Few questions from a soon to be Villager

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2016, 06:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Few questions from a soon to be Villager

1) What is the prevalent Gas Station brand down there ?

2) Who are the cable companies and or internet only companies servicing The Villages? I know COMCRAP is there - we rented and suffered with them for a month ...... are there any choices or are they the only ones?

If they are it's DirecTV for me. We have FIOS up here, dumped COMCRAP the day FIOS wired our neighborhood and never looked back but I know they aren't in FL. Is there a similar service (Fiber Optic) down there?

3) I would like to ship stuff down there from NJ by UPS or USPS a little at a time and have it stored for a month or 2 until we get into our home. I know storage facilities exist but not "ship to and store."

Anyone heard of any such thing?
Old 12-04-2016, 09:06 AM
Sage

Re Gas Stations: Shell Oil, Murphy Oil (Walmart), Sam's Club, Racetrack, Marathon, and many others. Publix sometimes prints a coupon worth $50 of gas for a $40 charge in their weekly grocery ads for Shell and Racetrack debit cards, a 20% saving. Otherwise, Sam's seems to have the best prices.

Cable companies: Comcast, Brighthouse, Century Link DNS. Century Link is the local phone company and cannot supply over 10 mbps in certain neighborhoods. Brighthouse is available only south of 466A. Never heard of FiOS here.

Haven't heard of ship and store facilities but you might call around. Sounds like a good service.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:39 AM

Century Link supplies TV (Prism), ISP and hardwired phone services. They have fiber optic in homes south of 466A. If you order TV from them, be sure an specify that you want Prism; otherwise, they'll sell you DirecTV.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdonze View Post
Century Link supplies TV (Prism), ISP and hardwired phone services. They have fiber optic in homes south of 466A.
I live about a mile north of 466A off St. Charles and have been with Century Link for 5-1/2 years and I was told I have fiber optic. I've had internet since the beginning and have never had a modem. I plug my router or computer directly into the wall jack. Whenever I called customer service, I have to tell them I have 'to the wall'.

I've only had one outage in all that time, and they sent a repairman the same day. There is a backup battery for the phone and internet in the garage in case of a power outage during a hurricane or whatever. We had a strong thunderstorm and apparently lightning hit near the garage and killed the battery. They replaced the battery and service was restored.

My neighbor had their Prism TV for awhile, and he said there was a lot of pixelation, so he switched to some online service. I've had Directv the entire time and it's pretty nice. Only complaint is it gets a little expensive.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:47 AM

We are in Santiago, the village behind Savannah Center, and we have Century Link fiber optic internet and TV. Works great.
Closed Thread

Tags
fios, comcrap, month, ship, companies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.