Does your CYV pool NOT have a birdcage?

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Veteran member
Default Does your CYV pool NOT have a birdcage?

In looking at TV via Google Earth & MSN maps I see that quite a few (but still probably less that 10%) of CYVs with pools don't have bird cages over them.

I realize that they're not required for CYVs since they all have the walled courtyards, but I'm curious if that is the ONLY reason that some don't.

We're not sure if we would want a birdcage over our pool. I know they keep out leaves & bugs, etc., but it seems like they would also cut out quite a bit of sun. We don't want a pool that seems shady all of the time. We enjoy floating & tanning in our pool here in Birmingham, and want to do the same when we retire, hopefully in TV.

Just wondering if those without birdcages wish they had one, or do they prefer their pool "naked & exposed" so to speak?

thanks for any input.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

I don't have a CYV but can say that our birdcage blocks little of the sun unless the sun is really low on the horizon. The sun is generally intense enough that we put on sunblock when using the pool. There is one disadvantage that I can think of for having the birdcage if you like to have live flowers within the screened area, and that is pollenation of those flowers. The screens would keep out our little pollenizer buddies.

The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Platinum member
Default Zoning Policies

If your yard is not totally enclosed, you will need to check on the local zoning requirements regarding fencing around swimming pools. Birdcages also keep out the local wildlife.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Email Reported As Spam

The Bird Cage over a pool or spa is a good idea. It does not keep out the sun but does keep away all those pesky critters
Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Gold member

We live in a corner CYV with a nice sized pool and birdcage. The birdcage looks nice and keeps out bugs, keeps my pup in and we can hang Christmas lights on it! If you want to take a look you are more than welcome to come over and check it out!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
I don't have a CYV but can say that our birdcage blocks little of the sun unless the sun is really low on the horizon. The sun is generally intense enough that we put on sunblock when using the pool. There is one disadvantage that I can think of for having the birdcage if you like to have live flowers within the screened area, and that is pollenation of those flowers. The screens would keep out our little pollenizer buddies.

The Villages Florida
Wow, that is one thing I hadn't thought of. We will want lots of plants & tropical flowers, and my wife loves her hummingbirds. I can see this may be a even tougher issue than I thought.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Go without the birdcage if it is not too much trouble to add it latter on. You will need to meet the local building codes so you may end up putting up a fence and then having to remove it.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Sage

No fences allowed.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
Wow, that is one thing I hadn't thought of. We will want lots of plants & tropical flowers, and my wife loves her hummingbirds. I can see this may be a even tougher issue than I thought.
If you have the room you could landscape around the outside of the birdcage. This is what we did.

In the back center we placed a weeping bottlebrush tree with red bottlebrish and blue or purple plumbagos underneath the bottlebrush. On the two corners we placed Robin Red Hollies that are basicly in the shape of Christmas trees, should grow to about the height of the birdcage sides and produce red berries.

Don't know if you're going to do all the design selection and work yourself, be we used Megan from TerraScape for the landscaping and she helped us to make a design that fit our wants and concepts. There are other good landscapers like Stellar, McGowan and Mansfield, but we're glad we chose TerraScapes and will continue to use them for any needs we have in the future. Below are a few more pictures showing what I described above.

p.s. if you or anyone else wants to see the landscaping and/or birdcage up close in person, please PM me to make arrangements for a visit.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	121124 House 20.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	7336   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	121124 House 21.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	7337  
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 12-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
No fences allowed.
All outdoor pools, that are not screened in, must have a four foot fence surrounding them pursuant to Florida law.

Pool Fence Laws in Florida - Florida Pool Fence Laws
Old 12-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
All outdoor pools, that are not screened in, must have a four foot fence surrounding them pursuant to Florida law.

Pool Fence Laws in Florida - Florida Pool Fence Laws
Sounds like a Catch-22. I am guessing they would have to request approval from TV.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 12-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
If you have the room you could landscape around the outside of the birdcage. This is what we did.

In the back center we placed a weeping bottlebrush tree with red bottlebrish and blue or purple plumbagos underneath the bottlebrush. On the two corners we placed Robin Red Hollies that are basicly in the shape of Christmas trees, should grow to about the height of the birdcage sides and produce red berries.

Don't know if you're going to do all the design selection and work yourself, be we used Megan from TerraScape for the landscaping and she helped us to make a design that fit our wants and concepts. There are other good landscapers like Stellar, McGowan and Mansfield, but we're glad we chose TerraScapes and will continue to use them for any needs we have in the future. Below are a few more pictures showing what I described above.

p.s. if you or anyone else wants to see the landscaping and/or birdcage up close in person, please PM me to make arrangements for a visit.
You have a beautiful yard Sky!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Sage

The Villa fence would fulfill the letter of the law
Old 12-08-2012, 07:50 PM

Fences are not allowed in tv
Old 12-08-2012, 09:18 PM

The OP is looking for information for a Courtyard Villa, which already has a fence installed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.