Help needed with noisy dogs

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Unhappy Help needed with noisy dogs

My husband and I purchased a brand new CYV at the end of last year and our goal is to move in end of 2016. The home has been put in the long term rental pool. The house has been shown many times and shows beautifully BUT we have lost out on at least 2 renters because our next door neighbor has at LEAST 2 dogs that bark incessantly. The agent believes they are left out all day. This is a showstopper for our rental opportunity and we have already missed out on Jan/Feb and March rentals!!
We have contracted Code Enforcement and Animal Control - and found out that there have been numerous complaints from other neighbors about these dogs and they will talk to them - but that's it.....
We are at our wits end -- anyone have any suggestions? We are in Massachusetts - so we are doing all of this long distance.....
Help!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicknRo View Post
My husband and I purchased a brand new CYV at the end of last year and our goal is to move in end of 2016. The home has been put in the long term rental pool. The house has been shown many times and shows beautifully BUT we have lost out on at least 2 renters because our next door neighbor has at LEAST 2 dogs that bark incessantly. The agent believes they are left out all day. This is a showstopper for our rental opportunity and we have already missed out on Jan/Feb and March rentals!!
We have contracted Code Enforcement and Animal Control - and found out that there have been numerous complaints from other neighbors about these dogs and they will talk to them - but that's it.....
We are at our wits end -- anyone have any suggestions? We are in Massachusetts - so we are doing all of this long distance.....
Help!!!
Wow-sorry you are having difficulties. We have heard this discussion many times with CYV and dogs barking. Maybe it is the echo of the walls? Or the fact that potential renters are viewing the property and the dog hears someone and can't see the person? Not sure--but what a sad situation.

Not sure about Florida Law- in Virginia we would call local City/County Police Dept for "nuisance" noise. They would send an officer or animal control officer out. If the dog is found to be barking constantly they would indeed make contact with the owner- after the 3rd complaint citations for noise control would be issued.

I always rented our property site unseen- by photos online that I would send potential renters. I placed an ad in the Daily Sun- emailed photos of the interior/exterior and never had a problem renting out my home 1/2007-06/2012. I had a patio villa, not a court yard for rental property.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:34 PM

I would stand at his front door all night ringing his doorbell every night until he got the message
Old 03-06-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbouley View Post
I would stand at his front door all night ringing his doorbell every night until he got the message
That's a little difficult since the OP lives in MA.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:56 PM

Did you notice it says "I" and not they.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Dog Barking Laws in Florida | eHow

You may want to check the County Ordinances for whatever part of the Villages this is in or City laws if it is in Wildwood or Lady Lake.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Help!!!
Which county is your Villages property in?
Old 03-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Gold member

OP said "My husband and I purchased a brand new CYV at the end of last year". From that information I would say they purchased in Sumter county, being that's the only area new homes were being built last year.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Sage

1. Find out as much about the dogs as you can.
2. Offer them up for adoption for free.
3. Wait for the owners to drive off and immediately kidnap them and delver them to the adoptive family.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Sage

We rented a CYV for a week and upon arrival were greeted by the neighbor's crazy barking dog - settled down as soon as he realized he wasn't scaring us away. We rented on line so had no idea about this dog so I can certainly understand an issue if someone is previewing the property and are faced with this. The only recourse I see is to somehow speak to your neighbor and come to an agreement Perhaps you could have
whoever is showing your property tape the commotion and you could then confront the neighbor with that evidence.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 PM

We are in the Village of Pinellas. Thanks for the replies....I especially liked the door bell response. We are actually coming this weekend...found out there were other complaints about these dogs...so perhaps we can form a mob!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
We are in the Village of Pinellas. Thanks for the replies....I especially liked the door bell response. We are actually coming this weekend...found out there were other complaints about these dogs...so perhaps we can form a mob!!!
Good luck... Hope things work out for ya!!! More than anything, have a fun time!!!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-06-2014, 09:18 PM

I had a similar problem in a house we owned. The dog barked from 6AM onward. I finally called the neighbor. She was so apologetic. I never heard that dog bark again. Give them a call. Tell them just what you said here. You may be surprised. In a positive or negative way. But, either way, you have nothing to lose
Old 03-06-2014, 09:19 PM

Try one of the dog bark control devices that you place in your own yard (most say they work up to 50 feet), or offer to buy the owners a bark control collar.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike42 View Post
Try one of the dog bark control devices that you place in your own yard (most say they work up to 50 feet), or offer to buy the owners a bark control collar.
I like that, every time the dog barks the owners get a shock in the neck.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.