Help with rat removal...nest in lanai soffit??

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2017, 09:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
I hired a pro wasn't cheap approx $700.00 set traps & closed where the varmints were getting in-couple of follow up visits-to make sure
CHATBRAT, you hit the nail on the head with that question, $700. rat traps, that some slick expert wants to get some of your retirement. Personally I think for $700. you really could get some really good advice over the internet. If I hired every person that came to my door wanting to do something & I mean every imaginable expert has been knocking on my door saying this needs done or that, I would be broke by now. But then again maybe you have a bigger rat problem than most of us. Rats will eat anything, I would try the best rat poison you can buy. $700. will buy you alot. Personally $700. is a rip off!
Old 01-23-2017, 12:11 PM

I bought 2 live traps from Amazon, ones they cannot get out of.nThen you have a choice, you have a Live rat. You can throw a couple of pieces of TOM CAt in the trap as well as having capful of peanut butter ( I used old bottle caps) and caught 11 rats. This way, poisoned bait traps exterminators use which allow rats to die outside their traps where othe animals can get them is avoided. I have the traps now along the side of the house . Have not caught any more for 2 months, so I guess the group was cleaned out or moved away. CAUTION. if traps are outside, you will catch the local squirrel perhaps twice, but they get smart fast. I don't bait TOM CAT in the outside traps, but toss a piece in after catching a rat until the surreal has been caught once and won't enter again.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:22 PM
Default I have 4 bird feeders

I use safflower seeds in 2 , squirrels hate it, rats love it. Sunflower and finch seed in the others, expensive squirrel busters. I keep seed in dog food containers which are each in a large black garbage bag and all three in a deck box.
Have live rat traps, no more rats for several months. The black boxes exterminators use allow the rat to eat and leave. Dangerous .
Old 01-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Default Rats...Ugh!

Try mint to rid your property of rats. They hate it.
you can plant mint around perimeter areas (it multiplies like crazy) or buy mint spray. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2017, 04:14 PM
Sage

Would you be able to climb on your roof fix access points on your roof vents, would you be able to club thru the mounds of blown in insulation in your attic to locate & place the traps- one misstep & you will have done more damage to your ceilings than what I paid the exterminator.

We're no longer kids- we can't climb & crawl like we used to & a hot attic is a lousy place to have a heart attic--if you can afford --hire a pro
Old 01-23-2017, 07:14 PM
Default Rat Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich61 View Post
THANK YOU ALL FOR your suggestions.....I will be pulling out my grapefruit tree and replacing it with a bottlebrush....ALSO, I should have shared the Villages is already "OVER pesticidal" and an offer like Dean's to treat with traps and pour liquid insecticide around my house every 3 months is a DEAL BREAKER.....rats don't cause cancer.....pesticides do and my Company is Alliance who uses environmental treatments.....they also wanted $400 to do this....I will be going the route with the alternate traps....THANKS ALL!!
In Orlando hi also had citrus trees and palm trees. One day I discovered I had at least one rat. I went to Home Depot and the gentleman there told me I needed to cook bacon. So he had me buy his little rat poison squares and cook bacon and then wrap the poison with the bacon. They could not resist and the rats were gone. I found them out on the sidewalk dead. I also am not fond of poison so in today's world I would try the sticky traps with fried bacon.

But I decided then I would never have citrus trees in my yard again. If you have birdseed you need to keep it in a contained bucket with a very good lid on it. But I would not have any birdseed in my yard for a while until you get your problem resolved. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2017, 01:41 PM

Give a try with Sticky Pads you can buy in any Hardware store or Walmart. Lay 3or 4 inside your Garage on the outer edge and were you mind think there come in. Once there step on it there can't go no place anymore. Then take a shovel and dispose it . Hope it will help !!
Closed Thread

Tags
rats, chewed, rat, peanut, butter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.