Former County Commissioner A.J. Munchak is headed from federal prison to The VIllages

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Former County Commissioner A.J. Munchak is headed from federal prison to The VIllages

Former PA County Commissioner Munchak scheduled for early release from prison

Former Lackawanna County Commissioner A.J. Munchak is headed from federal prison to “Florida’s friendliest town.”

The 70-year-old is on track for early release from the federal prison camp in Pensacola, Florida, and plans to live at the Villages, which bills itself as a community “where everything you could possibly want, need or dream of doing in your retirement years is just a golf-cart ride away.”

A jury convicted the Republican in June 2011, on federal corruption charges that he and former Commissioner Robert Cordaro demanded money from companies that wanted to do business with Lackawanna County in what prosecutors called a kickback and extortion scheme.

Munchak, currently inmate No. 68385-067, was sentenced to seven years in prison; Cordaro was sentenced to 11 years.

Munchak so far served time at the low-security Butner Federal Correctional Complex near Raleigh, North Carolina, and more recently the minimum-security facility in Pensacola to accommodate his request to be closer to his wife in Ocala, Florida.

Scranton attorney Christopher Powell, who represents Munchak and recently visited him, expects the former commissioner’s release from federal prison to come in November.

“He lost weight,” Powell said. “He looks great. He’s looking forward to his release.”

The federal Bureau of Prisons approved transferring Munchak to a halfway house, followed by home confinement, during which the U.S. probation office will monitor him.

The former Scranton resident’s release is scheduled for May 7, 2018. Upon release, he will live at the Villages and be supervised by the probation office.

“Inmates in the BOP’s custody may release directly from a correctional institution or instead from home confinement or a halfway house, also called a Residential Reentry Center,” explained agency spokesman Justin Long, who did not address Munchak specifically.

After imprisonment, Munchak will live in a community that in a Youtube video, Sales Manager Jennifer Parr described as: “A collection of quiet neighborhoods, each filled with its own amenities and activities and future friends like you.”

The experience includes champion and executive golf courses, country clubs, swimming and other recreation activities for a monthly fee of $145 based on a $250,000 home.

Listed real estate values range widely, from a $1.09 million four-bedroom home at the Village of Bridgeport at Lake Miona to a $119,900 two-bedroom manufactured home in the Village of Orange Blossom Gardens. It’s not clear which community he will live.

Contact the writer: kwind@timesshamrock.com; 570-348-9100, x5181; @kwindTT on Twitter
Old 04-22-2017, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=784caroline;1389568]Former PA County Commissioner Munchak scheduled for early release from prison

Former Lackawanna County Commissioner A.J. Munchak is headed from federal prison to “Florida’s friendliest town.”

WOW!

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-22-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

No big deal. This is just a guy you know about, what about the ones you don't know about.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:47 AM
Veteran member

At least he's not a 35-50 year old drunk or doper living off mommy or daddy in their Villages home!
Old 04-22-2017, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

I have no problem whatsoever with his moving here. He did his time and he is entitled to a fresh start in life hopefully having learned from his experience. He presents no risk to the community.

A bio when he was running for office in Pennsylvania is here
Our Campaigns - Candidate - A.J. Munchak

Seems like he was active in multiple service organizations and other than that bribery and tax fraud thing, was a net positive for his county.

He is a good example of my signature below
Old 04-22-2017, 10:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
...He is a good example of my signature below
The only problem I have with government is too much of it.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Sage

I think that a person's morals and values are pretty much set by the age of five.

That is my opinion and everyone and everything I have ever met or read or observed has supported that.

If you will, you always will. Break the law, steal, kill, etc.

There is much to be offered by a strong home and nun's hitting you on the knuckles.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Platinum member

This person has paid his debt. He is a non-violent offender who was in minimum security facilities. Let him live out his years in peace.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
At least he's not a 35-50 year old drunk or doper living off mommy or daddy in their Villages home!
Let's hope he comes on here and posts, we should give him a warm welcome.

Much better having 100 of him than one non working adult child living off mommy.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
This person has paid his debt. He is a non-violent offender who was in minimum security facilities. Let him live out his years in peace.
The Sheriff's Office may keep some kind of track of him or at least Seniors Against Crime.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by affald View Post
Let's hope he comes on here and posts, we should give him a warm welcome.

Much better having 100 of him than one non working adult child living off mommy.
What if he is a cyber bully, now posting on political from prison?
Old 04-24-2017, 03:00 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What if he is a cyber bully, now posting on political from prison?
Unless things have changed from when I volunteered and taught at a Federal camp, no internet allowed.

He's done his time. Parole is hard. Few are successful. Get a ticket, go farther than your ankle bracelet, don't pay back any fines and penalties and whatever other conditions are thrown at you and you're back in prison. I wish him luck and hope he has a good rest of life.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-24-2017, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Unless things have changed from when I volunteered and taught at a Federal camp, no internet allowed.

He's done his time. Parole is hard. Few are successful. Get a ticket, go farther than your ankle bracelet, don't pay back any fines and penalties and whatever other conditions are thrown at you and you're back in prison. I wish him luck and hope he has a good rest of life.
Not allowed at Coleman. Coleman II U.S. Penitentiary

Coleman Low Federal Correctional Institution
Old 04-24-2017, 04:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more, about the part he paid his debt. White collar crime is distroying this country. I personally would let out all non-violent drug offenders to make room for white collar criminals in regular prison.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
My exact thoughts......

Tags
munchak, federal, release, prison, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.