Programmable thermostats

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ to Villages (Pennecamp) in December 2010.
Default Programmable thermostats

We are new residents in Pennecamp (1 month) and are wondering if anyone has taken out the standard thermostat and replaced it with a multi day programmable one? We have used these in the past with great success, but of course in areas where there were 4 distinct seasons. Appreciate any feedback, especially in the area of price vs. return. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Gold member
Default surprised it didn't come with one

Our Sabal Chase CYV came with one when new. They are not that expensive if you are a DIYer, or even to have it installed. You might want to have the humidistadt installed at the same time. There are thermostats that do both (automatic settings and humidistadt).

And yes, I would recommend one - most have an automatic setting that will go from heat to A/C, which is especially nice if you leave for extended periods. The weather here can change dramatically.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 AM

I changed ours out to a wireless programmable thermostat - companies that make them are Bryant, Venstar and several others - just Google "wireless thermostat". The wall unit is replaced by a wireless receiver unit which you can put on the garage wall by the furnace if you wish. You can put the theremostat wherever you are in the house and it will adjust the temperature to that location.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyjohn View Post
We are new residents in Pennecamp (1 month) and are wondering if anyone has taken out the standard thermostat and replaced it with a multi day programmable one? We have used these in the past with great success, but of course in areas where there were 4 distinct seasons. Appreciate any feedback, especially in the area of price vs. return. Thanks.
Yes, we replaced ours with a honeywell visionPRO IAQ programable and had Munn's heating/AC install it. Much less then sunshine who installed our ac/heating unit. Price is $425 but well worth it and less the Sunshine. Has vacation mode which we just push hold twice and leave for 3 months and system monitors humity to make sure it doesn't go above 62% (when mold grows) but heat can go to 95 degrees. Having lived in Florida for 30 years, we know how important it is to monitor the humity not the heat to control mold. Our average electric bill during the summer when gone was $20.00. Great investment and saves on elect costs. This is a all in one unit with dehumidistat so don't have to worry about having to set 2 units. Can go on-line to look at the honeywell visionpro IAQ...just time in Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ. We moved in St Charles 21 Dec 2009 and have used the unit for about a year. Will Bush 850-475-9235. PS. Easy to operate.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:24 AM

We had one in Colorado that we could program with several different times during the day: heat kicked on to 70 when we got up at 0530, back down to 65 at 0630 when we left for work, back up to 70 at 4:30 before we returned and back down to 65 at 10pm when we went to bed. On the weekends, it had another program. I would like to find one that I could do something similar with here, especially during the winter when the heat could go down during the night. Also, for folks that are here full time, is it necessary to have a humidistat? What temp settings do you use? Thanks!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapple View Post
We had one in Colorado that we could program with several different times during the day: heat kicked on to 70 when we got up at 0530, back down to 65 at 0630 when we left for work, back up to 70 at 4:30 before we returned and back down to 65 at 10pm when we went to bed. On the weekends, it had another program. I would like to find one that I could do something similar with here, especially during the winter when the heat could go down during the night. Also, for folks that are here full time, is it necessary to have a humidistat? What temp settings do you use? Thanks!
There are some very inexpensive ones (check HomeDepot or Lowe's) that do all that. Because we don't have the same set schedule everyday (being retired) and because in Florida there are many times in fall, winter and spring where we don't need either heat or a/c, or maybe we want some heat at night but it warms up significantly during the day, we keep ours set at 62 at night and 68 during the day (heat) during colder weeks.

When it's in the low 70s or so during the day for awhile, we just turn it off, doesn't seem to get below 62 at night (I like it cool at night), and during the day just control with opening/closing window blinds and the lanai door and/or storm/screen door.

We have gas heat, water heater, dryer, range. TECO (gas) bill just received (for 33 days up to 1/3/11) was 84.21 - and we were comfortable.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Eternal Member

I installed one when I first moved here. But since we are always here, there is no difference between the three different settings. We just turn it off when we do not need it, or punch the buttons to make it warmer or colder when it is needed.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Search the forms for comments on Humastats. You will probably want one of these if you are going to be away for a few months each year.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I installed one when I first moved here. But since we are always here, there is no difference between the three different settings. We just turn it off when we do not need it, or punch the buttons to make it warmer or colder when it is needed.
My thoughts exactly. When we worked it made sense, but while we're here all day long it's not needed. If it's cooler than the A/C is set for don't bother turning it off since it won't come on anyway. Open up the windows, enjoy, and the air won't come on if it is cooler than set. Same for heat.
I am interested in the remote thermostat though. This time of the year we have the heat set for 66, but our bedroom gets much cooler. I'm going to look into this as I've never heard of one. Great suggestion.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

scrapple, remember every day in TV is Saturday...gn
Old 01-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Sage

I have to agree with the posters above who say you don't need it if you're here most of the time. When we're here, we just set it to whatever is comfortable. When we're not here, we set it to 83 deg. in the summer and 55 deg. or so in the winter. No problems ever with mold...and that's after living in Houston for 35 years and in south Florida for 6.

We inherited the programmable thermostat in our condo in So. FL. My husband never learned to set it.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
scrapple, remember every day in TV is Saturday...gn

After I sent that post I thought "I don't have to get up at 0500 anymore!!!" I can snuggle under the covers until the sun makes it too warm to stay there. Yep, every day is a Saturday!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:48 AM

We have use programable thermostats in our homes with gas heat and they work great. In Ohio we had a heat pump and it was recommended that programable thermostats not be used. Since the Heat pumps are now much more efficient is this still the case?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Gold member
Default question answered

was listening to 90.1 fm (NPR in Gainesville) today on the way home from the Yarn Lady store - heat pumps should not be adjusted (set back or forward) more than 2 degrees at a time as it costs more to adjust more than that.

That would explain why the newer construction in TV doesn't have them - they have electric heat pumps.

We use ours - when the heat is on for several days (like the last few) and when the a/c is on 24/7. I keep it cooler (both for heat and a/c) when I sleep. Use open windows as long as I can in spring and fall, but there comes a time when I can't sleep if it's too hot. So - in the winter, it's set for 68 for day and 62 for night. I aim for 74 during the day in warm weather and 70 at night. Can't always make it and adjust to what I can stand.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Gold member

should have said 78 during the day is the goal, sometimes have to lower it to 74 to stand it. But - I'm new to the warm months here - need time to adjust perhaps. Some people say they set it at 80 - not there yet.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.