Foul mouthed cyclist

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Gold member
Red face Foul mouthed cyclist

Yesterday, Hubby and I were driving home south on Morse about 3/4 mile from the gate/exit at 466 prior to Sumter bridge. We enjoy the view across the lake. Traffic was heavy in both car and cart lanes, and moving at a steady pace. In our right cart lane a cyclist enthusiast in full high tech cycling gear simultaneously thrust out his left arm and shot out in front of our car while overtaking a slower moving cart. To say he scared the 💩 out of us, would be an understatement. I screamed and braced for impact. Only my husband's quick reflexes prevented yet another car/bike accident, or worse. My husbands many years of training and driving a police vehicle saved the day. The cyclist wobbled all over the road, having waved his left arm so vigorously he lost control of his bike. My husband yelled in alarm to the cyclist "stay in the cart lane" to which the cyclist yelled "F@CK YOU" while indicating his IQ. It was a very ugly incident, and sadly not so unusual any more . The cyclist hung back (embarrassed, I hope)and eventually took the cart/tunnel under 466. Ugliness and fright caused by one person's lack of patience on a busy road. I could add for good measure the often seen "pack" of cyclist blowing through all the traffic signals at Moyer Loop and Morse, but then I will be repeating a long running thread. No doubt I will also be attacked for daring to call out an ill mannered, but luckily not injured, cyclist.

Last edited by Boudicca; 02-23-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:41 PM
Sage

So you are saying the cyclist had a mouth like a chicken or turkey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
Yesterday, Hubby and I were driving home south on Morse about 3/4 mile from the gate/exit at 466 prior to Sumter bridge. We enjoy the view across the lake. Traffic was heavy in both car and cart lanes, and moving at a steady pace. In our right cart lane a cyclist enthusiast in full high tech cycling gear simultaneously thrust out his left arm and shot out in front of our car while overtaking a slower moving cart. To say he scared the 💩 out of us, would be an understatement. I screamed and braced for impact. Only my husband's quick reflexes prevented yet another car/bike accident, or worse. My husbands many years of training and driving a police vehicle saved the day. The cyclist wobbled all over the road, having waved his left arm so vigorously he lost control of his bike. My husband yelled in alarm to the cyclist "stay in the cart lane" to which the cyclist yelled "F@CK YOU" while indicating his IQ. It was a very ugly incident, and sadly not so unusual any more . The cyclist hung back (embarrassed, I hope)and eventually took the cart/tunnel under 466. Ugliness and fright caused by one person's lack of patience on a busy road. I could add for good measure the often seen "pack" of cyclist blowing through all the traffic signals at Moyer Loop and Morse, but then I will be repeating a long running thread. No doubt I will also be attacked for daring to call out an ill mannered, but luckily not injured, cyclist.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:43 PM
Sage

It hooray for me- look at these cyclists-- the most self centered in the Villages--I know I'm about to get trashed but they really push the envelope , especially in a senior citizen community and a community with lots of people trying to learn the lay of the land
Old 02-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
It hooray for me- look at these cyclists-- the most self centered in the Villages--I know I'm about to get trashed but they really push the envelope , especially in a senior citizen community and a community with lots of people trying to learn the lay of the land
The sad reality is that you can say "hooray for me- look at these car drivers, delivery truck drivers, golf cart drivers, etc". Bad driving isn't only isolated to just people trying to stay fit.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:35 PM

What exactly is the rule regarding riding a bike in The Villages? Are they required to stay on the multi-modal paths or can they get on the main roads? I sometimes see large groups of cyclists on Buena Vista or some other similar road, so are there exceptions for that size a group that doesn't apply to individual cyclists?
Old 02-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Gold member

It would not have been a problem for the cyclist to have merged into the car/all vehicle lane had he done so properly. Suddenly veering in front of large moving cars, while simultaneously waiving the intent to move left, hardly constitutes safe cycling. But then again, he clearly didn't care. His loud exclamation of "F@CK YOU" was a clear indication of his apparent "superiority" not to mention an impressive command of the English language
Old 02-23-2017, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Shrandell is the ultimate lady, smart woman, kind person and reasonable soul. Her husband is likewise a genuine tried and true good person, a retired police officer with all the wisdom that implies (to me anyhow). If she says this guy is at fault. Then he was.

Sorry this happened and glad no one was physically hurt.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
It would not have been a problem for the cyclist to have merged into the car/all vehicle lane had he done so properly. Suddenly veering in front of large moving cars, while simultaneously waiving the intent to move left, hardly constitutes safe cycling. But then again, he clearly didn't care. His loud exclamation of "F@CK YOU" was a clear indication of his apparent "superiority" not to mention an impressive command of the English language
Being as he was fowl mouthed, maybe he was really saying...flock you?

Old 02-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I'm an avid cyclist is the Villages and agree with you 100%. If your description is accurate my fellow bicycle rider owes your husband an apology for pulling out in front of him and giving you the finger. There are very few of us who ride bikes support that kind of dangerous behavior and attitude. Thank you for posting.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Gold member

Thanks Gracie. It was a very frightening experience, not only a near accident, but the crude response toward us by the cyclist.
BTW I attempted to correct the thread spelling error, but no joy.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:42 PM
Platinum member

What always strikes me is that cyclists expect cars to give them three feet of clearance (it's the law), but they don't seem to feel the need to give the cars the same buffer.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
BTW I attempted to correct the thread spelling error, but no joy.
No problem on the misspelling (as we all do it)...just teasing a little.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Googling the term "F@CK YOU" shows 68 million results, whereas "KISS MY ASS" or "WAY TO GO MEATHEAD" shows 3 and 5 million results respectively. The former seems quite popular.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon82 View Post
What exactly is the rule regarding riding a bike in The Villages? Are they required to stay on the multi-modal paths or can they get on the main roads? I sometimes see large groups of cyclists on Buena Vista or some other similar road, so are there exceptions for that size a group that doesn't apply to individual cyclists?

Nope. They just act that way. Think of a large group of cyclists acting like they are funeral procession.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-23-2017, 08:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Nope. They just act that way. Think of a large group of cyclists acting like they are funeral procession.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
That made me laugh...last week I was driving down Morse south of 466A and no sooner got around a pack of bicycle riders only to come upon a funeral procession where the sheriff was blocking each rotary as they passed and there was no way around them!
Closed Thread

Tags
cyclist, cart, husbands, traffic, car

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.