Handicap parking

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2012, 02:56 AM
Default Handicap parking

In CT. it's a felony crime for a doctor to give false information on a handicap parking application . A doctor under oath will sign the application.

Many people are so lazy they just go to their doctor and complain of some condition just to get a parking permit. I've seen people that really need a close parking space only to see all the spaces full, watching these I notice many people come out of a store carrying lumber ,gas grills, arms full of food bags etc. getting into their vehicle in a restricted handicap parking space. Maybe a few do need parking but if you can walk 100ft without a medical device such as a wheelchair or walker you don't qualify .
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 AM
Sage

I think there are conditions other than difficulty in walking that qualify a person for a handicapped permit.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-08-2012, 06:58 AM

Don't judge a person by appearances. I use to do that and now I have MD. You wouldn't know it by looking at me but I can't feel my feet so walking and standing are difficult. I also have trouble balancing. You might see me carrying a bunch of two by fours because I'm not an invalid. It might be difficult but if you don't use it you will loose it.the moral,of the story is don't judge people because you could end up in their shoes or worse. Take it from someone who knows.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:06 AM

I understand your frustration, but please understand that there are also people with cardiac issues who cannot walk long distances but do not require a walker or wheelchair. Also, some people have good days and bad days. On the bad days, they need to park close. I agree that on good days they should leave the handicap spaces for people who really need them. However, some people could not leave the house alone before obtaining a handicap permit due to fear of not being able to walk from the parking space to where they needed, or wanted, to go due to health conditions. Such people should not be house confined. It is sometimes difficult to see a person's disability just be looking at that person.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamby View Post
In CT. it's a felony crime for a doctor to give false information on a handicap parking application . A doctor under oath will sign the application.

Many people are so lazy they just go to their doctor and complain of some condition just to get a parking permit. I've seen people that really need a close parking space only to see all the spaces full, watching these I notice many people come out of a store carrying lumber ,gas grills, arms full of food bags etc. getting into their vehicle in a restricted handicap parking space. Maybe a few do need parking but if you can walk 100ft without a medical device such as a wheelchair or walker you don't qualify .
FELONY????I think not. Can you quote me a statute #?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Veteran member
Default Handicap cheaters!

There are many people who "cheat the system". They use other people's Handicap hanger when they do not need it. There are people who convince the Dr. to give them one because at there age they deserve it. I have dealt with 3 family members who truly need the Handicapp space. For those who "cheat", park as far away from the store as possible, you probably need the EXERCISE !
Old 12-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Are you saying that: you are more disabled then someone else therefore you deserve the parking spot more?

Just checking
Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 AM

I find this pretty interesting. I've had a permit for about 12 years since sustaining permanent spinal cord damage that makes walking very difficult.

It does seem that these permits are subject to state law. When I first got mine Kansas law required a signed application from a doctor or other health care worker. The law has changed and it is no longer required. Personally, I thought it was a good idea to require it. Of course we are a state with a pretty sparse population and it generally isn't too bad here. Although, if you get to Walmart early in the morning you'll find the parking lot almost empty, the handicapped spots full and all the electric carts in use. I guess us old folks like to get up and beat the rush.

I think one of the problems that might happen is having a legitimate reason for getting one, but then getting better and continuing to use the permit. I do know that happens and I wonder how many people would turn it back in or just stop using it. It certainly has been a godsend for me, and I can see how it would be hard to go back...although I'd sure trade it to be able to walk normally again.

I also wonder in TV if the high concentration of older people puts much more of a burden on the restricted parking places. I'm guessing like most state the percentage of parking places is dictated by law. It probably should be higher in concentrated retirement areas. Of course, there really isn't any place as concentrated as TV.

In the end, it's like anything else, common courtesy helps a great deal; some people have it and some don't. When I pull in if there is a normal spot fairly close and only one handicapped spot left, I'll take the normal one to leave a spot. But on the other hand if there is a single normal spot open and several handcapped, I take the handicapped to leave that spot open for some mom with several little kids.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Gold member

I agree that appearances may be deceiving. My Dad had a massive heart attack when he was 59. The heart attack left him with 10-15% of a functioning heart. After his initial recovery, you would never know that he was so sick to look at him. Dad still liked to walk a bit to keep up his strenght. But the handicap sticker was a lifesaver on the days he didn't have any energy. Thankfully, Dad lived over 25 years after his heart attack. Mom now has a handicapped license plate and they gave her a hang tag for my car as I usually drive her around. I never use a handicapped space if she is not with me.

I remember an occasion when I took my aunt to a doctor's visit. I stayed in the car when she went in the office. A young man came flying into the parking lot in a bright red convertible with the music blasting! I was appalled when he backed into a handicapped parking spot! To my amazement, as he sat in his front seat, he pulled a wheelchair out of his back seat. He must have had amazing upper body strenght!

