Family Pools

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Gold member
Default Aggressive pool guardians

My family similarly had an unpleasant experience this Sunday at Fishhawk family pool. Baby toys were taken from toddlers by the guard (the "no toy rule", despite there being no such rule posted at the pool). I understand now, that rules are listed elsewhere. My disappointment was additionally aimed at the only family in the pool who complained to the guard. Prior to this family's arrival, the other 61 of us had watched children happily playing with their harmless pool toys (and I mean FOAM toys, or baloon like beach balls) This one family gathered in a corner of the pool, and vocally decided things were not to THEIR liking. We had observed the most senior lady of the group, apparently being very fearful of splashing. (new hair do). Perhaps that family would have been happier in the adult pool, where presumably there would be no splashing. Not content to glower at the children (in a childrens' pool no less), they issued a formal complaint. We then heard the relief attendant, declare "well, I like a challenge" That apparently appeased them, because they left the pool..... My 14 year old grand-daughter's comment, "Well, this is not my idea of America's friendliest home town".... out of the mouths of babes..... We have since officially complained over the way the entire fracas was handled. Not so happy grandma.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
• Noodles, unbreakable masks, goggles, and small plastic buckets are the only items allowed in the pool.
• Please encourage small guests to take bathroom breaks. • Approved life vests are permitted. Infant and toddler floatation devices are allowed with adult supervision."
How large can that small bucket be? What if the bucket is shaped like a duck?
Can the toddler flotation device look like a duck?
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, rules are rules are rules etc.
Sounds pretty ridiculous to me.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
My family similarly had an unpleasant experience this Sunday at Fishhawk family pool. Baby toys were taken from toddlers by the guard (the "no toy rule", despite there being no such rule posted at the pool). I understand now, that rules are listed elsewhere. My disappointment was additionally aimed at the only family in the pool who complained to the guard. Prior to this family's arrival, the other 61 of us had watched children happily playing with their harmless pool toys (and I mean FOAM toys, or baloon like beach balls) This one family gathered in a corner of the pool, and vocally decided things were not to THEIR liking. We had observed the most senior lady of the group, apparently being very fearful of splashing. (new hair do). Perhaps that family would have been happier in the adult pool, where presumably there would be no splashing. Not content to glower at the children (in a childrens' pool no less), they issued a formal complaint. We then heard the relief attendant, declare "well, I like a challenge" That apparently appeased them, because they left the pool..... My 14 year old grand-daughter's comment, "Well, this is not my idea of America's friendliest home town".... out of the mouths of babes..... We have since officially complained over the way the entire fracas was handled. Not so happy grandma.
I am sorry that you had this experience, and that the attendant was not able to adhere to the rules without causing offense...that is something of a thankless job. But, to be fair, it is not a children's pool.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
Were the toys really "taken" from the toddlers in the sense they were removed from their hands or physically removed from the pool??? Or were the parents asked to not put them in the pool.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
I am sorry that you had this experience, and that the attendant was not able to adhere to the rules without causing offense...that is something of a thankless job. But, to be fair, it is not a children's pool.
You're right, Fishhawk isn't a childrens pool but it is a family pool. To me, "family pool" implies that children may be there. Children are not small adults. They do children things.
My wife and I like to go to Fishhawk sometimes because there are families there, kids and all. Kind of like the real world.
One afternoon there were about a half dozen kids there having fun. Nothing especially rowdy, nothing really loud. In comes in an old grouch and proceeds to sit by us. He immediately began glaring at the kids and complaining to anyone withing earshot. I tried to be ignore him but finally got tired of listening to him. I asked him why he didn't go to a neighborhood pool if kids bothered him that much. Now he glared at me, as if I cared, and went stomping off.
Good riddance.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Platinum member

Many established rules do not always make sense or may seem ridiculous to some in many areas, not just this pool discussion. Seems like a lot of problems could be avoided if people would be more proactive rather than reactive.

This could be a teaching lesson for everyone from the children to the staff charged with rules compliance. Kids need to learn that there are boundaries (or rules, if you will) in many aspects of life and everything is not always what we would like or are in agreement with. I know that as a teenager especially, I thought many of my mother's rules were totally off the wall when she actually had some really sound reasons for establishing and enforcing them. Did I always get a detailed explanation of them? No. Did I have to abide by them even if I didn't agree or like? Absolutely.

Maybe a flyer could be handed out to residents when they pick up their guest passes regarding do's and don'ts for use of the amenities with reference to where to find a more detailed ruling of each. Some are already pretty much spelled out on the sheet containing the cards.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 04-27-2011, 06:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

That was a great post Dillywho. I reread my posts on this thread and I think I came off sounding antichild when in truth I love little ones, enjoy being with them and watching other peoples and was a kindergarten teacher for decades, my happiest job.

My point is that none of us would be disappointed so badly if we knew what to expect, the big ones and the little ones. Sometimes the rules do chafe, but when we have a LOT of company in TV such as this holiday time, than the rules are probably more closely enforced. Pool toys lying around can trip seniors, of course they would be clumsy and older than me, but they could. When we go to a family pool, we go with the expectation that it will be loud and busy and smaller humans will be making quick and unexpected movements. I see people playing a lot with kids and talking to them and carrying them. I never really saw anyone not having a good time, big or little. Grandparents were lavishing attention on their little folks and the little ones were smiling back. I know, if I had a small grandchild, I would want to get them the biggest soaker I could find and have a fleet of rubber duckies for them. I am sorry if I sounded uncaring. My college age grandchildren want to discuss political philosophy. What fun is that???

