The Gypsies are back in the Villages !

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Veteran member
Default The Gypsies are back in the Villages !

The Gypsies are back in the Villages, Travelers as called in some countries.
They are on the street corners, in front of the grocery stores, women and children, and good looking families For hundreds of years they have perfected there scams, its cash they want, and I have seen so many bleeding heart Villagers feeding them money. They look just like you and me, but believe me they have profected there trade. I have called the police, and by the time they get there there gone, they will not stay in one place more than 10 minutes. Its cold now up north, so they really enjoy our weather, and the generosity of the Villagers with out a clue. Friday I saw them get 3 hits in 2 minutes, today I saw 4 hits in 2 minutes.
Trust me here they have more money than you have.

Please call the police dispatch, Lake county, Sumter or marion counties when you see the beggars with the signs.

Thake a photo of them, watch them run!
Old 10-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Sage

Saw a woman at the corner of O'Dell and where you come out of Colony Plaza. Sign said she lived in her car and needed help - had a young boy with her. She looked more Hispanic than gypsy. First time I've seen something like this in TV. No I didn't call the police 'cause I felt sorry for her - not sorry enough to give her money, but sorry enough to leave her alone.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTime View Post
The Gypsies are back in the Villages, Travelers as called in some countries.
They are on the street corners, in front of the grocery stores, women and children, and good looking families For hundreds of years they have perfected there scams, its cash they want, and I have seen so many bleeding heart Villagers feeding them money. They look just like you and me, but believe me they have profected there trade. I have called the police, and by the time they get there there gone, they will not stay in one place more than 10 minutes. Its cold now up north, so they really enjoy our weather, and the generosity of the Villagers with out a clue. Friday I saw them get 3 hits in 2 minutes, today I saw 4 hits in 2 minutes.
Trust me here they have more money than you have.

Please call the police dispatch, Lake county, Sumter or marion counties when you see the beggars with the signs.

Thake a photo of them, watch them run!
There but for the grace of God, go I
Old 10-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/20/su...poor.html?_r=0

A friend sent me this link today. He was pick pocketed in both Amsterdam and Prague by them. People with whom I have toured various parts of Europe were pick pocketed by them. They use their children, too. Beware of them. They are not as they appear.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Saw a woman at the corner of O'Dell and where you come out of Colony Plaza. Sign said she lived in her car and needed help - had a young boy with her. She looked more Hispanic than gypsy. First time I've seen something like this in TV. No I didn't call the police 'cause I felt sorry for her - not sorry enough to give her money, but sorry enough to leave her alone.

They come in all nationalities, that is the MO, most all say that with children too.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Dancing Thyme

I have not seen any of these people around the villages, but they must be chased. There is no soliciting in TV and the Community Watch, at least, should be called.

Gomoho, did you mean Colony and Morse?? O'dell is after the Hadley gate, I'm pretty sure.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 10-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Sage

Yes Kathie - thank you, I meant Colony and Morse.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:37 PM

This is disturbing

hope this is not the norm in TV I will be looking for a home next week so hope this is not a major problem
Old 10-20-2013, 06:04 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Gypsies

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
No........... this is not a matter of poverty. This is a lifestyle.

In my younger days I was a deputy sheriff in Tampa. We watched closely for the annual influx of the Gypsies. We could often spot them as they traveled from the north into our county in pick up trucks loaded with cheaply made outdoor furniture. People who bought the furniture would find it fell apart quickly.

Next we would start getting calls from people who had been swindled by Gypsies who went house to house offering refinishing of asphalt driveways or re-roofing houses. It would turn out that the refinishing liquid would wash off during the next rain and the roofing was done with substandard material, or if they were paid in advance the work was not done at all.

At the same time, the day after they canvassed a neighborhood for "work" things which were left outdoors would be found to have been stolen.

This would be a good time for Villagers to quit leaving valuables, especially golf clubs, unattended in their golf carts.

Beware of the children. They are adroit pickpockets.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts

I take it that this group has been in TV before? Where do they stay when they are here? RV's campgrounds or motel's......sounds like this group raises the Bar of panhandling to a high level.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Sage

I didn't think this population of people were much into panhandling. Think they are better at pickpocketing and scamming with work they will do for you.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroglass View Post
This is disturbing

hope this is not the norm in TV I will be looking for a home next week so hope this is not a major problem
Not to worry. No panhandlers where you come from?
The laws in FL have changed and this is against the law.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I take it that this group has been in TV before? Where do they stay when they are here? RV's campgrounds or motel's......sounds like this group raises the Bar of panhandling to a high level.
No reports in the last 11 years of being in TV. However, they in the past were near the Walmart on 441 and Home Depot. And at the exit of I75 at CR484.................been gone the last year.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Sage

Well, I've met a few people residing and visiting here, who complain there's not enough "diversity" in TV.

I like the real diversity of people coming from every state of the U.S., and from other countries.

I don't think we need to coddle or pander to swindlers and pickpockets, but some will look the other way on lawbreakers to prove a point.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There are panhandlers and there are The Gypsys Travlers.. The Gypsies have been preveloent in Texas and Georgia where we have lived before...Yes, beware. Normally they are scammeres. It is now against the law to panhandle in all three Village counties. Report these people... Most are professionals....not needy souls.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.