Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Platinum member
Default The Village Fire Chief arrested for child abuse

A new story everyday,,,,,,,,,,

Fire Chief of Villages arrested on charge of child abuse
January 16, 2014 By Meta Minton 2 Comments

Mike Tucker
Villages Fire Chief Mike Tucker has been arrested on a charge of child abuse.
He has been with the Villages Public Safety Department for more than a decade.
He was arrested by Sumter County sheriffs deputies late Thursday afternoon.
Tucker was the Florida Fire Chiefs Association chief of the year in 2011.
He has been a member of the fire service for 28 years. He is a certified paramedic and a graduate of the National Fire Academys Executive Fire Officer Program. Tucker earned an Associates Degree in Fire Science from Lake-Sumter Community College, a Bachelors Degree in Business Management from the University of Phoenix, and a Masters Degree in Public Administration from Florida Gulf Coast University.
Filed Under: News

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 01-17-2014, 07:37 AM
Sage

What is the source of this story?
nevermind...I found it: **************

comment...innocent until proven guilty...
Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
What is the source of this story?
nevermind...I found it: **************

comment...innocent until proven guilty...
Exactly lets not bash the guy, we don't even know the whole story.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Platinum member

villages news .com

the link can not be posted her

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Exactly lets not bash the guy, we don't even know the whole story.
Yes, agree. Wait for the full story before blowing this out of proportion. He wrote the editorial in this week's Rec News and he mentioned having four teenaged sons - if my memory serves me, that would test the patience of Job!

Don't crucify the guy on this site before the full story is known!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-17-2014, 08:38 AM
Platinum member

I have yet to see a bash..

Mine was a repost.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 01-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,296 Times in 534 Posts

Too early ---not enough information. It's a sad situation REGARDLESS innocent or guilty outcome.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

......until you walk in someone elses shoes.........

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 01-17-2014, 09:19 AM

He made the 11PM news (Orlando local CBS affiliate) last night. He was being held without bond.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsanborn View Post
He made the 11PM news (Orlando local CBS affiliate) last night. He was being held without bond.
Imagine what Mike Tucker's family is going through, whether the charges are true or false. My heart goes out to his wife and children.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:09 AM

It was also on the front page of the Sun today.

Being just 1 count against him, I say let's wait to hear his side, too. He's done so much good for this this area that I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but if he's truly guilty, then that's a shame.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:39 AM

Once the details come out - we can determine who needs to go. The fire chief or the sheriff. If it is a simple case of whopping a kid then the sheriff needs to go. If it is something more, than the fire chief needs to go. In any case, the Morse publicity machine can't be happy.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:51 AM

My Heart Goes Out To Chief Mike Tucker And His Family, He Has Brought The Villages Public Safety Department Into The 21st Century Model Envied By Many, He Is Professional, Polished, Classy, Innovative And Inspirational And We Should NOT Pass Judgement On This Man Until We Know ALL The Details !!!!!! FYI, If The Morse Publicity Team Didn't Want This On The Front Page Of The Paper, We Wouldn't Be Talking About This Today Folks !!!!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,134 Times in 826 Posts

I hope to see these same innocent until proven guilty comments on every thread about someone who has been arrested. And IMO no matter what the final outcome, the sheriff does not "need to go" if this is "nothing more than whopping a kid" The sheriff does his or her job by making arrests when there is cause, the judicial system will take it from here. If there is an accusation it becomes the obligation of the police to investigate and if appropriate arrest. If the arrest was inappropriate then the accused has access to that same judicial system for relief. It's the system we have, and it usually works well at least for non-poor people. And "whopping a kid" is a crime as it should be.
Florida chapter 39
Abuse” means any willful act or threatened act that results in any physical, mental, or sexual abuse, injury, or harm that causes or is likely to cause the child’s physical, mental, or emotional health to be significantly impaired. Abuse of a child includes acts or omissions. Corporal discipline of a child by a parent or legal custodian for disciplinary purposes does not in itself constitute abuse when it does not result in harm to the child.

The law goes on to define "harm" and if you wish to understand the severity of what has to allegedly happen before a charge can be made I would strongly encourage you to read the things that are listed as covered.
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
Old 01-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,274 Times in 2,360 Posts

A little more info. Channel 9 out of Orlando noon news. Fire chief got in an argument with someone, which escalated to an altercation. No information on the other individual was given. Chief has a hearing with a judge this afternoon. The reporter said more information at 4PM

From the Daily Commercial
Millard K. Ives | Staff Writer millardives@dailycommercial.com | 0 comments

Fire Chief Mike Tucker of the District Public Safety Department in The Villages was arrested Thursday on child abuse charges.

He is being held in the Sumter County jail without bail and was scheduled to make his first appearance on the charges this morning in the Sumter County courthouse.

According to a heavily redacted arrest affidavit, Tucker was arguing with a child and allegedly stuck him, knocking him off a bar stool. Tucker then allegedly jumped on the child, pinning the child to the ground with his knee, and started beating him.

Tucker then allegedly dragged the child into the front yard and continued beating him, including hitting his head against a gate.

The fire chief told officials "we were tussling pretty good."

The affidavit said authorities became involved after a student at the child’s school was made aware of bruises to the victim’s shoulder, ribs, back, neck and head.

According to Lt. Bobby Caruthers, a spokesman for the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office, the incident occurred Wednesday. The allegations were reported to the sheriff’s office on Thursday and, after an interview with detectives at a sheriff’s substation, Tucker was arrested.

Tucker has been employed with the District Public Safety Office since 2011 and received the 2011 Florida Fire Chief of the Year award recognition at the Florida Fire Chief’s Conference in Marco Island.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.