Food for thought,

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Oh, for Pete's sake. This is inflammatory. For one thing, dogs do not froth unless they're rabid. You're exaggerating. For another, you can come up with anecdotes to prove any point, whether it be dogs or humans. That waitress/water incident has been around the block many times. These incidents are not the norm.
CFrance you are absolutely correct that these incidents are not the norm, but they are incidents. To flip off the waitress/water incident as old and tiresome news does little for the debate. The original blog was "food for thought" which I took for meaningful discussion. Too many of us have dug our heels in and will not consider the others concerns. These concerns are real.

I previously posted on another thread that I am a dog owner and would like to take her to the patio. But I for one would not want to have all patios dog friendly as some may suggest. I suppose there are those that feel all restaurants should be dog friendly and those who feel there should not be any. I do feel that if certain (strict) rules and regulations are adhered to perhaps we can have both in TV. I am truly trying to see both sides.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

The solution to all this is to have restaurants for dogs. If they are well behaved, their owners would be allowed, but only on the patio outside. Dogs deserve the same rights as humans. Treating animals differently from us is just plain wrong. Arf! Arf! Arf!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechie View Post
CFrance you are absolutely correct that these incidents are not the norm, but they are incidents. To flip off the waitress/water incident as old and tiresome news does little for the debate. The original blog was "food for thought" which I took for meaningful discussion. Too many of us have dug our heels in and will not consider the others concerns. These concerns are real.

I previously posted on another thread that I am a dog owner and would like to take her to the patio. But I for one would not want to have all patios dog friendly as some may suggest. I suppose there are those that feel all restaurants should be dog friendly and those who feel there should not be any. I do feel that if certain (strict) rules and regulations are adhered to perhaps we can have both in TV. I am truly trying to see both sides.
I understand what you're saying, but the incidents that are reported over and over are usually used by the dog bashers who wish to inflame. As is the use of the word "froth." And to say these dogs "almost got into a fight" is also inflammatory, because in fact, they were handled and didn't get into a fight. Somebody has to "fight back" against these kinds of statements and stick up for the responsible dog owners, who are in the majority.

We have a dog too, and have taken him to restaurants where it is permitted, both here and abroad. In the end, since he is a big dog, we feel it more convenient for both us and him to leave him at home. But that is the only reason. He has, moreover, never been snarled at by another dog wishing to do him harm, either inside or outside a restaurant, nor has he been snarled or frothed at while out and about. That's what I'm railing against--not that someone had an opposite opinion, but the way in which it was stated.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 AM

Right on....
Old 04-14-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but the incidents that are reported over and over are usually used by the dog bashers who wish to inflame. As is the use of the word "froth." And to say these dogs "almost got into a fight" is also inflammatory, because in fact, they were handled and didn't get into a fight. Somebody has to "fight back" against these kinds of statements and stick up for the responsible dog owners, who are in the majority.

We have a dog too, and have taken him to restaurants where it is permitted, both here and abroad. In the end, since he is a big dog, we feel it more convenient for both us and him to leave him at home. But that is the only reason. He has, moreover, never been snarled at by another dog wishing to do him harm, either inside or outside a restaurant, nor has he been snarled or frothed at while out and about. That's what I'm railing against--not that someone had an opposite opinion, but the way in which it was stated.
Sounds reasonable to me CFrance.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas
Default Good discourse

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
If restaurants were to cater to every allergy and sensitivity, there would be few foods to eat -- peanut allergies, shellfish allergies, strawberries and so on and so forth. If restaurants were to ban people who cause allergies, I'd guess that 95% of Villagers would not be allowed to eat in restaurants since the vast majority are well-scented. And let's not forget the smell of tobacco on clothing.

I am very sensitive to scents. A strong perfume or aftershave can guarantee that I will have a migraine. A light scent is at the very least a mild headache. There are many of us with this sensitivity.

I love dogs. Give me a choice between eating on a patio with a dog or inside with the screaming toddler, the dog will win every time. Heck, the dog would probably win without the toddler (outdoors does dissipate scents to a degree). I don't see what the big brouhaha is about dogs on patios. Never have, never will.

I have never seen dog urinate while the owners ate. I have seen dogs jump up when someone comes over to pet them but never just randomly jump on someone walking by. I have never seen a dog be ill-mannered in a restaurant. They seem to know the rules far better than their human counterparts.

