Golf cart insurance for rentals

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2014, 12:07 AM
Default Golf cart insurance for rentals

What type of insurance do you get for renting a golf cart? My insurance company only provides $1000 coverage for a cart and it has to be in a gated community. Is The Villages considered a gated community or would each community be considered it's own a gated community? I'm wondering if the coverage would be good while at Spanish Springs since it's not really gated? Or maybe it is? I was told by a golf cart rental place that if my credit card covered car rentals it might also cover golf cart rentals. Does anyone have any info on golf cart insurance?
Old 11-22-2014, 03:16 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

The villages is not a gated community. It is a community with gates. So, I doubt your insurance would cover you. I think you'd have to check with your credit card companies as to their possible coverage. Some homeowners policies cover golf cart rentals.

Theft of golf carts is pretty rare here, although not non-existent. Bigger issue is liability coverage. Sadly, insurance companies have pretty much removed coverage for rentors of golf carts. The rentees are also having difficulty finding coverage.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

When your insurance company is asking you if you live in a gated community, what they really want to know is if you will be driving on pubic or private roads.

In TV you are on public roads and we are NOT a gated community.

The home owner policies that cover golf carts, in many if not most cases, only do so when the golf cart is used on the golf course itself. You need to be very specific in asking the right questions of your agent and not assuning simply because I "think" I have coverage that in fact you have it. If or when a claim is made against the policy that is the only time you will reallly find out you are covered and, unless you do "due dillegence" before hand which you are now trying to do, ...it can be very costly.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:26 AM

Here's the info from my insurance company.

I added the home to my house policy as a rental. The premium was $8 a year. Because I will be living in The Villages my home owners policy will cover any gated community that falls under the same association. So I contacted The Villages Homeowners association and was told that all of The Villages are considered to be one area. My insurance agent consulted with the company and they think I'm covered anywhere in The Villages.

I'm not sure about the remarks about it not being a gated community. It's considered to be the largest over 55 gated community in the world.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:28 AM

My policy just has $1,000 coverage for the cart and $500,000 for liabilty which can also be used for medical for anyone we injure and $5000 medical for us.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

As soon as your company said they think you are covered, is the key word, as long as nothing happens they think you are covered. When something does happen they will stop thinking and give you answer. May not be to your advantage
Old 11-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow8IA View Post
Here's the info from my insurance company.

I added the home to my house policy as a rental. The premium was $8 a year. Because I will be living in The Villages my home owners policy will cover any gated community that falls under the same association. So I contacted The Villages Homeowners association and was told that all of The Villages are considered to be one area. My insurance agent consulted with the company and they think I'm covered anywhere in The Villages.

I'm not sure about the remarks about it not being a gated community. It's considered to be the largest over 55 gated community in the world.
Did your insurance company tell you this is a gated community or did you tell them it is a gated community? I agree that this is a community with gates and not a gated community...it has no security, does no checking of folks coming or going, doesn't record plate numbers, doesn't require a resident to approve access and never denies access to the communities. The gates are for traffic control and protect the carts crossing he roads to use the multi-modal pathways.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-27-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Did your insurance company tell you this is a gated community or did you tell them it is a gated community? I agree that this is a community with gates and not a gated community...it has no security, does no checking of folks coming or going, doesn't record plate numbers, doesn't require a resident to approve access and never denies access to the communities. The gates are for traffic control and protect the carts crossing he roads to use the multi-modal pathways.
When we visited The Villages we were told that if you don't have a resident id your picture and a picture of your license plate us taken at the gate. Is that not true?

This is off The Villages website:
Our residents say it’s like being a kid again: golf, recreation, shopping, dining, medical and professional services – everything you need to live life to the fullest – just a golf car ride away, in a beautifully designed and gated community.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
As soon as your company said they think you are covered, is the key word, as long as nothing happens they think you are covered. When something does happen they will stop thinking and give you answer. May not be to your advantage
In the long run it will be up to the adjuster but they have all of the info I gave them on my account. That's about all I can do at this point.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Veteran member

We used to have Allstate for our rental cart.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:17 AM

Many of our residents are under the impression/assumption that golf cart coverage under their homeowner's policy will cover them for claims presented outside of using the cart on the golf course. We have Allstate and We have been advised that this is NOT true. A separate policy is required for golf cart coverage when any claim or potential claim is made other than on the golf course. It was also made clear to us that our policy would not cover claims if our cart should be used as a rental.

Having said this, it is always wise to remember that anything verbally spoken to you by an agent that is not supported by the actual contractual document, leaves you and only you vulnerable. Many times we ask the wrong questions or don't provide the correct information. This can result in misunderstanding and assumptions when we get a response. My advice to you is to ask your specific question to the agent you intend to rent a cart from; and ask he/she to show you, in the rental contract, where it states the limit or extent of coverage for your particular concern.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.