Free Course in eBay Selling

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2017, 03:38 PM
Default Free Course in eBay Selling

I was able to successfully get a few things out of my garage and attic by selling them on eBay recently. I guess that I'm sort of an amateur since only half the items that I listed actually sold. Now I discover that there is a free course on eBay selling coming up on Monday, April 24, at the Belvedere Library. Wish that I'd know about it beforehand.eBay Selling, Shipping, Email Marketing, w/Antique, Collectibles & Art Identific
Old 04-17-2017, 06:14 PM
Sage

Thanks for the tip! We sold one expensive item successfully on E-Bay many years ago and have some other things now to sell. Was just shrinking from the thought of having to do the learning process all over again.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the course information! Registered. I used to buy and sell (mostly buying) on eBay years ago. Now have some items I'd like to sell, so a refresher course will be perfect.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

The help section on Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay has many "how to" topics.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

When my father passed away in 2004 he collected knives and fountain pens. To get a collector type price, eBay was the place. Over about 6 months I was able to liquidate everything. I found on average the stated book value was about double what I would get for the item. If a knife had a value of $150, I could expect to get about $75 to $100. I sometimes used an auction and would add a 'buy now price', or just use a 'buy now' price if I had a good idea of what an item would bring. Good photos is a requirement of selling, otherwise forget trying.

In 2009 thru 2011 I bought and sold a lot of golf clubs, but after moving to TV in 2011 I quit selling all together but have continued to buy items up to now. Recently I had to sell a couple of expensive items that I bought by mistake. First I found it odd that there was no listing fee, even photos were free to add. However, when the items sold, the sellling fee was 10%, far more than I remember. The items sold quickly at about 80% of the price I had paid. It worked out for me. Don't be intimidated by eBay, it's very easy to set up a page and once you've done it you use that as a template.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:26 AM

just go to any garage sale - 50% ebayers
Old 04-20-2017, 02:08 AM
Veteran member
Talking Ebay is Easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
When my father passed away in 2004 he collected knives and fountain pens. To get a collector type price, eBay was the place. Over about 6 months I was able to liquidate everything. I found on average the stated book value was about double what I would get for the item. If a knife had a value of $150, I could expect to get about $75 to $100. I sometimes used an auction and would add a 'buy now price', or just use a 'buy now' price if I had a good idea of what an item would bring. Good photos is a requirement of selling, otherwise forget trying.

In 2009 thru 2011 I bought and sold a lot of golf clubs, but after moving to TV in 2011 I quit selling all together but have continued to buy items up to now. Recently I had to sell a couple of expensive items that I bought by mistake. First I found it odd that there was no listing fee, even photos were free to add. However, when the items sold, the sellling fee was 10%, far more than I remember. The items sold quickly at about 80% of the price I had paid. It worked out for me. Don't be intimidated by eBay, it's very easy to set up a page and once you've done it you use that as a template.
You are correct, John . . . No one should be intimidated by the eBay process.
It's really quite easy.
I've been on eBay for almost 20 years and have seen their process and fees change as the years have passed.

The main key for eBay is to do your homework regarding your item.
Price your item fairly, competitively or lower if you want a quick sale.
Post good pictures. When possible, include shipping in the price.
Tell the truth about condition. Open a PayPal account for payment.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:01 PM

Went to the eBay selling presentation yesterday. The woman that opened the presentation has sold for years on eBay. She went over all of the basic information for opening eBay account, posting listings, and PayPal info, lasting maybe a half hour. She then introduced a man from Atlanta who proceeded to use the rest of the hour and a half talking about his business that you can use to check values of items, using trademarks, etc. Of course, there's a monthly fee to use his site. Just speaking with the attendees sitting around me, all of us thought we would have liked maybe five minutes of him and more of the original presenter. Personally, I would not go to another one of their classes.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy48 View Post
Went to the eBay selling presentation yesterday. The woman that opened the presentation has sold for years on eBay. She went over all of the basic information for opening eBay account, posting listings, and PayPal info, lasting maybe a half hour. She then introduced a man from Atlanta who proceeded to use the rest of the hour and a half talking about his business that you can use to check values of items, using trademarks, etc. Of course, there's a monthly fee to use his site. Just speaking with the attendees sitting around me, all of us thought we would have liked maybe five minutes of him and more of the original presenter. Personally, I would not go to another one of their classes.
Just as easy to check values using the EBay search of sold listings.....and its free.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy48 View Post
When I heard about this eBay "class," I had the feeling there was something strange about it.
Well -- no big surprise here. Too bad it wasn't 100% legitimate.
Why does there always have to be a catch?

Tags
selling, ebay, free, discover, listed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.