» Advertisements
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 02:16 PM

I have a regular yamaha golf cart seats two people. I went to Villages Insurance and I have a nice policy for $60.00 per year:

$100/300 liability
$100 K accidednt
$5K medical
$250 deductible for collision loss

You should not bundle with your homeowners's insurance.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC

Old 08-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Platinum member

I have my home insured through the villages insurance agency and I add on my golf cart for 50 bucks a year for pl-pd..........seems cheap to me and its all I need.........
Old 08-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Can you believe this, I just spoke with my insurance agent to question the price they quoted from Foremost and was told that my inexperience driving a golf cart was the reason for the $253.00!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Gold member

I would like to address this golf cart insurance issue directly because I think it may be misunderstood and in many cases may be leaving some of you in a vulnerable situation. Iím not a insurance agent, but I take insurance seriously because I just donít want to be in a situation where Iíll potentially lose everything Iíve worked for over so many years to a shrewd lawyer in a liability case.

Hereís the deal as I understand it. Feel free to jump in and correct me if Iím wrong.

All of you carry home owners insurance. And on that policy is coverage called ďPersonal LiabilityĒ. In my case itís actually $500,000 and costs a paltry $21/year. This means that if anyone is injured or dies on my property somehow because of my negligence, my insurance company will pay up to that amount to settle the claim. Itís only $21/year and a huge amount of coverage because these types of claims are actually few and far between. But most importantly, understand that the injury/death must occur within the insured property. If you somehow cause injury/death to someone outside your property, itís not covered. Youíre on your own!

That said, it seems to me that some of you seem to be more interested in making sure that your golf cart is insured for damages to it rather than the liability you may be faced with in an accident. With 35,000 residents buzzing around on carts weighing 1500 pounds without seatbelts and reckless grandparents with children behind the wheel and on their laps, someoneís going to get hurt real bad and someone else is going to have to pay, probably you.

So I would appreciate it if those of you who have reported here that you only pay $50 or so a year for golf cart coverage, to actually look at the policy and let us know how much liability coverage it would provide if you and your golf cart cause personal injury to others.

I am sincere about this request.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
I would like to address this golf cart insurance issue directly because I think it may be misunderstood and in many cases may be leaving some of you in a vulnerable situation. Iím not a insurance agent, but I take insurance seriously because I just donít want to be in a situation where Iíll potentially lose everything Iíve worked for over so many years to a shrewd lawyer in a liability case.

Hereís the deal as I understand it. Feel free to jump in and correct me if Iím wrong.

All of you carry home owners insurance. And on that policy is coverage called ďPersonal LiabilityĒ. In my case itís actually $500,000 and costs a paltry $21/year. This means that if anyone is injured or dies on my property somehow because of my negligence, my insurance company will pay up to that amount to settle the claim. Itís only $21/year and a huge amount of coverage because these types of claims are actually few and far between. But most importantly, understand that the injury/death must occur within the insured property. If you somehow cause injury/death to someone outside your property, itís not covered. Youíre on your own!

That said, it seems to me that some of you seem to be more interested in making sure that your golf cart is insured for damages to it rather than the liability you may be faced with in an accident. With 35,000 residents buzzing around on carts weighing 1500 pounds without seatbelts and reckless grandparents with children behind the wheel and on their laps, someoneís going to get hurt real bad and someone else is going to have to pay, probably you.

So I would appreciate it if those of you who have reported here that you only pay $50 or so a year for golf cart coverage, to actually look at the policy and let us know how much liability coverage it would provide if you and your golf cart cause personal injury to others.

I am sincere about this request.

Ed
Your HO policy won't pay for any loss caused by a motor vehicle. Golf carts are typically insured under the HO policy "while used for golfing purposes" only. So if you back out of your garage and run over your neighbor in your driveway while you are heading to Publix, the HO policy won't provide coverage, just as it woulnd't if you ran over the same person with your car on your property.

I have a policy with State Farm and the golf cart is the described insured vehicle on the policy. It contains bodily injury liability limits of $250,000 per person, $500,000 per occurence and $100,000 property damage liability limits. Those coverages only cost $15.12 per year.

Uninsured/underinsured coverage with limits matching the liability limits cost $36.12, $250 deductible physical damage on the 2006 Yamaha cart cost $50.22 and 5K in medical coverage costs another 14.10. Total premium for one year is $115.56.

The reason I have the 250/500K limits is that these limits are required in order to have a personal liability umbrella policy which provides $1,000,000 in liability coverage in excess of the liability coverage on my HO policy, auto policy and golf cart policy. The umbrella policy requires what's called minimum underlying limits to be maintained on all your underlying policies. With SF, it's the 250/500k amount.

If any of you have any substantial assets that need to be protected, it's best to have the agent sell you an umbrella liability policy and then insure all your vehicles, golf cart, and home for whatever the umbrella requires as underlying limits.

So no matter what company you are with, ask about a personal liability umbrella policy and insure yourself in accordance with the requirements if you feel you need that policy. And be sure to get adequate uninsured and underinsured coverage also. It protects you from uninsured drivers and the underinsured portion protects you from the people driving around with only the minimum $10,000 liability limits.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Sage

BikerB...

That would be hilarious if it wasn't so expensive. I recently switched from bundled Homeowners/Golf cart with Travelers to HO with ASI and golf cart with Foremost. My golf cart with Foremost is $68/year with $300K liability and other coverages mentioned by an earlier poster. I do remember them asking how long I had been driving a golf cart....since I did not play golf prior to life in TV, I said 3 years. I guess that makes a difference.

You might want to try Allstate instead. I think they write a good policy for something closer to $75/year and I don't believe GC experience comes into play.

You should not be paying $200+ for basic golf cart insurance...that is ridiculous.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:52 PM

My friend received a quote from Progressive insurance for $70 per year on his new Tomberlin LSV. He also got the $4200+ tax credit when he bought it.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Gold member

Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Got mine with USAA as we have everything with them. It was recommended, to cover the replacement and injury costs.

Army Guy
Old 08-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Army Guy..I also have everything with USAA but USAA wanted to rate my Golf Cart like a car and was going to charge me close to $300 for 6 months. I got it from Village INsurance for something like $60 per year.

But Again as we discussed before about home owners insurance, YOu are with USAA general insurance not USAA the primary company..even though you deal with USAA customer service and USAA claims agents. The ratings are different with a General Company such as ASI. Since I am eligible for USAA insurance directly they will not even quote or discuss a policy with me that would be underwritten by ASI or another general policy underwritter....and If I try and call ASI directly they have a Non-compete clause with USAA and will not quote me a price directly.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Gold member

Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

I agree, that is what I have never understood about insurance, nothing makes sense!

Army Guy