Help me identify UFO

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Do a Google search on "bright morning star east" you will get full explanation/theory as to what you saw.
December 2012 guide to the five visible planets | Astronomy Essentials | EarthSky
Old 12-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
This morning I went outside at about 6:10 am to get my newspaper. As I turned to come back toward the house (walking east) I looked up and saw what at first looked like a bright star. But almost instantly I realized it was too big and bright to be a star and there were no other stars in the sky.

It was not blinking or flickering and did not appear to be moving. It also did not have a distinct or perfect round shape. It was very much like a bright light coming from a star.

I went into the house to get my binoculars but it really didn't help as far as being able to see what it was. After about 5 minutes or so I realized it was getting smaller because it was moving away to the east (perhaps slighty southeast) So I kept watching until finally it was just a small dot in the sky. By that time it was 6:30 am.

What was it? Did anyone else see it?
I will not tease you as the others did, because several years back, my skeptical husband saw his first U.F.O. and it really shook him up........and no he was not drinking nor doing drugs.....to those who think Villages PL might have been.

I posted the entire "happening" a few months ago.......at TOTV.

I believe him as he was the biggest doubting Thomas ever.
And if he says he saw one, then I believe it. Not everything in the sky is explainable. WE've even known U.S. Air Force higher officers who seem to believe..........as well as there have been documented reportings by airplane pilots and astronauts.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
This morning I went outside at about 6:10 am to get my newspaper. As I turned to come back toward the house (walking east) I looked up and saw what at first looked like a bright star. But almost instantly I realized it was too big and bright to be a star and there were no other stars in the sky.

It was not blinking or flickering and did not appear to be moving. It also did not have a distinct or perfect round shape. It was very much like a bright light coming from a star.

I went into the house to get my binoculars but it really didn't help as far as being able to see what it was. After about 5 minutes or so I realized it was getting smaller because it was moving away to the east (perhaps slighty southeast) So I kept watching until finally it was just a small dot in the sky. By that time it was 6:30 am.

What was it? Did anyone else see it?
The Villages Florida

The International Space Station was visible over central Florida on Dec. 2nd from 6:19 to 6:25 AM, headed NW to SE, then again on Dec. 3rd from 5:31 to 5:35 AM, headed NNE to ESE. The brightness on these passes (mag 3.3 and mag 2.4, respectively) were among the highest it gets. When it fades, it's moving into the earth's shadow (or behind a cloud) and just disappears.

It can be seen with the naked eye and moves at a pretty good clip especially if stars are visible too, which gives you a good stationary reference. It takes about 5 minutes to cross the sky, doing 17,239 mph. It's about 250 miles up and can't be seen in daylight or darkness, only at morning and evening dusk. The Hubble Telescope (and other smaller satellites) can also be seen, but theyr'e not nearly as bright as reflection off the panels on the ISS.

The next bright pass (mag 3.5) of the ISS is on Sunday, Dec. 9th from 6:40 to 6:45 PM (not AM) headed SW to NE and goes almost directly overhead.

Best to stay away from street lights and find a dark area for the best view.

Class dismissed!

Skip
Old 12-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Platinum member

I agree with Skip. It was most likely the ISS.
Here's a link so you can track it: Space Station | See & Do | Locator
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
The Villages Florida

The International Space Station was visible over central Florida on Dec. 2nd from 6:19 to 6:25 AM, headed NW to SE, then again on Dec. 3rd from 5:31 to 5:35 AM, headed NNE to ESE. The brightness on these passes (mag 3.3 and mag 2.4, respectively) were among the highest it gets. When it fades, it's moving into the earth's shadow (or behind a cloud) and just disappears.

It can be seen with the naked eye and moves at a pretty good clip especially if stars are visible too, which gives you a good stationary reference. It takes about 5 minutes to cross the sky, doing 17,239 mph. It's about 250 miles up and can't be seen in daylight or darkness, only at morning and evening dusk. The Hubble Telescope (and other smaller satellites) can also be seen, but theyr'e not nearly as bright as reflection off the panels on the ISS.

The next bright pass (mag 3.5) of the ISS is on Sunday, Dec. 9th from 6:40 to 6:45 PM (not AM) headed SW to NE and goes almost directly overhead.

Class dismissed!

Skip
Now an IFO-- identified flying object.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Sage
I believe I mentioned that in post #3.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
I believe I mentioned that in post #3.
Mention was so nice, that it was mentioned twice!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Mention was so nice, that it was mentioned twice!
That happens a lot on here.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
That happens a lot on here.
I know! I think it happens to most of us. I don't think it's on purpose though, at least in most cases. It's just that a lot of people, including me, only partial read threads sometimes and miss that someone aready said whatever it was. Whenever someone repeats what I've already said, I just stop and remind myself about what I just said! Either way, no harm - no foul!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 12-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
The Villages Florida

Class dismissed!

Skip

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Could it have been the international space station?
She was the WINNER!!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
The Villages Florida

Class dismissed!

Skip
Thanks, that's interesting; I didn't know that. But you said it takes about 5 minutes to cross the sky. The object I saw went from very large to a very small dot in about 20 minutes.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarick View Post
Could've been a United Flying Over TV.
Planes have blinking lights and engine noise. I have seen planes in the nightime sky before and this was not a plane.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolSells View Post
Villages PL said "this morning I went outside at about 6:10 am to get my newspaper. As I turned to come back toward the house (walking east) I looked up and saw what at first looked like a bright star. But almost instantly I realized it was too big and bright to be a star and there were no other stars in the sky.

It was not blinking or flickering and did not appear to be moving. It also did not have a distinct or perfect round shape. It was very much like a bright light coming from a star."

I believe that what you saw was Jupiter. I have been seeing it myself and am in total awe! I mentioned it to my son and DIL and commented that it is so bright and since it is only this visible to us in Nov and Dec that it looked like 'The Star In The East'. Now the moving part I don't have an explanation for.
Yes, the "moving part" can't be explained by Jupiter. The object I saw went from very large to dot-size in about 20 minutes. And this morning I saw lots of stars in a clear sky but even the brightest would not compare to what I saw the night before.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There will be a star in the EAST.

Heard that lovely line before.

And while I think of it. Merry Christmas, Villages Pl.

We are in a flight pattern for landing at Orlando International.

On a clear night you can see them flying over us verrrrrry slowly it seems.
Merry Christmas, graciegirl.

This object was not a plane. In the past I have often looked at planes flying through the nightime sky. Planes appear to be moving with blinking lights but no light as bright as what I saw.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.