Heavy Traffic

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2017, 03:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Heavy traffic? Huge backup? Have you people ever driven in any of our cities, or worse yet, cities in foreign countries? We are spoiled here in The Villages. Traffic goes from almost non existent to moderately light.

You are correct. The traffic here is nothing compared to a major city.
However, the difference is the way the roads and streets are designed and built.
Other cities do not have continual circles to navigate on the two main drags within a city.
They have stop/yield signs and traffic lights.
The traffic lights permit cars from side streets to access the main road when the main road light changes.

The roads outside the major parts of a city are built to accommodate heavy traffic.
Here we have two lane country bumpkin roads which are the equivalent of yesteryear's back road.
They have not kept up with the increased population.

One of these days the exterior roads will be widened,
but otherwise, we will just have to grit our teeth and feign a smile!
Old 03-09-2017, 05:54 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Posters speak of perception but perception is reality. I believe for full time people the reality is that from about April to October the roads are less crowded but then BANG and lines are forming everywhere.

Whereas living in a big city you become accustom to the routine of traffic bottlenecks, etc because it is a way of life
and the fun part was "making your move" you play games like did I pick the right meter lane? Can I speed up on the right to get to the left faster? should I use a mannequin to cheat and get in the HOV lane

Naw just take the back road and back streets and avoided it all...wait 100,00- other drivers had the same idea.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:23 AM
Sage

Just post signs-DO NOT DIRECT CART TRAFFIC--its against the law
Old 03-09-2017, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post

However, the difference is the way the roads and streets are designed and built.
Other cities do not have continual circles to navigate on the two main drags within a city.
The traffic lights permit cars from side streets to access the main road when the main road light changes.

The roads outside the major parts of a city are built to accommodate heavy traffic.
Here we have two lane country bumpkin roads which are the equivalent of yesteryear's back road.

What does any of that have to do with traffic? My understanding of the definition of traffic in this context is the number of cars on the road relative to the ability of the road to handle that many cars.

I just don't see waiting for five or six cars at a stop light as being heavy traffic.

At rush hour it can take an hour or more to go ten miles to get into a city. When I lived in Manila it once took me over an hour to go two miles.

Try going from Braintree, MA to downtown Boston at 7:00 am. It's about 12 miles and I would guess it would take 45 minutes to an hour.

Once you get into a major city there are thousands of cars and it's stop and go everywhere.

The round abouts in The Villages alleviate the traffic conditions. They allow traffic to flow more easily than stop signs. Think about what it would be if there were four way stops at every one of those intersections. People here don't understand the right of way laws as it is. We'd have people not going when they should and waving on people that don't have the right of way.

Give me round abouts and this light to moderate traffic and I'm fine.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:33 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

If it's not the traffic, it the lines at the grocery store. Until I moved here I've never seen people get so upset they had to wait behind 3 or 4 other people in line at the grocery store. Damn. I have to get back to the house and watch the grass grow.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
If it's not the traffic, it the lines at the grocery store. Until I moved here I've never seen people get so upset they had to wait behind 3 or 4 other people in line at the grocery store. Damn. I have to get back to the house and watch the grass grow.
I agree. Waiting for 3-5 or even five people at the supermarket is pretty normal in most places in the world.

As someone else said, I think that year round residents get spoiled over the summer.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

I do miss the self checkout lines in the supermarkets/Target from up north. I met one lovely lady at Winn Dixie that got in our line because she loved chatting with that particular checkout lady. Not the most efficient way to get through the market, but probably the friendliest.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:

Round-abouts (aka traffic circles) are a proven method to aid the flow of traffic in all four directions. That is why they exist throughout Europe. And it is why they exist in this well planned community.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:52 AM
Sage

