to the rest of us so we can prepare the little ones in our respective families.
Perhaps the better approach would be to look at what is allowed, rather than what was not allowed. See Bill's post above for link.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Sage

I'm trying to imagine bringing my 2 YO grandson to a family pool during spring break. He wants his floating Mickey, a bucket (allowed) and at least one other bath toy. He'll be wearing his floaties (allowed) and I'll have his small inner tube (allowed). I'll have my noodle chair (allowed) and a couple of noodles (also allowed). My daughter will have another noodle chair (allowed). Another family brings their two grandchildren and 3 toys for each grandchild. And so on and so forth. That means every family is probably bringing at least 3 allowed items. That's going to make for quite a bit of things in the pool (besides the people). Now, imagine if other toys were allowed as well.

I understand your frustration but I also understand the reason for these rules. We all want to enjoy the pool and it really wouldn't be much fun if we constantly had to dodge toys (and kids don't put one toy away when they're ready to play with the next -- they would all be in the pool with them).

And I totally agree that a few wading pools next to the deeper family pools would be a truly great thing.

"If pigs had wings they'd be pigeons." Robert A. Heinlein
Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
I think...

That the planning was to make everything the best for us the residents with accomadations made for our infrequent guests. Children under the age of 19 can only visit up to 30 days per year.

So...all the pools are really adult pools, no life guards ever and no little baby pools. The ones at the rec center can have young guests but they must be accompanied by the adults.
Based on the reasoning of what you've stated I have to ask... if the Charter School can be provided by The Villages as a benefit to those who serve The Villages directly or through businesses within The Villages, then what would be the problem with The Villages providing a wading pool at a comparatively insignifant expense, in at least two neighborhood centers (one located strategicly in the northern section and another in the southern section of The Villages) where TV residents would have the option of bringing their little grandchildren without rubber duckey restrictions? Seems to me to be a no brainer win-win idea for both grandparents and users of family pools!
Click the image to open in full size.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Based on the reasoning of what you've stated I have to ask... if the Charter School can be provided by The Villages as a benefit to those who serve The Villages directly or through businesses within The Villages, then what would be the problem with The Villages providing a wading pool at a comparatively insignifant expense, in at least two neighborhood centers (one located strategicly in the northern section and another in the southern section of The Villages) where TV residents would have the option of bringing their little grandchildren without rubber duckey restrictions? Seems to me to be a no brainer win-win idea for both grandparents and users of family pools!
Skyguy.

I think that those are good ideas, but it isn't gonna happen because this is not a voting form of government.

I haven't ever heard from my grandchildren or anyone else that their kids didn't have a great time at the pools the way they are. If we allowed everyone's good ideas then we would need slides and than...........life guards and.........on and on.

And then our amenity fees would be much more than the $135 that it is now.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Veteran member

We were doing a cart-ride on Easter Sunday and stopped by Fishhawk to just take a look. The day being hot and nice, had alot of families at this pool. The employee that was there chatted with us saying there were approx. 65 people in the pool and around it (it looked quite crowded to me) but 120 is the max and when that number comes up..then people are turned away. IF all the children at this pool had had toys (even one) it could have seemed excessive. Personally I stay away from the family pools when it's this busy. I think even some of the neighborhood pools can be this way as well. I do alot of pool-walking so try to go at a "quieter" time (late in the day or early in the day) to be comfortable. IMO I've seen some very polite families at the pools and I've also observed some who seem to take the pool over without consideration of others. But that can transcend into any activity here in T.V.

I don't have toddler grands...but can see a real need for a real children's pool area. At the family pools it isn't shallow enough for young kids. Maybe a petition should be made to the Morse's to see what could be done re: this.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Skyguy.

I think that those are good ideas, but it isn't gonna happen because this is not a voting form of government.

I haven't ever heard from my grandchildren or anyone else that their kids didn't have a great time at the pools the way they are. If we allowed everyone's good ideas then we would need slides and than...........life guards and.........on and on.

Damm, when I was a kid we had to swim in a crappy lake with a stick for a toy. My heart bleeds for the child that can't have his rubber ducky. Jeezz!

LET IT GO!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Skyguy.

I'll "allow" that one to "slide" before we need "life guards" here on TOTV!
p.s. my kitties send their regards to your kitties! Click the image to open in full size.
Closed Thread