Helpful advice and warnings for brand new Villagers.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoomer View Post
Hi! I'm new to the forum, living in NJ, and considering moving to the Villages at some point down the road. Does everyone need a water "system"? What's wrong with the water out of the tap/shower head?
The builder told us that the water is treated with chlorine, as is required by law in the state for runs of the kind of distances involved in The Villages. Some people notice the taste of chlorine and some don't. Simple water filter systems seem to make it fine for most folks who do taste it. Complex and expensive whole-home filter systems do the job as well, but many people on this forum seem the feel that the main beneficiaries of those systems are the people who sell them, not the people that use them. As far for bathing and washing, some people have complained that clothes washers and dishwashers don't work as well, but on closer examination, it's often that they are using new appliances that are required to use as little water as possible. It's like low-flush toilets vs. the old ones. They may not work as well but you can't really blame the water quality for that.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:03 PM

My husband and I are planning to move to the Villages in 2017.
We are looking forward to the move however we have many questions.
How is the pest control ?
Old 03-14-2016, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1021 View Post

Deans or Masseys, both great, no problem with bugs. Lived here almost nine years. Need to call them for an ant or two sometimes.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1021 View Post
I usually say "I'm late for golf, I'll talk to you later." For bugs, listen to Gracie.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:47 PM

I thought there is a no soliciting in TV. A wannabe here!
Old 04-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Email Reported As Spam

my advice. Do not get Century Link for your Tv and internet service!
Old 04-27-2016, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel 1952 View Post
I thought there is a no soliciting in TV. A wannabe here!
That doesn't mean that folks won't try to solicit.

New homeowners are usually deluged with doorbell ringers. I say to WAIT to do anything for at least six months and that includes buying a golf cart. Well maybe three months...and consider a used one.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:40 PM

But I want my golf cart! Thank you. LOL
Old 04-27-2016, 04:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel 1952 View Post
But I want my golf cart! Thank you. LOL
No point waiting, you'll eventually buy one anyway.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:09 PM

Be very careful to evaluate whether privacy is important to you before picking your home. Having a noisy neighbor is tough to deal with. If privacy is on the top of your list, I would ask to sit in the lanai of the home that I was considering a couple of evenings just to find out what it is like. Of course, there is no guarantee that your neighbors will not turn over.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:52 PM
Smile It's WATER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoomer View Post
Hi! I'm new to the forum, living in NJ, and considering moving to the Villages at some point down the road. Does everyone need a water "system"? What's wrong with the water out of the tap/shower head?
I'm actually a biochemist. We do NOT have any filtration system in our home. The water contains chlorine, yes. It also has fairly high levels of calcium (go figure, limestone in the area), decent levels of iron, magnesium, manganese and other trace minerals. These are all normal items you have in your body, and most people don't drink barrels of water per day to absorb too much of these. Nothing really bad in there; nothing really you could call a "serious contaminant". People make $$ selling water systems, and some people like to use "high pressure sales" to make that $$. Yes, over time, you get calcium build-up, but it can be easily cleaned with a simple solvent you can purchase anywhere. Do what YOU see fit, but need it? It's not critical...
Old 07-17-2016, 07:09 AM

I met a couple recently at a block party who said they have stopped asking people they meet "Where did you move here from" and instead ask "What do you wish you had done differently in your move?" I think it is a fantastic question with lots to be learned. He said the number one response has always been that people wish they had left their furniture back where they came from. Usually their old furniture is too large to fit in most of the homes here and looks out of date in a place that is so light and airy most of the time. They wish they had given the furniture away to family or charity or sold it and didn't pay the cost of shipping it to The Villages because it just doesn't work here. That is what we did and we agree with them.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:28 AM

Each person is different. My husband could drink the tap water and it did not bother him but I could not drink it without getting sick to my stomach. We bought a whole house water filtration system and could not be more pleased. We used the same company as several of our friends used (Pegasus) and have never regretted purchasing it for one minute. Now our water is delicious and we don't have the annoying calcium build up we had before in our first home in The Villages. I am so happy that I can get a delicious glass of water out of the tap and the water in the shower feels so great. It is true that you have to be careful with the company you deal with. Even though we used a company that was recommended by several friends, WHILE OUR SALESPERSON WAS STILL HERE, I had my husband talk to them while I went to our office and looked them up on the Better Business Bureau website and others and saw that they had a great rating and reputation. All companies are not like that, there are some crooked salespeople out there but I have to say we could not be happier with our system and would recommend it to anyone. I think, of all the improvements we have made to our home, the Pegasus water system has been my favorite improvement we have done. I also save money because we no longer have to buy bottled water. And white things like tee-shirts do not turn yellow after repeated washing in unfiltered water.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:16 AM
Platinum member
Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJones View Post
I'm actually a biochemist. We do NOT have any filtration system in our home. The water contains chlorine, yes. It also has fairly high levels of calcium (go figure, limestone in the area), decent levels of iron, magnesium, manganese and other trace minerals. These are all normal items you have in your body, and most people don't drink barrels of water per day to absorb too much of these. Nothing really bad in there; nothing really you could call a "serious contaminant". People make $$ selling water systems, and some people like to use "high pressure sales" to make that $$. Yes, over time, you get calcium build-up, but it can be easily cleaned with a simple solvent you can purchase anywhere. Do what YOU see fit, but need it? It's not critical...
I agree with you. We were raised in a Florida house with the well water from a private utility and lived through it. Nothing wierd about our clothes, bathing water or drinking water because it was a very deep well.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:46 AM
Veteran member

Asking for a bit of advice on buying here? Here is our two cents
1. Take your time, you can buy from a private party, use the Newspaper to look, or from an outside realtor, Remax or Grizzard are very good or from the Villages, use the Lifestyle program, they may furnish a golf cart and you pay for a villa to rent, a good deal to look around.
2. Again,,,,,,,,,,,,TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO NOT IMPULSE BUY !!!!!
3. Be Very Careful of maintenance people and sales people, you are the cash cow, you have the money and they want to get to it.
4. Maintenance, we used and really enjoyed: Action Jackson, Bill McKenzie of Gable Insulators, Tim Cox and the plumber, Isherwood. Be careful and get EVERYTHING IN WRITING and DO NOT give anyone a dime until perhaps they are 75% done.
5. Take time to write up a simple contract and get a signature and a firm time frame and no money up front, not one dime.
6. On moving here, item number one, set on the location, then on home size, then on by owner or realtor or by the Villages, and good luck.
7. Be vert dutiful on DOCUMENTATION,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, DO IT.
8. We bought an electric cart from AGC carts, they are good, they cover everything for the first year, they come out to you.

Last edited by bbbbbb; 07-17-2016 at 09:50 AM. Reason: adding

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.