Lake Sumter Landing Get vets back to work event

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Lake Sumter Landing Get vets back to work event

the event held yesterday with various exhibits and some vendors, cheerleaders, twirlers, etc was not allowed to use the square.....used to be able to but now some part of the sponsoring CONTRIBUTORS would have had to pay to use the square. Sorta defeats the purpose of the event when a good share of the procedes would be for the Vescos pockets!!!!!

And as a result of not being a function in the square there was no news coverage or advertising before hand hence low turn out. They had a sky diver heqad for the lake and half way down unfurled a huge American flag....very nice.

All performers and exhibits were limited to the wooden part of the area next to the lake where the radio station is located. Very constrained area.....not fit for performers like the cheerleaders and twirlers, etc.

As we go forward the some things that made TV special and provided venues for support will continue to disappear, i.e. relay for life, no parades, yesterdays FUND RAISER for veterans.

I personally think it is a tragedy that these kinds events were merely part of the developers marketing.

Shame on the Vesco's for tarnishing one of the bright spots of fund raising in TV.

I do understand the concept of needing to be a profitable enterprise (the Veso's new ownership). What is not understandable is the crass, abrupt cutting off of events that USED TO BE a aprt of TV "lifestyle".

Unfortunately there will be more of this as the developer exits many more aspects of the "lifestyle".

btk
Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

What's next the tree lighting? Don't make any money off that either.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Dancing Thyme

I agree, BTK and think it was disgraceful that this happened. I am becoming very unsatisfied with the suspension of many of the events that brought me to The Villages. Skip is right, what next??? No tree lighting event?? Soon we'll have to pay to see the entertainment at the squares???? These changes are not making me feel that this is where I want to live. Not at all what I expected. Shameful!!!!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
the event held yesterday with various exhibits and some vendors, cheerleaders, twirlers, etc was not allowed to use the square.....used to be able to but now some part of the sponsoring CONTRIBUTORS would have had to pay to use the square. Sorta defeats the purpose of the event when a good share of the procedes would be for the Vescos pockets!!!!!

And as a result of not being a function in the square there was no news coverage or advertising before hand hence low turn out. They had a sky diver heqad for the lake and half way down unfurled a huge American flag....very nice.

All performers and exhibits were limited to the wooden part of the area next to the lake where the radio station is located. Very constrained area.....not fit for performers like the cheerleaders and twirlers, etc.

As we go forward the some things that made TV special and provided venues for support will continue to disappear, i.e. relay for life, no parades, yesterdays FUND RAISER for veterans.

I personally think it is a tragedy that these kinds events were merely part of the developers marketing.

Shame on the Vesco's for tarnishing one of the bright spots of fund raising in TV.

I do understand the concept of needing to be a profitable enterprise (the Veso's new ownership). What is not understandable is the crass, abrupt cutting off of events that USED TO BE a aprt of TV "lifestyle".

Unfortunately there will be more of this as the developer exits many more aspects of the "lifestyle".

btk
Can you describe how the event was set up? Was it like market night and there were tents with rented space? Was this at Sumter landing? But instead of the twirlers being featured in the middle they were forced to perform on the sidewalks by the ice cream store? This sounds crazy.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts
Default send an email to Ms Vesco

Tell her what your feelings are and copy the POA & HOA & District Manager

Barbara Vesco
barbara.vesco@thevillages.com.

Elaine Dreidame , POA President
edreidame@hotmail.com

Jack Knapp, HOA President
napjack2002@yahoo.com

Janet Tutt, District Manager
janet.tutt@districtgov.org.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Platinum member

Dear btk,

I am unclear about this event and what it's for. A fundraiser to get Vets back to work? How do they help.... with clothing or cars or help making a resume?

I would be very interested to know exactly what the raised funds contribute to and who organized/sponsored this event... since you were there, do you know?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
What's next the tree lighting? Don't make any money off that either.
The tree lighting event will take place on November 29th - was listed on the monthly entertainment insert.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2catsmeow View Post
The tree lighting event will take place on November 29th - was listed on the monthly entertainment insert.
I know that I was making a statement about the NEXT thing to go.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2catsmeow View Post
The tree lighting event will take place on Novem

ber 29th - was listed on the monthly entertainment insert.
That's this year what about next.

Last edited by skip0358; 11-18-2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 11-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Before Being Critical, You Should Know What The Event Was For

For those of you who aren't aware of the purpose of the fund-raising event held last weekend, I think you should know before hurling criticisms.

The funds raised in the weekend event and others to be held in the future, will be used to move a specific number of veterans and their families to The Villages, providing them housing and household furnishings as needed. I'm not certain, but they could all be disabled vets. I believe the number, at least initially is eight vets and their families.

Once here, their education and training in golf course management will be funded by both donations as well as contributions from The Villages--that dastardly "developer" so many are critical of. The vets will be trained thru an extensive program of formal education as well as on-the-job training in various specialties on our golf courses. The cost of their tuition to colleges providing the training will be fully funded, as well.

Once their training is completed, the vets will either be hired to work on our golf courses or placed in jobs with other golf courses or country clubs. The plan is to rotate in more veterans, possibly increasing the number, as those whose training is completed go on to permanent civilian employment.

This program does what so many say is needed to re-integrate our veterans into civilian society. It couldn't happen without the generous contributions raised at fund raisers like that held at LSL last weekend. As importantly, a program such as this could not be successful without the cooperation and funding by the owner-operator of our golf courses. Our developer.

So before folks get their shorts in a knot over various issues...selfish issues, if you read many of the posts above...think about what's trying to be accomplished here. Think about who's doing it!

There are altogether too many people who talk about what should be done for our veterans and altogether too few who actually step up with both creative programs and deep pockets. Often those that do don't ask for credit or thanks--they just do it. We should be happy that they do things like this and grateful they are so important to our community.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages kahuna View Post
for those of you who aren't aware of the purpose of the fund-raising event held last weekend, i think you should know before hurling criticisms.

The funds raised in the weekend event and others to be held in the future, will be used to move a specific number of veterans and their families to the villages, providing them housing and household furnishings as needed. I'm not certain, but they could all be disabled vets. I believe the number, at least initially is eight vets and their families.

Once here, their education and training in golf course management will be funded by both donations as well as contributions from the villages--that dastardly "developer" so many are critical of. The vets will be trained thru an extensive program of formal education as well as on-the-job training in various specialties on our golf courses. The cost of their tuition to colleges providing the training will be fully funded, as well.

Once their training is completed, the vets will either be hired to work on our golf courses or placed in jobs with other golf courses or country clubs. The plan is to rotate in more veterans, possibly increasing the number, as those whose training is completed go on to permanent civilian employment......
thank you for this post!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Platinum member

Ditto! Thank You Kahuna.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Sage
The original complaint was about the group not being allowed to use the square for the event, but instead was confined to the boardwalk. If the developer is the main sponsor, why were they not allowed to use the square? Barbara Vesco does not own the squares.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Sage

But she owns the right to collect a booking fee for anything that happens on the squares.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
But she owns the right to collect a booking fee for anything that happens on the squares.
Not to steal this post . I think what happened is wrong they deff. should be allowed to use the square. here's something else that was stopped that I copied from another post on a different topic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was at the Cruise-In Saturday. I love that event every month. Seems there are different cars every time I go. I loved that Lincoln previously owned by the Ford family.

To my dismay, there was no cruise out. Talking with participants, I found that Barbara Vesco has even stopped that now.

What's next??

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.