Golf scoring

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Default Golf scoring

Does anyone know how the scoring works for executive leagues. I played today and 5 teams ended up at 26 How do they pick first second and third?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:16 PM
Sage

Do you mean Men's Day/Women's Day scrambles? If so, I don't know specifics, but I think they have a series of tie-breakers...hole scores, etc.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Veteran member

Whoever buys the most beers first!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Gold member

If I was on a four man team that shot 26 in a nine hole scramble on an executive course and tied for first, I would be ashamed to accept the prize.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:21 PM
Sage

Everybody starts on a different hole. One time I heard that the team that get's a birdie first, after starting wins the tie breaker. You start on 5, get a birdie on 6 and another group starts on 2 and gets a birdie on 5, you got the first birdie. You win the tie breaker.
Having said that, it's only hearsay, but is sounds fair.

I would also like to know hear how they do it for sure.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default What???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwscott View Post
Does anyone know how the scoring works for executive leagues. I played today and 5 teams ended up at 26 How do they pick first second and third?
You are supposed to keep score???? News to me.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
If I was on a four man team that shot 26 in a nine hole scramble on an executive course and tied for first, I would be ashamed to accept the prize.
Unless this were at night.....
Old 10-21-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
The guy is trying to have fun, why bust his chops instead of answering his question?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Default Golf Scoring

I was just trying to find out how scoring is figured on tie games. I am sorry I upset some people by scoring 26. This will be my last post on TOTV.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
I was just trying to find out how scoring is figured on tie games. I am sorry I upset some people by scoring 26. This will be my last post on TOTV.

Your choice of course, but you shouldn't judge ToTV (or any forum) by the negative remarks of the extremely small minority. They will always be there, but they are easily ignored. The vast majority have the attitude I think you're looking for...friendly and helpful.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flyer View Post
The guy is trying to have fun, why bust his chops instead of answering his question?
I agree with you. I hope he keeps posting.

I play that tournament almost every tuesday at Turtle Mound. As you know, teams are randomly formed, at least I think they are. I know the players have no input. I would say most golfers are bogie shooters. I think the most valuable player is the guy that can make long putts. He can sit in the cart for the rest of the shots.
This is how they do tiebreakers at Turtle Mound:
They total holes 4-9
if there is a tie again
They total holes 1-3
if there is a tie again
They total holes 7-9
if there is a tie again
that’s when they look at the first hole you birdied after starting

Sounds fair to me.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:16 AM

USGA RECOMMENDED CARD PLAYOFF PROCEDURE

If a play-off of any type is not feasible, matching score cards is recommended. The method of matching cards should be announced in advance and should also provide what will happen if this procedure does not produce a winner.

An acceptable method of matching the cards is to determine the winner on the basis of the best score for the last nine holes. If the tying players have the same score for the last nine, determine the winner on the basis of the last six holes, last three holes and finally the 18th hole. If this method is used in a competition with a multiple tee start, it is recommended that the "last nine holes, last six holes, etc." is considered to be holes 10-18, 13-18, etc.

For competitions where the handicap stroke table is not relevant, such as individual stroke play, if the last nine, last six, last three holes scenario is used, one-half, one-third, one-sixth, etc. of the handicaps should be deducted from the score for those holes. In terms of the use of fractions in such deductions, the Committee should act in accordance with the recommendations of the relevant handicapping authority.

In competitions where the handicap stroke table is relevant, such as four-ball stroke play and bogey, par and Stableford competitions, handicap strokes should be taken as they were assigned for the competition, using the players' respective stroke allocation table(s).
Old 10-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Don't let it bother you-there will always be someone!

The idea of men's day is to have fun!!!!

Everyone has their good days and bad days. (That's why golf is a 4 letter word!)
If it happens that 4 people who just started playing are teamed together then 26 is a good score.
As far as the $10 - $12 you might win - just go have fun!!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.