Quite simply, if you don't want to sit by a dog, don't. Ask to be moved. That's what I do when someone is seated by me wearing a very strong scent. If I can't be accommodated, I find a restaurant that will accommodate me. Surely those that don't want to eat near a dog can do the same.
Redwitch has a calm and relevant response as usual. It doesn't have to be "and/or". We have many restaurants around the squares. Just as the people who wish to bring a pet can be accommodated, so can those who do not care to be around a pet.
Enjoy reading the discussion and I like everyones opinion. Keep in mind, everyone is entitled to share how they feel - I don't believe there is a right or wrong opinion. Its educational to hear opinions on both sides.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 04-14-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
I have a dog & love her to death but would never think of bringing her to a restaurant!! Most the dogs you see in The Villages that are being treated like they'r human beings & not animals are little dogs. What if us big dog owners started bringing our dogs to these places? Could you imagine a great dane , a german shepherd , a rottweiler all outside a restaurant? No one but the owners & their dogs would be there! Please folks have some regard for the folks that don't like dogs or are allergic. Common sense says if you're going out to eat leave fido home!!
We saw a 200 lb Mastif at Sonny's Sumter Landing a couple times now. The dog just laid under the table and never moved. So, your point on large dogs doesn't appear to be a problem.

If you have a bad behaving dog, you probably shouldn't bring it to a restaurant patio. For those that have well behaved dogs, they should be able to stay with their owners where they are much happier than being left alone.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Sage

Quote:

Excuse me, but I think the "harmlessness" of unknown dogs with unknown predictability of behavior/safety in noisy crowds of people with other unknown dogs is "exaggerated", too!

And as for using the word "frothing", I have had dogs my entire life and honest people would admit that there is a certain, different type of growl a dog makes that is far more threatening and indicating the urge to bite and attack, than the low growling a dog does when for example he's got a little varmint sniffed out with his nose at the bottom of a panel fence or at a tiny gopher hole.

"Frothing" to me indicates the type of growl that has teeth bared and the saliva is heard sucking back with each breath and growl.

And instead of "almost got into a fight" at the square, I should have said "were seconds away from a fight" with the owners trying to pull them father apart but were having a hard time getting them far ENOUGH apart because of the crowd".

I saw this about 3 weeks ago (again) and marveled that people would bring their dogs into the spring break and Easter break crowds at the squares that we have here for the last 3-4 weeks and with 2 weeks to come.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Platinum member

Here's MY bottom line...

If dogs are allowed at a restaurant and I choose to bring them THEY ARE GOING. As far as I know there are only several restaurants that allow this, so get over it.

I know it's covered on another thread (MANY TIMES), but if I choose to leave them home alone while I'm out and they bark-TOO BAD, get over it.

You all need to start worrying about yourselves and stop trying to control other people.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Dog Drama Owners

Service dogs the exception I find it interesting that the same people who would be offended by crying kids, people smoking at the next table, people with perfume that arrives before they do would all be offended but because they can't bear to leave their pooch at home they take it upon themselves to bring them to a restaurant to the town square so the rest of us will have to suffer. Or in other words no one shuts my dog out, its family.

ilovetv's story was compelling and opens up some very interesting questions

Again this conversation has convinced me that an additional question to be asked bfore going to a restaurant is "What is your dog policy"
Old 04-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Platinum member

You know what I saw the other day at Publix? A grandfather walking with a child, the child was going on and on with mindless drivel. Finally Grandpa says "OH shut up already". Made my day.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
You know what I saw the other day at Publix? A grandfather walking with a child, the child was going on and on with mindless drivel. Finally Grandpa says "OH shut up already". Made my day.
Patty, I'm so glad you are back on TOTV. I missed your humor.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
Oh you are going to get NAILED for that one Patty! You sure do have guts lady. But, I like your style. I think you may be my long lost sister.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Oh you are going to get NAILED for that one Patty! You sure do have guts lady. But, I like your style. I think you may be my long lost sister.
Yeah, my dog was sitting in the shopping cart with a big smile on her face.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Sage

I like and missed Patty's humor too. Disagreeing about something while keeping a sense of humor is what reasonable people do.

Accusing other dog lovers (like me) of being "dog bashers", "dog haters" and "inflammatory" for presenting factual examples that affect a business's ability to stay operational and solvent is the opposite.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.