The Gypsies are back in the Villages !

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2013, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohn View Post
There is a lot of difference between 'organized crime' and panhandling by the needy.
Not always.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohn View Post
There is a lot of difference between 'organized crime' and panhandling by the needy.
This thread is about organized gypsies, not the needy. These organized criminals (Gypsies) are not needy.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:31 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

are we talking about the rainbow people that trek here from up north...??? or just the ones that hang out on the corners with signs?
Rainbow Family Ocala Forest: Rainbow Family of aging hippies, teen wanderers chills out at annual Ocala National Forest encampment - Orlando Sentinel
Old 10-22-2013, 07:01 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbs455 View Post
are we talking about the rainbow people that trek here from up north...??? or just the ones that hang out on the corners with signs?
Babbs. it seems like anyone and everyone is being tarred with the same brush if they seem impoverished. If you're panhandling, you're likely a gypsy (um, no, you're likely poor -- panhandling is hard work). If you go door to door offering to trim palms (common here year-round, especially after they've gone to seed), you're likely a gypsy (again, probably not). If you go door to door offering roofing, driveway, diseased trees issues, you're likely a gypsy (very possibly -- that is very much their M.O.).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Babbs. it seems like anyone and everyone is being tarred with the same brush if they seem impoverished. If you're panhandling, you're likely a gypsy (um, no, you're likely poor -- panhandling is hard work). If you go door to door offering to trim palms (common here year-round, especially after they've gone to seed), you're likely a gypsy (again, probably not). If you go door to door offering roofing, driveway, diseased trees issues, you're likely a gypsy (very possibly -- that is very much their M.O.).

You are right of course Redwitch. There are gypsies, tramps and thieves but I haven't seen them here.

The initial post was saying that someone was spotted begging, and someone saw a person on campus begging.

I said I knew that there were bands of travelers years ago, and we were off to the races.

Be safe. Be a little skeptical. Give to the food pantry and contribute used items to Goodwill and St. Vincent de Paul or any good charity of your choice.

Imitate Buggy one who regularly volunteers to serve food to the hungry.

It is all good. All good.

I know for sure Redwitch isn't a witch. Well I am pretty sure. She sits WAY over on the end seat across the political aisle from me, but I still love her.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

Compassion, and charitable giving, are common among us. As far as who we give to, or do for, this is an individual decision. I've known people who give to darn near everyone with their hands out, assuming they must need stuff or they wouldn't ask. I've known others who are much more careful, but equally as generous once an honest need is established. There are indeed many questionable characters trying to take advantage of good folks trying to do the right thing in life. So to all those 'poverty snobs' who think their method of giving is the only right and legitimate method, please rethink, and don't assume others are either racially or culturally motivated.

Disclaimer: This is not directed as anyone specifically, as I know the folks on this site are a great and caring bunch, even those I don't agree with.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
This thread is about organized gypsies, not the needy. These organized criminals (Gypsies) are not needy.
You are right. Totally right.

By the looks of some of the families in their own homes (via links I've seen), their homes are quite opulent (fancy schmancy as my little grandson would say) and they dress to the nines....again, dripping in jewelry and luxurious clothing. They don't look poor at all. Quite ornate as a matter of fact. Not modestly or humbly attired. Probably all the jewelry they stole.

Some drive Cadillacs..........

Obviously, like with all ethnic groups, there are no doubt different "tribes".
For those who mentioned they look Hispanic.......they are swarthier complexion as they have Indian (not American Indian but Indian and Pakistani mixed with Romanian and Hungarian) in their native mix.

Hungary was invaded by Turks, etc. as were other countries....

For those who said they look like rednecks......then those probably are not gypsies. Unless they are in their Halloween disguise.

The blonde children are no doubt from northern Europe; law enforcement is looking into this...........as are some American parents such as the family of missing baby Lisa........she would be about the same age as that little Maria. Maria's D.N.A. did NOT match up with the two gypsy parents who are now in JAIL.

Now that would be intriguing; if they were stealing babies from the U.S.

Thinking ahead to those who will say, "What does that have to do with THE VILLAGES".........it just shows the lifestyle of gypsies, past and present.

It was interesting to note they have no word in their Rom language for possession. Such as "to own". Thus, I guess they feel "What's yours is mine and what's mine is yours". Or some such thing.

