Family Pools

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Sage
Default very common occurences

"One father was running and jumping cannonball style into the pool full of people with his three sons."

And did they whip him a ball while in the air after jumping off the pool side and before making sure he cannonball splashed everyone else there?

Or how about doing some no-hands "sailor" dives (diving head first with hands firmly at their sides) into 5-foot deep water? Guys like this are the norm in too many situations now and that's why more safety rules are added.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Veteran member

I was at a family pool one day awhile back and a family came down. The dad proceeded to dive in the pool after which I pointed to the sign and said "they don't want you diving due to it being dangerous!" He responded with "Oh, I know!" and did it again... My thought is....do it then and suffer whatever the consequences! I've known of more than one person who has had neck injuries and worse from doing such things! It's just crazy how people don't think that rules apply to them....just everyone else!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Sage

It was really eye-opening, frustrating and sort of sad for me to see adults act so irresponsible. I would remind my niece and nephew to be careful not to splash and I'd quietly remind them to watch out around the younger kids. It was disheartening to see adults behave as if they have no concern for others. Worse than that, they were setting that example for their children. Sad.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Or how about doing some no-hands "sailor" dives (diving head first with hands firmly at their sides) into 5-foot deep water? Guys like this are the norm in too many situations now and that's why more safety rules are added.
Just a short story to demonstrate the danger of acting like the guy your talking about!

When I was a teenager I was at a pool and did what I'll call an upside down cannon ball... arms in same position as regular cannon ball but entering the water head first. I had done this same dive many times prior, but one time I forgot to pull out of it as soon as I hit the water and smacked my head on the concrete bottom of the pool. (no wise cracks please) The pool wasn't just 5 feet deep but 7 feet. Left a good mark on my forehead and it was the last time I ever did it!

Now not too long before this happened we had a kid in our small town that got hit on the forehead with an ice sickle that fell from his home roof top, didn't get medical attention and died the next morning. But in my case I was too young and too stupid to learn from his death and didn't say anything to anyone. I had trouble sleeping that night because I started worring about if I would make it until morning.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Default Buddy System

My friend in college was taking a class as a phys ed major , where she was in a swimming pool with others. One of the students drowned right in front of the teacher. No one saw her struggle. They apparently did not teach the buddy system that I was taught as a child.

I also once had to climb up on a picnic table to scream at some young mothers who were chit chatting. A baby was at the bottom of the kiddie pool! I was behind a fence. I agree with the interacting of the little ones for their own saftey.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

The Villages FloridaGlad you did ..... make it to morning, that is.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:54 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
The Villages FloridaGlad you did ..... make it to morning, that is.
Thanks... mee too!!! Just think about it. If I didn't I'd be know as GhostMan today here on TOTV!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.