Golf Cart Accident on BUena Vista Rec Trail

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2015, 05:55 PM
Sage

According to AAA
"Seniors are safe drivers compared to other age groups, since they often reduce risk of injury by wearing safety belts, observing speed limits, and not drinking and driving. However, they are more likely to be injured or killed in traffic crashes due to age-related vulnerabilities, such as more fragile bones."

Fact's and Research click here for more

This research is about cars not carts. But if you subtract not wearing seat belts, not speeding and not drinking. I wonder what the count would be. You can't do anything about the fragile bones or someone that veers into you. You can't do anything about a vehicle that is designed to go 12 mph and is more likely to flip at 20 mph. I asked that question today at golf and someone said the the 20 mph vehicles are built differently.

Last edited by tomwed; 01-27-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:39 PM
Sage

Bottom line ,golf carts are death traps--get a seat belt, it might help--NO SMALL CHILDREN IN THE FRONT SEATS OF A GOLF CART
Old 01-28-2015, 12:25 PM

Today's Villages News paper has a write up Page C-12
Old 01-28-2015, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
At golf today someone told me 17 deaths in 4 years due to golf cart accidents. Someone here gave a statistic too. I couldn't find it. Is that true?

I would like to read the reports and see if there are common denominators that can be corrected by changing the road condition.

A few tunnels have speed bumps and they make people slow down. I don't have a cart for now so I bike the paths. I stay mostly south and I know of only a couple of blind spots. A speed bump before a blind spot makes sense to me. I use the tunnel mirrors.

Just telling people to slow down is overly optimistic. Another guy in my group said that insurance will not cover any losses if your cart can go over 20 mph. Is that true?

Seat belts make sense. You would like to think that the person not wearing the seat belt made that decision and if they get hurt it wouldn't bother the driver in the other cart but I don't think most people are built that way.
Was at a presentation by the Sheriffs department and they said there were about 5 deaths in the last 4 years and they were all ejected from the carts. This was prior to the Morse Blvd death. For a supposedly intelligent group of people we still have many that don't use seat belts in carts and sadly, many don't use them in their cars.

Most, if not all accidents, are due to distraction and loss of focus while driving or just aggressive driving. Wonder what it will look like when a cart hits a speed bump at speed?

Our insurance agent explained that if you are in an accident and the police determine that you were going faster than 20 MPH the carrier can deny benefits. Insurance company's get funny when you ask them to pay while doing something illegal. On balance, I have also learned that your agent can tell you any thing but you really won't know the truth until the Insurance Company gets involved because you want them to pay you.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.