Golf Cart Insurance?

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Default Golf Cart Insurance?

While buying my homeowners policy from The Villages Insurance they asked me if I wanted to buy a policy for my golf cart. Do most people carry this policy, I never heard of it. What is the cost?
Old 08-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Sage

Biker,

I don't know the percentage of owners who carry golf cart insurance, but, certainly a number of them do. It covers liability, collision damage, theft. Premiums are anywhere from $50 to $100 per year. You might be able to bundle it with your homeowners or elect to have a separate policy for it. Bundling might save you a few $$ but any claim for golf cart issues could affect your future homeowner's premiums.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:50 AM

It is very economical (as 07 said) and just like an auto policy - covers you if you hit another cart or a person or if you are hit. I haven't seen any accidents but have heard on this forum there have been many -
Old 08-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Platinum member

I am insured through Allstate. They have a separate policy (specialty vehicle). I have been told not to have the policy bundled onto my home owners. The policy I have is just another vehicle policy, but cheaper. Good luck and drive safe.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Veteran member
Default golf car insurance

There's just too many idiots out there driving as if they own the paths. Accidents do happen. Insurance in this case is cheap. Been there.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:15 AM

My golf cart coverage is with Forermost and costs $68/yr. Bundling with you homeowners insurance is not recommended. If you have a minor claim with your golf cart it could result in significantly higher homeowners premiums.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:59 PM

I got my quote today from The Villages Insurance for my golf cart, 1 year $253.00. I feel this is alot of money for a part time resident. Can anyone tell me if this quote is average.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:17 PM

My insurance is with Foremost and for 2 carts (one a 2010 and one a 2005) is less than $100. a year. I went through Village Insurance Agency. We are fulltime residents with no tickets, no accidents.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker B View Post
I got my quote today from The Villages Insurance for my golf cart, 1 year $253.00. I feel this is alot of money for a part time resident. Can anyone tell me if this quote is average.
Sounds high to me but it depends on the coverages being quoted. We went with Progressive and added roadside service for both of our carts. That was around $225 for both. We have since added uninsured motorist coverage after being hit by a mini-van earlier this year. Luckily he had insurance but better safe than sorry.

Last edited by spk7951; 08-24-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker B View Post
This seems high unless your golf cart is made of gold. (Or perhaps it is a street rod?)

We have golf cart insurance with Allstate for our Columbia Par Car, and our homeowner's company recommended them. Allstate seems to specialize in golf cart insurance. I think most people pay $50 to $100 per year depending on how much their cart is worth.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Veteran member

I have a regular yamaha golf cart seats two people. I went to Villages Insurance and I have a nice policy for $60.00 per year:

$100/300 liability
$100 K accidednt
$5K medical
$250 deductible for collision loss

You should not bundle with your homeowners's insurance.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 08-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have my home insured through the villages insurance agency and I add on my golf cart for 50 bucks a year for pl-pd..........seems cheap to me and its all I need.........
Old 08-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Can you believe this, I just spoke with my insurance agent to question the price they quoted from Foremost and was told that my inexperience driving a golf cart was the reason for the $253.00!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Gold member

I would like to address this golf cart insurance issue directly because I think it may be misunderstood and in many cases may be leaving some of you in a vulnerable situation. I’m not a insurance agent, but I take insurance seriously because I just don’t want to be in a situation where I’ll potentially lose everything I’ve worked for over so many years to a shrewd lawyer in a liability case.

Here’s the deal as I understand it. Feel free to jump in and correct me if I’m wrong.

All of you carry home owners insurance. And on that policy is coverage called “Personal Liability”. In my case it’s actually $500,000 and costs a paltry $21/year. This means that if anyone is injured or dies on my property somehow because of my negligence, my insurance company will pay up to that amount to settle the claim. It’s only $21/year and a huge amount of coverage because these types of claims are actually few and far between. But most importantly, understand that the injury/death must occur within the insured property. If you somehow cause injury/death to someone outside your property, it’s not covered. You’re on your own!

That said, it seems to me that some of you seem to be more interested in making sure that your golf cart is insured for damages to it rather than the liability you may be faced with in an accident. With 35,000 residents buzzing around on carts weighing 1500 pounds without seatbelts and reckless grandparents with children behind the wheel and on their laps, someone’s going to get hurt real bad and someone else is going to have to pay, probably you.

So I would appreciate it if those of you who have reported here that you only pay $50 or so a year for golf cart coverage, to actually look at the policy and let us know how much liability coverage it would provide if you and your golf cart cause personal injury to others.

I am sincere about this request.

Ed
Old 08-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
I would like to address this golf cart insurance issue directly because I think it may be misunderstood and in many cases may be leaving some of you in a vulnerable situation. I’m not a insurance agent, but I take insurance seriously because I just don’t want to be in a situation where I’ll potentially lose everything I’ve worked for over so many years to a shrewd lawyer in a liability case.

Here’s the deal as I understand it. Feel free to jump in and correct me if I’m wrong.

All of you carry home owners insurance. And on that policy is coverage called “Personal Liability”. In my case it’s actually $500,000 and costs a paltry $21/year. This means that if anyone is injured or dies on my property somehow because of my negligence, my insurance company will pay up to that amount to settle the claim. It’s only $21/year and a huge amount of coverage because these types of claims are actually few and far between. But most importantly, understand that the injury/death must occur within the insured property. If you somehow cause injury/death to someone outside your property, it’s not covered. You’re on your own!

That said, it seems to me that some of you seem to be more interested in making sure that your golf cart is insured for damages to it rather than the liability you may be faced with in an accident. With 35,000 residents buzzing around on carts weighing 1500 pounds without seatbelts and reckless grandparents with children behind the wheel and on their laps, someone’s going to get hurt real bad and someone else is going to have to pay, probably you.

So I would appreciate it if those of you who have reported here that you only pay $50 or so a year for golf cart coverage, to actually look at the policy and let us know how much liability coverage it would provide if you and your golf cart cause personal injury to others.

I am sincere about this request.

Ed
Your HO policy won't pay for any loss caused by a motor vehicle. Golf carts are typically insured under the HO policy "while used for golfing purposes" only. So if you back out of your garage and run over your neighbor in your driveway while you are heading to Publix, the HO policy won't provide coverage, just as it woulnd't if you ran over the same person with your car on your property.

I have a policy with State Farm and the golf cart is the described insured vehicle on the policy. It contains bodily injury liability limits of $250,000 per person, $500,000 per occurence and $100,000 property damage liability limits. Those coverages only cost $15.12 per year.

Uninsured/underinsured coverage with limits matching the liability limits cost $36.12, $250 deductible physical damage on the 2006 Yamaha cart cost $50.22 and 5K in medical coverage costs another 14.10. Total premium for one year is $115.56.

The reason I have the 250/500K limits is that these limits are required in order to have a personal liability umbrella policy which provides $1,000,000 in liability coverage in excess of the liability coverage on my HO policy, auto policy and golf cart policy. The umbrella policy requires what's called minimum underlying limits to be maintained on all your underlying policies. With SF, it's the 250/500k amount.

If any of you have any substantial assets that need to be protected, it's best to have the agent sell you an umbrella liability policy and then insure all your vehicles, golf cart, and home for whatever the umbrella requires as underlying limits.

So no matter what company you are with, ask about a personal liability umbrella policy and insure yourself in accordance with the requirements if you feel you need that policy. And be sure to get adequate uninsured and underinsured coverage also. It protects you from uninsured drivers and the underinsured portion protects you from the people driving around with only the minimum $10,000 liability limits.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.