So, yes, looks can be deceiving.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Gold member
Default I'm with ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow1 View Post
Don't judge a person by appearances. I use to do that and now I have MD. You wouldn't know it by looking at me but I can't feel my feet so walking and standing are difficult. I also have trouble balancing. You might see me carrying a bunch of two by fours because I'm not an invalid. It might be difficult but if you don't use it you will loose it.the moral,of the story is don't judge people because you could end up in their shoes or worse. Take it from someone who knows.
I have MS and have my good and my bad days. On my good days you can see me walking like almost everyone else except a lot slower. I also (see above)can't feel my feet so walking and standing are difficult. I also have trouble balancing.
I get along well enough with the things I need to do, and some I love to do.It's a stoney path we walk and having a handicapped sticker helps smooth out the obstacles.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Gold member

people need to leave the enforcement of these things to the appropriate folks. there are many here that love to worry about what others are doing and they forget to mind themselves.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
people need to leave the enforcement of these things to the appropriate folks. there are many here that love to worry about what others are doing and they forget to mind themselves.
Never seems to be a shortage of folks self-appointing themselves to the Handicap Police.
Present company excluded, of course.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 12-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Veteran member

I can understand a number of points a view here. In 2 years I had 3 major surgeries. 2 knee replacements & a very tricky kidney surgery. While the knee replacements took away the grinding in my knees I have the beginnings of RA and more days than not I am VERY stiff. The kidney surgery left me with a bit of a creaky back. Somedays I use my cane, somedays I do not. I hate using it and try to not use it if I think I can get away with it.

Now with that said, I am 6'2". I look relatively young for my age and I look like I could kick Paul Bunyan's butt. HOWEVER..I'd probably lose a fight with a 5 year old. I have seen the EYES of people when I get out of my truck. I have also heard the VOICES of people who have yelled at me for parking in "their" spot. I avoided getting a tag for as long as I possibly could..essentially my doc & my wife (almost one in the same) insisted that I get one.

Others have said that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Correct. And others have said that people should leave enforcement of parking to those who's job it is to do just that. I agree.

In Maryland the cops have taken to cruising parking lots and if it looks like you just might be using Aunt Foofy's HCP tag to get a prime parking spot you will be asked to present your state HCP card & your ID and they had better match up. In Maryland as well as NY & PA you need a doctor's signed paper to get your tag. And...according to the Florida DMVs website, the same applies in Florida. So it's quite likely that somebody holding a tag has a medical reason for it. Leave it at that.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

It always amazes me when people think they know more about someone by casual observation then that persons medical doctor does. I don't know what the laws in CT are but I know in many states the handicap laws cover much more than how far you can walk without assistance. It seems to me if you are going to judge if a person is handicapped based on what they carry out of the store you could also make a claim that a handicapped person shouldn't even go shopping, after all if they are bad enough to need parking close to the store by what you seem to imply above they shouldn't be able to do anything. My wife has a heart condition, to look at her you would never know. She can even carry a couple of bags of groceries all by her little old self but, without warning she can get dizzy and need assistance getting to the car. She can't drive but she likes to be as independant as possible and carry her own bags. When she does get dizzy it takes a lot of effort to get her to the car or a close by chair but she doesn't use a cane or walker. So by your judgement above even though she qualifies and needs a handicap parking space we should park further out because we don't have your approval to park in a handicapped space. Oh I forgot to add she's 51 looks like she's in her mid 30's so I'm sure you would think she is some kid trying to game the system. Like my mother in law use to say "Lord save me from the good people"
Old 12-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:

I can understand where you're coming from in your underlying message here, but with all due respect your last sentence tells me that you're out of touch with some of the realities of being handicapped.

I have qualified for a handicapped placard and possesed one for several years now and for multiple justifications... and I can walk for more than 100 ft, not comfortably, but I can. Did you stop to think that it goes well beyond just walking from the car to the entrance of a store; that ones endurance while at the store can be a big issue and that having enough strength left to make it back to the store is necessary? I'll bet not!

One thing I can personally assure you is that if I didn't need that handicapped placard and parking space, I wouldn't have invested around $3600 for each mobility scooter I've owned, and I wouldn't have invested well over $50,000 for a specially designed mobility vehicle that's capable of kneeling and deploying a ramp so I can drive off then back onto the vehicle... unless someone blocked my ramp door because they failed to see (or worse ignored) the conspicious notice on the ramp door notifying them that space for the deployment of the ramp was needed!

I could say more, but I've already said more that I should have to!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.