Response time for EMS

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Default Response time for EMS

Last Saturday (330pm) at Sweet Bay in Pinellas Park,
a shopper (male) was shopping and passed out and hit his head on the floor.
My husband rushed to his aid, as I went to the front of the store to ask someone to call 911. After about 10 minutes, a police officer arrived from Wildwood then another 10 minutes The Villages fire truck, after that the firemen called for EMS. Total time 30 minutes. If anyone knows this gentlemen, please post if he recovered and his condition. Should it take that long for a emergency team to arrive?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&Lsunfun View Post
Last Saturday (330pm) at Sweet Bay in Pinellas Park,
a shopper (male) was shopping and passed out and hit his head on the floor.
My husband rushed to his aid, as I went to the front of the store to ask someone to call 911. After about 10 minutes, a police officer arrived from Wildwood then another 10 minutes The Villages fire truck, after that the firemen called for EMS. Total time 30 minutes. If anyone knows this gentlemen, please post if he recovered and his condition. Should it take that long for a emergency team to arrive?
For some strange reason when a place is brand new, they have one heck of a time getting there. We had the same experience in our new village last year when someone passed out at a block party from the heat. They went sailing by on 466, we could see them but we were too new to be in the GPS.

Usually the response time is very fast. You have to be clear when you are calling; ie.... The NEW Sweetbay ON 466A...etc.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Platinum member

A couple weeks ago one of our tennis players at Tierra del Sol fell on his face. We immediately called 911 and it took nearly 15 minutes. Two EMS techs arrived and treated him and then called for an ambulance which took almost another 15 minutes. I was concerned with response time.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Sage
Default A

I do hope the person who fell is okay.

Who made the call for help? Who did they call? Judging by the number of ambulances that go past my yard each day, the delay in EMT arrival might be due to all ambulances engaged. When they take someone to the hospital, don't the EMTs stay until patient is in exam room?

Traffic sometimes plays a role in ambulance speed. See cars NOT moving out of the way. During the winter that can be even more of a problem.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:41 PM

We were on the trolly tour recently and they said average response time was 4 minutes. I guess as the area is getting larger the response time has changed.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:48 PM

EMS drivers are sitting around at The Villages ER...waiting for an hour or so to get their fare admitted. Perhaps this is why it is longer than the past 4 minutes.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Matzy

Depends on the situation and traffic, it might take time more than 4 minutes. I worked as a volunteer for several years as an EMSdriver and I know how difficult it could be. After a past transportation to a hospital or ER station we have to clean the car completely, doing disinfection, filling up all used materials including liquids, bottles, charging batteries for AES etc. then cleaning yourself and get ready to go. That all takes time, and, of course it was mentioned, new destinations, very often we have to go without using GPS.
That all just to understand delays which could be coming up.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Sage

Are you aware we have a sort of different rule here that makes the transporting emergency people have to stay with the person they brought until they are seen at the hospital by medical personnel. It really ties them up.

I am not sure how we can change that rule, but it would help these folks be more accessible to all of us Villagers and cut down on the response time especially when the population numbers peak in the upcoming months.

There will be many accidents during the season. PLEASE be careful.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-19-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Matzy

The EM people have to stay with the patient until a physician arrives and takes over not just the patient but also the responsibility. The physician also always wants to know what was the first response and what was happen (how they found the patient, etc.).
I am not sure that this rule can be changed at all.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213
Default Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbuckSammy View Post
EMS drivers are sitting around at The Villages ER...waiting for an hour or so to get their fare admitted. Perhaps this is why it is longer than the past 4 minutes.
Really StarbuckSammy?? What EMS truck do you ride on? Because I work in TVRH ER as an RN--been there since June fulltime nights with overtime shifts and not one single time that I have been working has a truck been waiting an hour or "hanging out". Most are too busy to do that--they dump and go to the next call- because that is what they do.

Busy season is coming and if more people would save EMS for emergencies and the ER for true emergencies we would decrease the wait time. I'm sorry but the "chest pain for two weeks, headache that has been there for 3 days, tooth pain, swollen leg that started last month"--see your PCP and if you are visiting--FIND AN URGENT CARE and if it is after hours and not a true emergency--then PLEASE wait until the am and see Urgent Care
Old 10-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213
Default Emt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post

Who made the call for help? Who did they call? Judging by the number of ambulances that go past my yard each day, the delay in EMT arrival might be due to all ambulances engaged. When they take someone to the hospital, don't the EMTs stay until patient is in exam room?

Traffic sometimes plays a role in ambulance speed. See cars NOT moving out of the way. During the winter that can be even more of a problem.
EMTs can report off to any nurse that can take a triage for a stable person and that person can be left on a hall stretcher and the EMS can leave. EMS is dispatched at the same time as Fire--except Fire can usually respond quicker--not many calls for fire trucks, but extreme numbers for EMS. They are busy most all day every day.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMooreRN View Post

Busy season is coming and if more people would save EMS for emergencies and the ER for true emergencies we would decrease the wait time. I'm sorry but the "chest pain for two weeks, headache that has been there for 3 days, tooth pain, swollen leg that started last month"--see your PCP and if you are visiting--FIND AN URGENT CARE and if it is after hours and not a true emergency--then PLEASE wait until the am and see Urgent Care
I agree.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-19-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:38 PM

A typical response time is 5 minutes, however, that can depend on a lot of things such as traffic, travel time to and from call/hospital, if the station is out on a working call, etc. Sometimes dispatch will have to send a unit from a different station if the one for that district is out of the station, another time delay. Also, these days personnel are cross trained, so the firefighters on the truck might just be medics as well, but you will have to wait for a transport unit. But in lots of localities now firefighters are at basic an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), and can get things going until the Medics get there. When it comes to emergencies, you have to hope for the best. Sometimes they are in the station just waiting for the next call and sometimes they are spread thin!
Old 10-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post

Pooh, I understand he was in the hospital for two days and was in rehab but is recovering. Someone ran over to the rec center at Tierra and the call was placed in just a couple minutes.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMooreRN View Post
Really StarbuckSammy?? What EMS truck do you ride on? Because I work in TVRH ER as an RN--been there since June fulltime nights with overtime shifts and not one single time that I have been working has a truck been waiting an hour or "hanging out". Most are too busy to do that--they dump and go to the next call- because that is what they do.

I don't think you want to be telling these people to self diagnois themselves. I don't think you will find an EMT/Paramedic, doctor or RN who will put themselves out on a limb like that. If a person can't get into an urgent care because it's closed for the night do you really want to accept that your wrong and the patient is in a dangerous situation? Yes, we all feel like the system is abused but negligence is something none of us want to face. By the way, the ER's here do get stacked up in the coming months and the EMS crews do have to wait long periods of time to hand off their patients.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.