A flyer with the passes is a wonderful idea.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Default Family Pool rules

I agree "rules are rules" and that the attendants are held accountable during their watches. However, last summer my grandson (10 yrs. old) was using a mask, snorkel and rubber flippers, and was told he couldn't use them (other than the mask). It does seem a little extreme at times. I suppose that's why people have private pools installed.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That was a great post Dillywho. I reread my posts on this thread and I think I came off sounding antichild when in truth I love little ones, enjoy being with them and watching other peoples and was a kindergarten teacher for decades, my happiest job.

My point is that none of us would be disappointed so badly if we knew what to expect, the big ones and the little ones. Sometimes the rules do chafe, but when we have a LOT of company in TV such as this holiday time, than the rules are probably more closely enforced. Pool toys lying around can trip seniors, of course they would be clumsy and older than me, but they could. When we go to a family pool, we go with the expectation that it will be loud and busy and smaller humans will be making quick and unexpected movements. I see people playing a lot with kids and talking to them and carrying them. I never really saw anyone not having a good time, big or little. Grandparents were lavishing attention on their little folks and the little ones were smiling back. I know, if I had a small grandchild, I would want to get them the biggest soaker I could find and have a fleet of rubber duckies for them. I am sorry if I sounded uncaring. My college age grandchildren want to discuss political philosophy. What fun is that???

A flyer with the passes is a wonderful idea.
Thanks, Gracie. I, too, love the little ones and know for a fact that you do.

My point is/was that you can teach them that when there are rules, they are to be observed. This doesn't mean that you don't love them...quite the contrary. Children are going to love their grandparents even if they don't let them have what they want. They will still love them even when they don't get to drive the golf cart, play on the billiards tables, take any items they desire to the pool, etc. It's up to us to guide our youth to be good, caring, and responsible adults. We can do that and still have great, memorable times together.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 04-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Gold member

Why can't I take my scuba gear to the neighborhood pool -- why can't my grandchildren bring there kayak to the family pool (it is not the children's pool) - - why why why --- maybe we could have a priority membership for a chrildrens pool you can buy for an additional $500 per year,--- maybe grandma and grandpa could take the children to the beach---sorry there are rules there too.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Why can't I take my scuba gear to the neighborhood pool -- why can't my grandchildren bring there kayak to the family pool (it is not the children's pool) - - why why why --- maybe we could have a priority membership for a chrildrens pool you can buy for an additional $500 per year,--- maybe grandma and grandpa could take the children to the beach---sorry there are rules there too.
Agree fully.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Sage

At least we have pools where children are allowed. My kids other grandmother had a condo in Hallendale (FL) where no kids were allowed in the 4-ft deep pool at all. Fortunately there was a beach just yards away.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
You're right, Fishhawk isn't a childrens pool but it is a family pool. To me, "family pool" implies that children may be there. Children are not small adults. They do children things.
My wife and I like to go to Fishhawk sometimes because there are families there, kids and all. Kind of like the real world.
One afternoon there were about a half dozen kids there having fun. Nothing especially rowdy, nothing really loud. In comes in an old grouch and proceeds to sit by us. He immediately began glaring at the kids and complaining to anyone withing earshot. I tried to be ignore him but finally got tired of listening to him. I asked him why he didn't go to a neighborhood pool if kids bothered him that much. Now he glared at me, as if I cared, and went stomping off.
Good riddance.
Bluedog,

I don't disagree with you that children are children - or that one reason to go to the family pools is to enjoy the pure joy that they bring.

I do agree with Dilly - the rules are there for a reason, and whether we agree or think they are silly and arbitrary, they are still the rules. They are a great way to teach our children that there are boundaries. Just as we tell them that, as much fun as it might be to ride on the back of the golf cart, or to drive that golf cart - it is not allowed.

Children need boundaries and limits to grow up responsibly. If they see the adults in their life breaking the rules - then how do they learn?

If you don't like the current rules, lobby to get them changed - be proactive. Neither being a grumpy old sourpuss around kids being kids nor ignoring the rules is justified...
Old 04-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Oh, the irony of it all....

What's ironic, is that the only ones who complain about the rules are the adults! I took my Grandkids [ages 9 and 5] to the pool and they were promptly told they could not take the pool toys into the pool. So, they [Grandkids] put the toys back in the bag, popped on their goggles and had a great time in the pool. The only ones, who were "mildly" upset by the rules, were my Son and DIL.... They got over it pretty quickly, but they did grumble a little.

Bottomline: Kids don't care. They are the ones most affected by the rules and they couldn't care less. They just want to spend time with you.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
What's ironic, is that the only ones who complain about the rules are the adults! I took my Grandkids [ages 9 and 5] to the pool and they were promptly told they could not take the pool toys into the pool. So, they [Grandkids] put the toys back in the bag, popped on their goggles and had a great time in the pool. The only ones, who were "mildly" upset by the rules, were my Son and DIL.... They got over it pretty quickly, but they did grumble a little.

Bottomline: Kids don't care. They are the ones most affected by the rules and they couldn't care less. They just want to spend time with you.
Great post and so correct IMO.

Remember when we were kids and our parents said we couldn't get to the ballpark or something. What did we do? We rolled a few pair of old socks together and played something we called sockball. Just use your arm as a bat and the socks as the ball. You could play in the street or the driveway and have all the fun you could handle. I'm sure many of you did as well.

Kids will find a way to have fun.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.