Finding a property manager?

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2016, 07:58 PM
Default Finding a property manager?

I'm looking for a property manager to help rent my house this winter. I've read some bad reviews here about the local company and called the one woman who had good reviews but she only works in her neighborhood. I know I can go to the Villages4rent site and find a renter but I worry about credit reports, the right amount of deposit, etc. Thanks for any and all information.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:53 PM

In my opinion, you are much better off renting it yourself. I have been through 4 property managers who were awful. Don't count on them doing credit checks or background checks. My last property manager rented our home to a single 60 year old lady, who the property manager told us was a wonderful women, who ended up wrecking our house. The Property Manager did not do a walk through when the renter left, gave back her security/damage deposit...which cost me thousands of dollars. I live in California and now manage the house myself, and it is a lot easier. I have had nothing but good tenants since. It is pretty easy to check someone out on the internet, by googling their name, their phone number, their address, etc. You can also get a good feel of them, by talking to them. Property managers do not have a magic way of knowing who they are renting to. I think a homeowner has better instincts then a property manager that is just out to collect their commission. You can also sign up with a credit checking website, if you want to, but I haven't needed to do that. Especially if you get a Reservation/Security/Damage deposit well in advance of them renting it and have them pay the rent in advance of them moving in. In the Villages, you are usually able to rent your house for 2 or 3 months at a time and the standard is to collect the total amount of rent in advance, not month by month. So, considering that you have a security deposit, plus 2 or 3 months rent in advance, there is not much risk. You will have to register with the State of Florida and the County in which the house is located, in order to pay the sale's tax that is due when you rent out your house. You need to charge the renter the sale's tax, or include it in your rental price, and pay the sale's tax every month. Once you get the hang of it, it is not a big deal. If you don't pay the sale's tax, there is a big fine and a very large penalty. Also, the property manager does not pay your bills. You still have to manage that. Also, if there are any problems with the house when the tenants are there, the property manger does one of two things. They either get the problem fixed and send you the bill (but they are not careful about who they choose to fix the problem and are not concerned about the price) or they call you and ask you how you want to handle the problem and you have to take care of it anyhow. So, there is very little a property manager really does. It is just as easy, if not easier, to get your own renters.

One more note on long term rentals. If you are going to rent your house out for 6 months or more, then no sale's tax is due to the state or county.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:15 AM
Veteran member

If you don't want to do it yourself use The Villages Management Company. Very profesional.

Contact The Villages Hometown Property Management
Old 08-11-2016, 12:40 PM

I use VIR to rent my home. I have used them for over 18months now and I have nothing but good things to say about them. My house stays booked even in the summer and I get more money for my house than i have ever gotten before. I highly recommend them to anyone.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecrenshaw View Post
In my opinion, you are much better off renting it yourself. I have been through 4 property managers who were awful. Don't count on them doing credit checks or background checks. My last property manager rented our home to a single 60 year old lady, who the property manager told us was a wonderful women, who ended up wrecking our house. The Property Manager did not do a walk through when the renter left, gave back her security/damage deposit...which cost me thousands of dollars. I live in California and now manage the house myself, and it is a lot easier. I have had nothing but good tenants since. It is pretty easy to check someone out on the internet, by googling their name, their phone number, their address, etc. You can also get a good feel of them, by talking to them. Property managers do not have a magic way of knowing who they are renting to. I think a homeowner has better instincts then a property manager that is just out to collect their commission. You can also sign up with a credit checking website, if you want to, but I haven't needed to do that. Especially if you get a Reservation/Security/Damage deposit well in advance of them renting it and have them pay the rent in advance of them moving in. In the Villages, you are usually able to rent your house for 2 or 3 months at a time and the standard is to collect the total amount of rent in advance, not month by month. So, considering that you have a security deposit, plus 2 or 3 months rent in advance, there is not much risk. You will have to register with the State of Florida and the County in which the house is located, in order to pay the sale's tax that is due when you rent out your house. You need to charge the renter the sale's tax, or include it in your rental price, and pay the sale's tax every month. Once you get the hang of it, it is not a big deal. If you don't pay the sale's tax, there is a big fine and a very large penalty. Also, the property manager does not pay your bills. You still have to manage that. Also, if there are any problems with the house when the tenants are there, the property manger does one of two things. They either get the problem fixed and send you the bill (but they are not careful about who they choose to fix the problem and are not concerned about the price) or they call you and ask you how you want to handle the problem and you have to take care of it anyhow. So, there is very little a property manager really does. It is just as easy, if not easier, to get your own renters.

One more note on long term rentals. If you are going to rent your house out for 6 months or more, then no sale's tax is due to the state or county.
I agree. Rent it yourself. [emoji7]

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Default Property Mgr

We use Vicky from Down Home Property Mgt….no problems..she handles 2 houses for us.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
I agree. Rent it yourself. [emoji7]

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Agreed. Post the listing on Villagers4rent.com and book it yourself, then use Cunningham Home Services to do the rest of the coordination, cleaning, etc.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
If you don't want to do it yourself use The Villages Management Company. Very profesional.

Contact The Villages Hometown Property Management
OP,
We had a very bad experience with Hometown Property Management. We knew our house was going to be empty for several months until we could move in, so we contracted with them to 'keep an eye' on the house. This was a disaster. There was an undetected problem with the water heater, causing me to call the fire department when I arrived. There was the water inside the house and the resulting mold in the carpet, etc, and all the while I was getting glowing reports of the weekly walkthroughs and that everything was fine.
IMHO, if you are going to use them, have a trusted neighbor double check....
Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Gold member

I rent my home through Lois Johnson at JD&V Property Management. My home was rented as a long-term, unfurnished rental for 4 years and is now on the seasonal market. I am pleased with Lois at JD&V.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Check with the BBB and with Seniors Vs Crime before you sign a contract for rental property management. They have records on several property managers in the area.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierPa View Post
Agreed. Post the listing on Villagers4rent.com and book it yourself, then use Cunningham Home Services to do the rest of the coordination, cleaning, etc.
Second recommendation for Cunninghams. They have been great.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neak1936 View Post
I use VIR to rent my home. I have used them for over 18months now and I have nothing but good things to say about them. My house stays booked even in the summer and I get more money for my house than i have ever gotten before. I highly recommend them to anyone.
Hi and thanks for your info but can you tell me who VIR is and how to get in touch with them? Thanks so much!
Old 08-17-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecrenshaw View Post

What a wealth of information, thank you so very much. I think I will try to rent myself based on all the advise from TOTV. Thanks again
Old 08-17-2016, 08:57 PM

This is the best advice! You are 100% correct. Please do your homework. I know this personally
Closed Thread

Tags
property, manager, reviews, site, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.