Health Clubs

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts
Default Health Clubs

My wife and I are thinking about joining a Health club, unfortunately it appears none of the clubs in the villages are "silver sneakers" clubs. However, I did want to get some information on the MVP club at Brownwood, as it is close by. Their website has no information on Initial cost and monthly dues, and we would be interested in others that use this facility and what they think of it.

Thank you.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
My wife and I are thinking about joining a Health club, unfortunately it appears none of the clubs in the villages are "silver sneakers" clubs. However, I did want to get some information on the MVP club at Brownwood, as it is close by. Their website has no information on Initial cost and monthly dues, and we would be interested in others that use this facility and what they think of it.

Thank you.
I have a membership, not inexpensive and I don't take advantage of all they offer....I did go to the Seabreeze gym when I rented here and it was ok but not even close to the standard and facility of MVP. MVP has trainers, varied equipment, a diverse schedule of classes. Stop by and take the tour. How's the mustang?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-16-2014, 09:46 AM

We belong to MVP and I like it very much. There is a lot of varied equipment available. Take the tour - when we did there was no pressure to sign up, which was pleasant.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Platinum member

Yes, I agree with the previous poster, just visit MVP and take the tour. If you live near the one in Brownwood, then that's the one you should tour. They can give you all the options and classes and you can see the actual classes and machines.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 11-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Dancing Thyme

Have you looked into Infinity Fitness? They are located on 441/27 in Fruitland Park. I believe they might have Silver Sneakers club, but I'm not 100% sure. Many of my friends go there, its less expensive than MVP and is very clean and nice. Here's their website.
Best Infinity Fitness and Spa |

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

My wife and I joined MVP at Brownwood last May and we have been going 4 or 5 mornings a week ever since. We live very close to Seabreeze and my neighbor belongs to that gym, so we visited that gym first. It was very small, reminded of a workout room at a motel. It costs my neighbor about $365 a year for one person. I had been working out at home for about 5 years already, so it seemed like I would be traveling to basically do the same thing I had been doing at home.

I then visited MVP at Brownwood, of course your initially impressed with the size of the building, they even have a basketball court and locker rooms with showers. What sets them apart is classes, there are three classrooms of different size with exercise equipment and stationary bikes. Some are for cross country biking, free weight exercises to yoga or cardio workouts. All through the day classes are offered at various times, they have printed schedules and electronic information boards on the wall like at an airport. The classes are lead by trained instructors with usually loud fast paced music. There is a main open area where treadmills, bikes, free weights and machines are available anytime without classes.

MVP is not cheap but we do like many others and that is to put it on our credit card and it's charged monthly and don't even see the bill. It's $59 a month for one person and $43 for the second member, with tax it's $109 per month. We've already knocked that down to $104 by referring a friend from my softball team. You get a $5 a month credit for every person you refer. If you were to stop by for a visit, they would give a short tour and a 3 day pass. If you have a referral from a member, they will give you a 7 day pass to try out the facilities and take any class you choose.

Last edited by John_W; 11-16-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Gold member

You could also try several of the free classes at various Rec Centers, they may do the trick for you. Many of these classes are serious workout classes, others a little less. Trial and error to find the combo that works for you. Also water aerobics at the sports pools are great, some more difficult than others.
I think that Anytime Fitness on 466 is a Silver Sneakers gym, we 're been there, it's fine.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Gold member

Silver Sneakers classes were offered at Curves between Subway and Cal's barber shop, when I check into it a few months back.
You can always call and double check.
1072 Lake Sumter Landing
The Villages, FL 32162
Phone: (352) 205-8693

Hours of Operation
Mon: 7am - 6:30pm
Tues: 7am - 6:30pm
Wed: 7am - 6:30pm
Thu: 7am - 6:30pm
Fri: 7am - 6pm
Sat: 8am - 12pm
Sun: 12pm - 4pm

Last edited by obxgal; 11-16-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Veteran member

Anytime fitness centers have silver sneakers. There is one on 466 in lady lake, I think there is one in wildwood. Another one on 441 down the street from walmarts.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Email Reported As Spam

There are a number of fitness centers in and around TV. Many rec centers have free programs . My wife utilized one free program three times a week. i belong to MVP The employees at MVP are very pleasant and helpful
Old 11-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

To all that replied, THANK YOU for all of the information.

JoMar, the Mustang is almost finished.......
Old 11-17-2014, 06:13 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

If you go out to the MVP web site , you can get a free 3 day pass and use either the Brownwood or Spanish Springs facility.

My wife is disappointed in their failure to continue offering Zumba at the Brownwood facility. Apparently they don't want to pay instructors as there are many available in the area. They say they cannot find trained instuctors.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Location: Caroline, Norwalk OH, Federal Way, WA. Stamford, CT. Tuscarora, PA

MVP seems like a cadillac option. Wish they could upgrade the regional centers a little. I'd pay $365 a year for a decent weight room and not much more. But $60 a month? Yikes! I guess you can charge that when you're largely the only show in town.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

Another benefit at MVP if you like to get a massage, you can pay an extra $30 per month and get a one hour massage each month. This is a half price massage and can be used by anyone, not just the member (makes a great gift). Their massage therapists are top notch.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

///

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.