Talking about check out out lines--people who insist on paying with checks in the express lines--IN NJ, Kings had a policy of cash or credit cards only,in express check out
Old 03-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Talking about check out out lines--people who insist on paying with checks in the express lines--IN NJ, Kings had a policy of cash or credit cards only,in express check out
Same rules in NY---but it didn't stop some people from getting on the 15 item express line with 65 items, then whipping out a fistful of coupons, half of which were expired or not for items purchased, followed by an argument with the cashier. Then they whip out their food stamps, and pay the remaining $2.17 with a check for $102.17 to get cash back, followed by an argument over showing proper ID, then a manager call, then another argument, and sometimes and accusation of discrimination on whatever basis. Was once behind a woman who had only 12 items and paid with cash----a bag of change that she slowly counted out $42.37 in quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies. Problem is that you cannot legislate common courtesy.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
What does any of that have to do with traffic? My understanding of the definition of traffic in this context is the number of cars on the road relative to the ability of the road to handle that many cars.
I just don't see waiting for five or six cars at a stop light as being heavy traffic.
At rush hour it can take an hour or more to go ten miles to get into a city. When I lived in Manila it once took me over an hour to go two miles.
Try going from Braintree, MA to downtown Boston at 7:00 am. It's about 12 miles and I would guess it would take 45 minutes to an hour.
Once you get into a major city there are thousands of cars and it's stop and go everywhere.
The round abouts in The Villages alleviate the traffic conditions. They allow traffic to flow more easily than stop signs. Think about what it would be if there were four way stops at every one of those intersections. People here don't understand the right of way laws as it is. We'd have people not going when they should and waving on people that don't have the right of way.
Give me round abouts and this light to moderate traffic and I'm fine.
No one is talking about the actual definition of the word traffic. All comments have to do with traffic here.

The circles in TV do not alleviate traffic conditions; most people do not know how to navigate them, which is the real problem.

I never made mention to four-way stop signs. Our two main arteries of Morse and Buena Vista should be free flowing with only the three traffic lights which are currently in use. The stop signs I made reference to would be for egress from each village on to these two arteries. It would be no different that yielding as we currently (are supposed to) do.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
No one is talking about the actual definition of the word traffic. All comments have to do with traffic here.

The circles in TV do not alleviate traffic conditions; most people do not know how to navigate them, which is the real problem.

I never made mention to four-way stop signs. Our two main arteries of Morse and Buena Vista should be free flowing with only the three traffic lights which are currently in use. The stop signs I made reference to would be for egress from each village on to these two arteries. It would be no different that yielding as we currently (are supposed to) do.
Two applicable quotes:

"You can't fix stupid"----Judge Judy

"Momma always said stupid is as stupid does"---Forrest Gump
Old 03-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Heavy traffic? Huge backup? Have you people ever driven in any of our cities, or worse yet, cities in foreign countries? We are spoiled here in The Villages. Traffic goes from almost non existent to moderately light.
You sound like my kids in Jacksonville. They laugh at me when I say something about our traffic. Of course, my son forgets about the non-traffic problems where he grew up...I haven't.

It's ok, we're retired so I don't care. I just leave a little earlier and if something holds me up and I'm late, so be it. The only complaint I really have is those people from the "big cities" that drive like they are still in the "big cities". SLOW DOWN!!

I remember the nail-biting ride this lil' ole country gal had in NYC. Being from a small town in comparison, Lubbock, TX, I had never experienced anything close to it! Interstates had not even come into full use (system created 1956) in 1960. The cab I was in went from the Idlewild Airport to the International Hotel. The guy put his hand on the horn and his foot in the carburetor and didn't let go of either one, weaving his way through traffic, until we slid to a stop at the hotel!
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-09-2017, 02:48 PM
Sage

"Most people do not know how to navigate" (the roundabouts) is an exaggeration. If this was true, you would expect a high rate of accidents and tie ups and that does not happen. It would, however, be accurate to say that most people do know how to navigate the roundabouts but people only remember the small number that have issues. It is easy to avoid issues - don't ever be adjacent to another car in the roundabouts.

Quote:

Old 03-09-2017, 04:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]...The circles in TV do not alleviate traffic conditions; most people do not know how to navigate them, which is the real problem...
The roundabouts are far more efficient than signals or stop signs. And "most people do not know how to navigate them" is a gross exageration.
Closed Thread

Tags
stop, officer, community, watch, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.