Last edited by senior citizen; 10-22-2013 at 08:46 AM. Reason: TYPO....changed to D.N.A. which is what I meant
Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac9 View Post
This afternoon, around 2pm, there was a woman outside the entrance to Southern Trace shopping center. She was holding a sign that said that she and her young son were forced to live in their car as she had lost her job. The child was sitting on the grass next to her. She definitely looked Roma. I went into the shopping center and called Community Watch who said that they had had several complaints about her and they were sending someone over. I didn't wait to see if they actually came, but this sounds similar to the story that a former poster said happened outside of Colony.
I was at the Publix Store in SS Saturday, a young boy was driving one of the electric baskets and He picked up a Halloween toy. He made a purchase and went outside to His Mother, who was panhandling with the "Living in Car" sign. I saw her stuff the change from the boy in Her bra.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAVEWS View Post
I was at the Publix Store in SS Saturday, a young boy was driving one of the electric baskets and He picked up a Halloween toy. He made a purchase and went outside to His Mother, who was panhandling with the "Living in Car" sign. I saw her stuff the change from the boy in Her bra.
Are you kidding? I mean, I am asking you sincerely whether your post was meant to be sarcastic humor. Did you post this in order to be funny, or did it happen?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Are you kidding? I mean, I am asking you sincerely whether your post was meant to be sarcastic humor. Did you post this in order to be funny, or did it happen?
I think he's saying it straight out that the money they were getting from panhandling, was given to the little boy....who went into the store to buy a Halloween toy. The change from that purchase was taken by the mother and deposited where she keeps her spare change.

I guess even gypsies don't deny their little ones a toy, whether poor or not.
I didn't see any other motive in his post.....than the boy bought a toy with the charity.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Sage

http://florida.newszap.com/okeechobeenorthlake/119898-113/gypsy-scammers-facing-over-70-felony-charges
Florida Gypsy scammers facing over 70 felony charges.
Remember, they "travel"....they are known as "the travelers" among other things. It's their lifestyle. Here today,gone tomorrow.

Police warnings all over the internet for every county in Florida and all the various states.......and Europe of course. They are criminals.

http://www.wfla.com/story/21084717/traveling-gypsy
Polk County Florida this past March; pics of the gypsy scammers.It's all over Florida if you google "gypsy scams 2013"; otherwise you get all the other years as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/blog/morning-edition/2013/01/hillsborough-sheriff-warns-of-gypsy.html
Tampa Bay area

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zE0zqfZLWAGypsy"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zE0zqfZLWAGypsy[/ame]
"Sweetheart" Scam, Orlando Florida; young gypsies preying on senior males

There are also a lot of gypsy fortune teller scams....but too many to post.

Ditto, a myriad of "healing" of cancer gypsy scams....again too many to post.

As someone else mentioned earlier.......in this day and age, there is no need to panhandle or beg for funds. Our social welfare climate will help them. Our churches should help those in dire need as well.

Help is out there. It truly is. Via legitimate avenues.

They don't want to give their identities or addresses or social security numbers........

Old 10-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Sage
Default In a nut shell

Citizens and homeowners should also be very wary of:

• Strangers knocking on your front door and striking up a long conversation. While you’re talking to the stranger their partner is either looking over your home or breaking into your home from the back.

• Hiring strangers to work on your house. One worker will keep you talking, while another is stealing from you.

• Hiring a caregiver without carefully checking their credentials. Run a criminal background check or ask agencies to provide you with a copy of the actual report.

• A caregiver who enters into an inappropriate relationship with an elderly loved one.

• A caregiver who tries to isolate your loved one and makes it difficult or impossible to speak to your loved one on the telephone.

• Fortune-telling scams where you or a loved one are told that evil is close but it can be warded off with help from the gypsy.

• Strangers either knocking on your door at home or approaching you in a parking lot about needing help because they are having car trouble.

The major also said homeowners should simply beware and ask questions. He said if there are any concerns, a legitimate contractor will appreciate you checking their license.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Sage

As far as the "fortune telling scams" mentioned, aren't all fortune tellers scammers? Any fool who falls for someone telling their fortune and scamming money from them deserves to have their money taken away - either by the the phony fortune teller OR by a court because they are not competent to handle their own funds.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Platinum member
Default Mmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
As far as the "fortune telling scams" mentioned, aren't all fortune tellers scammers? Any fool who falls for someone telling their fortune and scamming money from them deserves to have their money taken away - either by the the phony fortune teller OR by a court because they are not competent to handle their own funds.
Isn't "getting their fortune told" just simply paid entertainment for some? Just sayin'.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 10-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Isn't "getting their fortune told" just simply paid entertainment for some? Just sayin'.
No. What could possibly be entertainment over giving someone your money to tell your fortune which you know is BS. For those that believe in it there is no help. I think it should be considered fraud and against the law.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.