Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   The Gypsies are back in the Villages ! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/gypsies-back-villages-92133/)

OldManTime 10-20-2013 02:13 PM

The Gypsies are back in the Villages !

The Gypsies are back in the Villages, Travelers as called in some countries.
They are on the street corners, in front of the grocery stores, women and children, and good looking families For hundreds of years they have perfected there scams, its cash they want, and I have seen so many bleeding heart Villagers feeding them money. They look just like you and me, but believe me they have profected there trade. I have called the police, and by the time they get there there gone, they will not stay in one place more than 10 minutes. Its cold now up north, so they really enjoy our weather, and the generosity of the Villagers with out a clue. Friday I saw them get 3 hits in 2 minutes, today I saw 4 hits in 2 minutes.
Trust me here they have more money than you have.

Please call the police dispatch, Lake county, Sumter or marion counties when you see the beggars with the signs.

Thake a photo of them, watch them run!

gomoho 10-20-2013 03:59 PM

Saw a woman at the corner of O'Dell and where you come out of Colony Plaza. Sign said she lived in her car and needed help - had a young boy with her. She looked more Hispanic than gypsy. First time I've seen something like this in TV. No I didn't call the police 'cause I felt sorry for her - not sorry enough to give her money, but sorry enough to leave her alone.

red tail 10-20-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldManTime (Post 765785)
The Gypsies are back in the Villages, Travelers as called in some countries.
They are on the street corners, in front of the grocery stores, women and children, and good looking families For hundreds of years they have perfected there scams, its cash they want, and I have seen so many bleeding heart Villagers feeding them money. They look just like you and me, but believe me they have profected there trade. I have called the police, and by the time they get there there gone, they will not stay in one place more than 10 minutes. Its cold now up north, so they really enjoy our weather, and the generosity of the Villagers with out a clue. Friday I saw them get 3 hits in 2 minutes, today I saw 4 hits in 2 minutes.
Trust me here they have more money than you have.

Please call the police dispatch, Lake county, Sumter or marion counties when you see the beggars with the signs.

Thake a photo of them, watch them run!

There but for the grace of God, go I

manaboutown 10-20-2013 04:21 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/20/su...poor.html?_r=0

A friend sent me this link today. He was pick pocketed in both Amsterdam and Prague by them. People with whom I have toured various parts of Europe were pick pocketed by them. They use their children, too. Beware of them. They are not as they appear.

OldManTime 10-20-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomoho (Post 765835)
Saw a woman at the corner of O'Dell and where you come out of Colony Plaza. Sign said she lived in her car and needed help - had a young boy with her. She looked more Hispanic than gypsy. First time I've seen something like this in TV. No I didn't call the police 'cause I felt sorry for her - not sorry enough to give her money, but sorry enough to leave her alone.

They come in all nationalities, that is the MO, most all say that with children too.

KathieI 10-20-2013 04:38 PM

I have not seen any of these people around the villages, but they must be chased. There is no soliciting in TV and the Community Watch, at least, should be called.

Gomoho, did you mean Colony and Morse?? O'dell is after the Hadley gate, I'm pretty sure.

gomoho 10-20-2013 05:34 PM

Yes Kathie - thank you, I meant Colony and Morse.

stroglass 10-20-2013 05:37 PM

This is disturbing

hope this is not the norm in TV I will be looking for a home next week so hope this is not a major problem

Carl in Tampa 10-20-2013 06:04 PM

Gypsies

Quote:

Originally Posted by red tail (Post 765841)

No........... this is not a matter of poverty. This is a lifestyle.

In my younger days I was a deputy sheriff in Tampa. We watched closely for the annual influx of the Gypsies. We could often spot them as they traveled from the north into our county in pick up trucks loaded with cheaply made outdoor furniture. People who bought the furniture would find it fell apart quickly.

Next we would start getting calls from people who had been swindled by Gypsies who went house to house offering refinishing of asphalt driveways or re-roofing houses. It would turn out that the refinishing liquid would wash off during the next rain and the roofing was done with substandard material, or if they were paid in advance the work was not done at all.

At the same time, the day after they canvassed a neighborhood for "work" things which were left outdoors would be found to have been stolen.

This would be a good time for Villagers to quit leaving valuables, especially golf clubs, unattended in their golf carts.

Beware of the children. They are adroit pickpockets.

:police::police::police:

justjim 10-20-2013 06:21 PM

I take it that this group has been in TV before? Where do they stay when they are here? RV's campgrounds or motel's......sounds like this group raises the Bar of panhandling to a high level.

gomoho 10-20-2013 06:38 PM

I didn't think this population of people were much into panhandling. Think they are better at pickpocketing and scamming with work they will do for you.

Bogie Shooter 10-20-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stroglass (Post 765880)
This is disturbing

hope this is not the norm in TV I will be looking for a home next week so hope this is not a major problem

Not to worry. No panhandlers where you come from?
The laws in FL have changed and this is against the law.

Bogie Shooter 10-20-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 765904)
I take it that this group has been in TV before? Where do they stay when they are here? RV's campgrounds or motel's......sounds like this group raises the Bar of panhandling to a high level.

No reports in the last 11 years of being in TV. However, they in the past were near the Walmart on 441 and Home Depot. And at the exit of I75 at CR484.................been gone the last year.

ilovetv 10-20-2013 06:43 PM

Well, I've met a few people residing and visiting here, who complain there's not enough "diversity" in TV.

I like the real diversity of people coming from every state of the U.S., and from other countries.

I don't think we need to coddle or pander to swindlers and pickpockets, but some will look the other way on lawbreakers to prove a point.

perrjojo 10-20-2013 06:56 PM

There are panhandlers and there are The Gypsys Travlers.. The Gypsies have been preveloent in Texas and Georgia where we have lived before...Yes, beware. Normally they are scammeres. It is now against the law to panhandle in all three Village counties. Report these people... Most are professionals....not needy souls.